Batford's Nightmare

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Kalin, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I tried to pick enemies Batford would least like to find in his bedroom, and the results are at least fairly consistent.

You open your eyes and look around your bedroom. Everything seems to be in place, but you feel something is off, something is not quite right... and what is that smell?

You call out to your faithful companion: "Blackfang! Here boy!" but there's no response. Instead you hear... purring?

bedroom.jpg

And then you wake up and find that the Nightmare Fairy left some cheap trinkets under your pillow.

You make a note to avoid banana-n-bacon pudding before bedtime.

EDIT: Version 4.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    PULSEFIRE and Maniafig like this.
  2. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I gave the map 5 tries and won 3 times, so it's fairly beatable and consistent for having only one character to control. The main points of RNG are ill-timed Ouch!es, which monster first get to the door, how long the door holds out and whether you can Scamper out of the room when the door breaks.

The Psi Cat is definitely the biggest threat of the bunch and should be taken out ASAP, Psychic Barrage and Infected Bite are hard hitters and it has no armor and less HP than the slime.

Once the Psi Cat is taken care of Batford generally draws enough movement to juke the remaining enemies, especially when he leaves the bedroom. My two failed runs failed because I couldn't get out of the bedroom before getting swarmed.

I did notice a bug with the AI on my first try, the enemies stood in this configuration in front of the door and the Slime never attacked the door so I could easily pick it and the Pig off.

[​IMG]

I look forward to seeing how you decorate the nightmare. It's a nice touch than Batford can try to raise the alarm but there's nobody there to help, it's a thematic way of giving the player a dead card.

PULSEFIRE and Flaxative like this.
  3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Updated first post with version 2. This has the bedroom finished, though I'm worried it may be too cluttered and confusing. I also changed around the sitting room to be more consistent with the ranked sanctuary map and give me some head room.

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

And the third version is now available. I think I'm done with the board, and now just need to improve the story.

EDIT: Oops, forgot the lower doodads. And I might try to squeeze in all the displaced tiles too. Tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Okay, I think this the final version. During a playtest I also ran across that weird AI behavior where the pudding refuses to attack the door. Could it be one of those situations where certain attacks are only used if the target has revealed cards in hand?