Beta 2.3 (3 May 2013)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, May 2, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

This is another fairly small build, mainly to fix the Treasure Hunts that were missing loot.

Check out the new multiplayer icons though, based on your rating!

There's also the start of a load-screen hint system, though this is still being worked on.

Hints
    • First pass hint system, still needs a bunch of work
    Adventures
    • Added missing epic equipment back into Treasure Hunts
    • Added Pools of slime module cover
    Battle
    • Animation speed setting affects actor movement.
    • "opponent is playing" message doesn't wait.
    • "opponent passed" message stays up a bit longer and is affected by animation speed.
    Audio
    • Added new loot drop audio
    Multiplayer
    • Show MP locations before party is ready but warn on trying to enter game.
    • Add MP rank icons.
    Story
    • Fixed GM dialogue bug where dialogue was accidentally centring
    • Edited Ruby Demon GM dialogue, Cockroaches, Goblins in the woods, Pools of slime,Black oak Heart, Yellow Dragon, Black Forest, Cliff Wyverns, card Stock
    • Added in-game GM prompts for Cockroaches, Pools of Slime, Black oak Heart
    • Switched GM dialogue for Black Oak Heart and yellow Dragon
    • Gated progress through Karen storyline. Player must now complete Goblins in the Woods and then Pools of Slime.
    • Fixed typos noted in forums.
    Tutorial
    • One more go at detecting completed adventure status in tutorial prompts (fixes missing loot prompt in tutorial).
    • Melvin's Club intro is worded better.
    Items
    • fixed shiny Bauble, changed to Gnomish Cologne

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Yes! Assuming it's implemented well. But if so, then yes!

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

It is so perfectly perfect i cant find a word that fits better than perfect!

4. Sir Knight

Except . . .

I hate to say this, but I have two complaints about things you just went to a lot of effort to improve.
    I can see why the "opponent passed" message is thematically different from other messages, and therefore could use emphasis, but I don't think making it stay up a bit longer is necessary. It feels like it's disproportionately long. Like I know how long a Move should take, and an Attack animation, and a trigger animation; but the delay for "opponent passed" feels like a stuttering halt in the natural flow of things.

And the new loot drop audio . . . I know what you're trying to do, and this does not do it. You wanted to create an ascending series of pitches to denote ascending rarity, right? And maybe you wanted to avoid "clink" sounds like coins have ('cause items aren't coins), right?

Well, it seems more like an old computer notification noise, with some weak little rumbles lingering at the end. The rumbles are pretty quiet at the not-annoying-the-neighbors volume on my speakers, and they sound like an error. The overall experience does not communicate "here's an item!"

A "clink" is instantly understandable and has some "substance" to it. If you really want a sound that indicates "an object has dropped on this table," then might I suggest a "click" or "thud"? Then you can get fancier from there. Sparkly sounds, the original trumpet sounds, even clinking. But the current sounds just don't make me feel like I'm "looting."

5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Not my personal opinion since i play without sound. But one of the new guys in beta told me how much he loved the item sound out of the blue. So i would take that as a strong in favor of it. Just figured i would let you guys know that.

6. Jon

Item sounds will get a make-over in the next build but will basically be the same theme.

7. Jon

The game used to put up the banner saying "Gary is playing" for one second and then the "Gary passed" message for one second - total of two seconds.

I changed this so that "Gary is playing" doesn't pause at all. "Gary passed" now displays for 1.5 seconds. The total duration is 0.5 seconds shorter.

I would prefer to have it a bit snappier, but I'm worried that new players will miss it entirely then.

8. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

Excellent, haven't had a chance to play/test it yet, but that'll help me when I'm in a hurry and choose to max out the animation speed. Thanks =D

9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I'd like to address the mp lobby player's order of appearance, in particular, the order and sorting of players as viewed.
    I'm in the lobby with Jon_admin, Lance and Stexe comes in. This is my PoV.

phaselock(1082)
    jon_admin(0)
    Lance(1273)
    Stexe(0)

This is Lance's PoV.

jon_admin(0)
    phaselock(1082)
    Stexe(0)
    Lance(1273)

What I was expecting:

jon_admin(0) --> this is because admins should always be visible and at the top, regardless of rating.
    Lance(1273) --> higher rank sorted top
    phaselock(1082)
    Stexe(0) --> lowest rank below

I've also tested and reproduced consistently.

Fresh login, click MP immediately....I see:
    phaselock(1082)
    Jon_admin(0)

Fresh login, click campaign then click MP....I see:
    Jon_admin(0)
    phaselock(1082)

Clearly there has not been any work on player sorting in the lobby. And there should be, otherwise, it'll look horrible with 50 players and ratings are everywhere. Hope it helps.

10. Sir Knight

Just a question: are you sure it was "I love the loot sound file" and not a variation on "I love the sound of me-getting-lots-and-lots-of-loot"? I'll go and listen to them some more, and I'll see if I get used to the things, but I certainly don't think they're "lovable sounds." I can't even recognize them beyond "that sounds like a computer notification beep with some file-compression static at the end."

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

He said the sound was cool or awesome or something so i would think he actually liked the sound but then again tastes vary and it could also be as you said him loving the sound of being rewarded i cant say.

12. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I actually like the new loot sounds :)

13. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Did you change hand of melvelous to be guaranteed at some point? If not it could be random chance or a bug because i got a legendary as a club reward from that map as well as the hand.

14. Sir Knight

. . . Pitch-shifted compression errors . . .

15. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Hand of Melvelous is a guaranteed drop for beating Melvelous the Magnificent. I've also noticed that the Club reward is always a legendary. I'll log it as a bug.

16. Sir Knight

Hey, sorry for griping, let me be more positive:

There are now separate volume sliders for general, music, and ambient! THANK YOU! Goodness, did this happen in a previous update and I just hadn't noticed?

17. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The latest major update

18. zologan

zologan Kobold

Hello, I'm New and from Spain, so my english is a little bad and i want to know what i have to do to start to play this game... im now living in ireland for end my studys and im really bored for the bad weather :p please HELP THIS DWARF hahaha

19. Peseto

Peseto Mushroom Warrior

Also on that note i wanted to add, since in White Star an epic treasure is guaranteed, the club reward is also at least epic.

20. SigioCroceus

SigioCroceus Kobold

Hey Zologan !

It's easy to play, go to http://www.cardhunter.com/ scroll down a bit and in the box that says "Apply for the Beta" you put your information in !

Then you wait !

And wait some more !

Then you get tired of waiting !

Wait some more !

Then you get to play, eventually...

No just kidding, you wait some more !

Wait.

Wait..

Wait...

You get the idea right ?

I think I'll be dead before this game actually launches.

But on the bright side they did say that EVERYONE that signs up for Beta will "eventually" get into the Beta.