Beta Build 1.13 (12 Feb 2013)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'm pleased to report that the "Closing your client should cause a battle loss" deal, intended to avoid free retries, does NOT apply when you are legitimately between the battles in an adventure. You still can safely close at that time and resume play later.

Farbs likes this.
  2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

That pleases me also!

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

It felt way to easy to cheese before - however, losing due to dc or game hang is a bit annoying. No possibility to save per round in adventures? Guess that would be too much server load.

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

And I just tested to make sure I could completely ruin my own adventure by quitting in the middle of a fight. Yes, during fights, closing the window causes you to lose. If you do it repeatedly, you can fail the whole adventure and have to quit or pay for resurrection. Two other observations:

When I did this on the second battle of an adventure, the battle description (the right hand page, with the adventure description on the left) had an issue. I resumed play with the battle description telling me about the fight I just won (the first battle). Then, when I clicked the button to go check out my inventory and make any changes (you know: the screen that normally would give me loot, but wisely doesn't since I was just resuming after a "crash"), the battle description magically changed to the second fight's text before it left the screen. Normally, it waits until you're looking at your inventory before it changes.

Also, I did this in Black Oaken Heart. I did not see any improvement to the tree models, despite the changelog saying so.

5. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Not so much server load as client interface initialisation overhead. Right now the client view of the game is driven by events, eg:
    1. A monster tries to Bash your character so the Bash card zooms to the middle of the screen
    2. Your character reacts with Dodge, so that card zooms to the middle of the screen
    3. The battle then requests a new location for the character who Dodged, so the client lights up possible destination squares

If you then disconnected and reconnected, the client would need to know that your character was dodging a specific attack, and set all of the cards and highlights up correctly. It's certainly not impossible to do, but it requires a second codepath for all of these effects and would be an enormous amount of work. So, for now, this feature is on the wish list.

6. Pengw1n

Saving after every card played could be too much to ask, but maybe reverting to "save points" which are created every time both players passes and a new round begins - that wouldn't require the server to keep track of what the player was doing when he dc'd? would it?

7. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yes, it is.

8. Jon

Matchmaking works but the lobby itself doesn't.

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The reload counting as a loss is really punitive against people like me with poor connections and will severely dampen my excitement and fun in the game if it goes through without some kind of safety net for legit disconnections.

10. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Thanks ! Pics are going straight to the card scripter's pool for testing ! :)

11. Jon

The problem is that we can't distinguish between a "legitimate" disconnect and an intentional one. How often are you seeing a disconnect in battle?

12. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

I can type in chat and see my typing, but I can't see any users either (including myself of course)

13. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

somewhere between 2 and 8 times a day depending on how much i play and the general weather outside

14. Jon

Out of how many battles? i.e. 10%, 20%, etc?

15. Molotova

Molotova Mushroom Warrior

This can be abused can't it ? If one does not like how the round is going,... pull the plug!

16. HAHAHAHA

Fixed i-quit-but-the-world-map-disagrees bug

Classic bug!

17. Pengw1n

True, but to a much lesser degree than before - especially if it saves the card draw you get, so you can't replay "bad draws" by reloading.

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

between 5%-10% overall

19. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Where was it? Between the couch cushions? Under the bed? Somehow in the pocket of that jacket you swear you haven't worn in months?

Wonderful. The one item type I absolutely do not need more of. :p

I love the new design of the Chest store(s). I also love all of the new card artwork. All of it. I just really wish it was on, you know, new cards. Not the same cards I already loved the old artwork of and prefer the old artwork for. :rolleyes:

20. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I see you guys added prompt on login. Very nice!