Beta brutally unfun around level 7 and above.. help!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by sdlufkin, May 13, 2013.

1. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I love the iron in this thread as it seams like when people won the "the early levels are too hard and it takes the fun out" they now don't actually have to learn enough from them to carry them for the rest of the game instead making it too hard once the hand holding somewhat ends... and yes i know I'm being very general and some people might actually have learned but in that case just disregard this.

2. PorridgeGolem

PorridgeGolem Kobold

The Viscous Tombs kicked my arse - that's where I was forced to spend gold to revive my party for the first time. I got through it eventually with a bit of luck. Anyone have good strategies that beat that final encounter consistently (2 burning skeletons, 4 yellow blobs I think)? It's an interesting challenge I think, though you could probably cheese it with a full mage party. I tried to get a good balance of slicing and crushing damage along with lots of defence on the fighter and priest, backed up by a high damage mage.

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

If you have a standard party: Killing the skeletons was the key as far as I recall it, had to check my old journal - was 2 Burning Skeletons and 3 Yellow Puddings, might have been tuned up since then. I would suggest crushing (for skeletons) and reach (for the puddings) attacks for your warrior - slicing means toe to toe with puddings, which isn't all that nice. Dissolve and/or Boil Armor very useful on the mage (esp when they fix the only bones bug).

4. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Dissolve Armor worked just fine against Only Bones when I tried it today.

Pengw1n likes this.
  5. The_Mormegil

The_Mormegil Mushroom Warrior

The way I went about that encounter IIRC was to smash the skeletons with crushing attacks from the priest and fighter, then focus the blobs with the mage as they had little mobility and could be kited easily.

6. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Two things:
    YES. Oh, thank goodness. I'm so glad.

I'm trying to find the point in the "First impressions thread" where this same thing happened to someone else, but it eludes me. See, this sort of conversation reoccurs over and over on the forums: "Something is going terribly wrong in my game and I can't advance." "Okay, have you tried mixing things up in manner X? How about Y? Maybe Z?" "X is impossible, Y is impractical . . . oh, Z! Z worked!"

So with a change of character you got different cards into play and rocked on. A lot of people would be completely unwilling to do that: "What, level-up someone new? I've spent days on my current build! What are you thinking?!" Hence, in my game, I figured I'd start running all 9 possible characters in different parties and see where they got stuck. My two-Wizards-and-a-Priest build is currently having the hardest time: but all three parties defeated adventure levels 6 through 8.

Second:
    No, I am at exactly the same place: my slots showed up before I had the right equipment, too. I got Helmet slots and then had nothing to put in them. Same with all three types of class skills. I believe the issues is that this time (after the reset) I have not purchased a single chest, nor a single item from the stores. I consider myself lucky that I had a Human Skill and an Elf Skill available when those slots unlocked. (No Dwarf skill, though!)

So I'm playing the same game you are. I don't want to tell you to do the impossible: if my advice isn't applicable NOW, then it's just a suggestion for how you value new items to buy (or randomized loot you win). Or: "If you want fewer Move cards, then you should put fewer in your deck; either by swapping out items right now or making this your goal as you search for new items." Make sense?

7. DragonMind

DragonMind Mushroom Warrior

You can replay quests you have done with new characters(party) and gain xp and loot?
    ...didn't know that, thought it kinda was closed to go there, since locations get covered
    in ruins. Gonna try it out, might help me get more/better items to continue, atm at this
    Lvl10 quest (the first one with a skeleton) I am at the point where it's pretty much down
    to luck of the die and draw of cards, rather than tactics, due to the fact that I need some
    more items of what I have, or other ones I haven't had dropped on me yet.

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

That's what the "hourglass" symbol is: a brief timer preventing you from replaying the same map a million times. It's a system to encourage you to try variety. After a one-day cooldown, you may replay (and then get another one-day cooldown). Because I wanted to run 9 adventurers, I replayed adventure levels 1 through 3 a bunch of times (over days), getting a stockpile of items to help with later build changes.

There's also a loading tip that says this, but for many people the tips zoom by too quickly.

Sidenote: these dungeons are called "adventures" or "modules." I say that because a "quest" is a separate thing: a specific challenge to replay a map with limitations (e.g., using items that have at least one drawback card). Apparently you unlock those later.

9. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

You've got great and useful advice there, but you very nearly skipped over it talking about how to customize a deck. At least for people as dense as me, you really need to spell it out:

There's a wild difference between a first play-through where you pick up an axe and a sword and a bashing skill, and re-clearing those dungeons giving you 3 axes to go with a slicing talent, or letting you slot 8 sparks with a Spark Generator or two.

Also, I got lucky and found a Vampire's Blade, so my Priest + 2 Wizards party is ridiculously strong ;)

10. DragonMind

DragonMind Mushroom Warrior

Okay, nice to know what the terms are i this game for the different things.
    ...from now onwards I will call them modules(or maybe adventures) :)

Yeah the the tips should be displayed before clicking the last button
    to begin a map in a module ...I got like half a second to read them as is now,
    can't really blame me for not reading them, lol.