Beta 2.16 (27 May 2013)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, May 27, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Whew! It's a big update. There are a bunch of new goodies and changes in this build. The biggest one is probably the new custom scenario creator, which lets you build custom battles to play against other players (or against the AI). Check it out under the "create casual game" button in the lobby (it's on a tab after ranked and non-ranked). You have to be a member of the club to create a custom battle, but anyone can play with you once you've created one. It's not particularly user friendly and relies on you finding your way around the board editor. Better documentation will be coming though!

Also in multiplayer, the ranked game matchmaker is now quite a bit pickier when it comes to player ratings. What that means is that you are less likely to get matched against a player with a much higher (or lower) rating than you. This may mean slightly longer queue waits or more games against the AI, but hopefully it's for the better.

Another big change is that we renamed what used to be called Talents to Power Tokens. Hopefully this better indicates their function. They got new art too! Chime in with your thoughts on this change!

There's a new payment provider (Google wallet) for buying pizza if you don't like Paypal. It hasn't been tested extensively yet, so please bear with us if you find any bugs with it (and let us know!).

There are now adventure specific hints if you lose in the first eight levels of the game. Hopefully they will be of help if you are stuck.

And, finally, the usual bug fixes and tweaks. Enjoy!

Multiplayer
    • Added custom scenario system. Go forth and make stuff!
    • Matchmaker is now much more restrictive in terms of ratings when matching players.
    • First MP game is always against Gary/AI.
    Talents/Power Tokens
    • Talents have been renamed to Power Tokens.
    • New art for talents/power tokens.
    Pizza
    • Added Google Wallet payment processing
    Adventures
    • Fixed VP's in Wizard's Workshop Apex
    Board Editor
    • Added a close button the board editor which returns to lobby.
    Cards
    • Fixed broken gender tag on Spiked Mail card
    • Whirlwind rules state that it "places" not "moves".
    • Immovable stops whirlwind placing actors in new location when enemy controlled.
    • Changed Slide and Push cards to not cause target to face attacker
    • Fixed rules text on Retreat.
    • Shift, Team! renamed to Shuffle, Team!
    • Fixed text on Perplexing Ray.
    Tutorial/Story
    • Created lose state GM tips for all adventures up to and including level 8;
    • Removed pizza references from early story to avoid impression of subliminally brainwashing people into spending money;
    • Beefed up the Major Power Token explanation prompt.
    • More MP tutorial prompts.
    • Rewrite GM dialogue for White Star and Frozen Earth to make it explicit that they're hard. Added Melvin.
    • Removed UFO skit from Attack of the War Monkeys and replaced it with Gary apologizing to Karen
    • Rewrote Attack of the War Monkeys to add romantic tension
    • Rewrote Black Forest to demonstrate that Gary has grown as a person
    • Made Garnet Demon dialogue less confrontational as a set up for Against the Cockroaches
    • Removed Fae skit from Ruby Demon Portal
    Deckbuilder
    • Replaced default item chits with transparent (dual sheet) ones
    • Moved all the default item images into static assets.
    • Fixed transparency glitch in chest background
    • darkened character sheet
    Items
    • Added missing item art for Asmod's chain
    Campaign Map
    • Moved adventure locations on the campaign map so they unlock in closer proximity order to their level.
    • updated mountains on world map to reflect new adventure placement
    Modules
    • fixed typo on Arena module cover
    • Replaced gladiatorial arena modules to fit fiction better
    • Tweaked the Cardstock preview module cover to fit fiction better
    • Fixed incorrect Victory Stars in rebalanced scenarios

2. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Hooray!

Kodi likes this.
  3. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, where is this rumored button ? Or does it only show for club members ?

4. Jon

Sorry, it's a tab on the Create Casual Game dialog.

5. Paleodiet

Paleodiet Kobold

How do I get the new version? When I go to the usual site I get the message "Incorrect Client version. Please Reload."

6. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

alt + f5 should do the trick, I guess.

7. Jon

Try clearing your cache and then reloading the client. Sometimes browsers don't seem to pull down the new build.

8. Jon

Or Ctrl-F5. Anything that forces a clean load of the client should work.

9. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Thats what I had in mind :>

10. Paleodiet

Paleodiet Kobold

Thanks, that did it.

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

There is a ghostly afterimage in the default item chits when you click on them. I don't know if its intended or an offset typo.

[​IMG]

These are my observations:
    a) Lord Batford's Manor, Gladiatorial Arena, Qualifiers, Compass of Xorr, Lord Stafford's Treasure are now in the forest
    b) High Mountain Pass is no longer in the mountains.

There are no right/wrongs, just stating my observations.

12. Bane

Bane Mushroom Warrior

Liking the new Power Tokens!

Hope there is something that explains how they upgrade (I'm beyond that prompt now I imagine)

Doc_Ryder likes this.
  13. Bane

Bane Mushroom Warrior

Re the scenario creator...

Will there be the ability to add character dialogue, etc? A full adventure perhaps?

14. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Not sure how I feel about the power tokens - it's not apparent in which "color" order it scales. What happens after blue and yellow for instance? Not in any way something that really bothers me, just feels a bit... unintuitive - and while you notice them more due to their colouring, they also look more the same due to their shape.

Zoorland likes this.
  15. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Do you have to be a new player (i.e., you've never beaten the adventure before) in order to see the text? I can't seem to get it to trigger.

16. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Goblin Champion

I'm not a fan of the talent-to-power token change.

The new symbols are (imo) really ugly, and clash with CH's visual style. Also, the different shapes for the different levels of talents made it easier to tell them apart.

I don't really get how this is supposed to make it easier to understand their function, either. I mean, people who've played any sort of RPG before have a general idea of what the term "talent" means. They know that it's something that characters earn and can be used to improve their abilites. "Power Token", however, sounds like some sort of currency.

I...really hope this gets changed back, or at the very least that the graphics for the power tokens are revised.

Zoorland likes this.
  17. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

I think Power Token is a little bit better of a name than Talent, but not by much. Talent implies something that you can actively do. Power Token implies that slightly less, but I still don't feel like it's totally there. Possibly Item Token or Equipment Token? However, I do like that hovering over the icon brings up the name of what it is. I don't know if it always did that, but I just noticed it.

The icons themselves I'm very much not a fan of. I preferred the old shapes, and I thought that the progression made sense (although I'd consider triangles versus circles to make the progression by sides). The old colors did blend in too much; they definitely needed changing. However, right now the colors are much too saturated and clearly don't fit in. The lack of borders like the old icons had doesn't help. Regarding the specific colors, I can't open the game right now, but I'm pretty sure the choice of orange and blue is related to the progression of card strength: Orange/Blue/Yellow/Green/Violet <-> Bronze/Silver/Gold/Emerald/Violet. So as far as the general hues go, I say keep orange and blue, just toned down somewhat.

18. SigioCroceus

SigioCroceus Kobold

Is there any way to reset your account for testing purposes during the Beta?

19. Jon

Have you bought pizza? It gets a bit more complex if you have as we have to re-credit that to your account.

20. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

yay! die pay pal! Good Job I hope co-op is close now :D