Barbed Platemail + Ouch! interaction

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Bandreus, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

I haven't tested it myself, but I've been told that Barbed Platemail doesn't return damage against Ready To Strike. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it's definitely inconsistent with the way it works with Ouch!, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

ParodyKnaveBob and Inkfingers like this.
  2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Sounds like Ready to Strike doesn't have an attack type.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

I guess that makes sense. On the other hand, the description clearly states that it should be Melee Slashing, so it could be an oversight.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It does have an attack type. Does anyone have logs/screenshots of Barbed Platemail not returning damage against Ready to Strike?

5. Fanturluche

Fanturluche Thaumaturge

It seems Blade Bouquet does melee damage since Polearm Slash can reduce the damage, but Spiked Mail (and Barbed Platemail too probably) do not damage the attacker. Ready To Strike must have the same behaviour.
    20161205212432_1.jpg
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Msg=The active player is now Fanturluche
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Fanturluche,Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Event=PlayAction,Action=Run,Instigator=Kallor,Targets=
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Player=Fanturluche,Participant=Fanturluche,Actor=Kallor,Event=Move,Origin=(1, 3),StartFacing=(1, 0),Destination=(1, 3),EndFacing=(0, 1)
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Fanturluche,Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Blade Bouquet,TriggeringActor=The Maw,AffectedActors=Kallor,TriggerType=Move,TriggerLocation=Hand
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Fanturluche,Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Spiked Mail,TriggeringActor=Kallor,AffectedActors=,TriggerType=PreDamage,TriggerLocation=Hand
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Fanturluche,Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Event=TriggerFail,Trigger=Spiked Mail,TriggeringActor=Kallor,AffectedActors=,TriggerType=PreDamage,TriggerLocation=Hand
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Fanturluche,Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Event=TriggerFail,Trigger=Polearm Slash,TriggeringActor=Kallor,AffectedActors=,TriggerType=PreDamage,TriggerLocation=Hand
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Msg=Kallor took 5 damage
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Msg=The active player is now Gary
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Msg=Gary passed.
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=door test room,Room=Fanturluche's battle (custom),RoomID=138191,Msg=The active player is now Fanturluche

Oh, and Mimetic Armor does create a Bludgeon card when reducing damage from Blade Bouquet

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Yep the cards.csv indeed says so.
    Component 1 & params 1: TrapDamageComponent,enemiesOnly;attackType=Melee;damageType=Slashing;damage=6

7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Hmm, don't know what the difference is.

Since Barbed Platemail says "Melee Attack," I have no problem with it not triggering on Ready To Strike, but then obviously it shouldn't trigger on Ouch! either. One way or another, some type of consistency would be nice.

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  8. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Conversely, if it applied to RtS but not to Ouch!, then that'd make a lot more intuitive sense [since technically a fumble is not an attack, but a prepared strike certainly ought be].

Honestly, I never minded the self-harm mechanic, I thought it an amusing interaction, but spiked armors don't really need any handicaps, so I can appreciate the change.
    RtS definitely feels like it ought be covered though, especially in terms of meta- having spiked armors work on RtS really helps encourage their slotting while also offering a bit more risk to running RtS.
    In the end, it really feels like it'd only be a positive element to have the armors proc on RtS.

9. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Fire Demon

This happened spontaneously in a match today—or rather, for the sake of secret testing, I ran up to the Ready to Strike warrior a bit more than I would've otherwise. I confirm Barbed doesn't return damage.

Tseahorse moved.
    Ready to Strike damaged Tseahorse.
    Reliable Mail reduced damage to Tseahorse by 2.
    Tseahorse spikes her attacker.
    Tseahorse took 0 Slashing damage.
    [Enemy character] runs
    [Enemy character] moved.

10. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

What exactly happened there? 'cause if no damage was dealt, then the defensive-damage shouldn't have procced. But the phrasing is a bit.. confusing without context. :confused:

11. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Fire Demon

Sorry I was vague. I meant that Reliable Mail and Barbed both triggered, reducing the damage received from Ready to Strike to 0, but the Barbed didn't give the ready striker the spikes. If it did, there should be a line in there saying so, I think.

Anyway, point is I saw Barbed activate against a Ready to Strike and not return damage.