Barbed Platemail + Ouch! interaction

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Bandreus, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

If this is left alone, the card text should definitely be changed. Perhaps something along the lines of:

timeracers and Flaxative like this.
  2. No that good, it deals dmg and almost reveals your hand: atacks card and non-atacks, showing enemies blocks, armor or move this way

3. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

The problem isn't really with Ouch! as much as it is with Barbed Platemail itself.

I don't have nearly enough time to test this thoroughly, but these are some other cards (those I can think off my head, at least) which might potentially result in a similar interaction with Barbed: Backbiting Strike, Predictable Stab, Berserk Spin, Spiked Mail, Reflecting Block, Jarring Block.

All very speculative ofc (as I said, I have very little time to test stuff atm, so take this with a pinch of salt), but looks to me like the Spiked Mail + Barbed Platemail interaction might be the most hilarious of them all:
    • Spiked Mail's effect gets activated by one of the above mentioned cards
    • You receive 2 piercing damage
    • Barbed Platemail kicks in, preventing the damage from Spiked
    • You receive 4 piercing/penetrating damage instead!

4. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

This is a very annoying interacting at least. We are still waiting for a confirmation whether it is intended or not.

5. ClanCrusher

ClanCrusher Hydra

Okay, it's been a month and a half now, why are we still waiting on confirmation on whether or not this is a bug or intentional? Either way, I'd like some sort of ruling on the issue, especially since you put Ouch together with Spiked Mail and Barbed Platemail on quite a few items.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Hmm. That really makes it sound intentional.

7. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

It has been on that items before the damage type of Ouch has been changed.

Bandreus and timeracers like this.
  8. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I was playing co-op with @Ed2088 the other day, and his elf warrior drew both Ouch! and Raging Strike. He had Barbed Platemail in his hand and was also under the effects of Unholy Curse.

He probably took something like a total of 15-20 damage in a single go (damage from Ouch! + damage from Barbed). He didn't straight-out die, but came very close to it.

Guess this doesn't really add much to the topic, but I LOL'd hard when that happened. Just something amusing I thought I would share :p

9. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I think the bug here at the moment is that Barbed Platemail specifies preventing damage from a Melee Attack instead of stating that it just prevents Melee damage. I think we should change the wording on that card but I don't see a great reason for any other changes at this stage.

10. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

So I guess that officially makes the interaction into intended behavior after all

11. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

"Intended" in the sense of "working as intended" although not something specifically predicted.

12. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I thought Barbed would be expected to only deal damage if the blocked damage was coming from a Melee Attack specifically, rather than any card dealing melee damage.

Does that mean Barbed Platemail could potentially make you take additional, penetrating damage if it gets procc-ed by, say, Path Of Knives?

13. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Path Of Knives only states that it does Slashing damage, so I wouldn't expect it to. If it does, then wouldn't Path of Knives also need to be reworded to specify that it does Melee Slashing damage?

14. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I just tested this, after casting PoK on one of my own guys and this is the result: when Barbed was proc-ed by the damage coming from PoK, my warrior did not take the penetrating damage, but the armor's effect still got triggered which is clearly shown in the log

So it looks like PoK actually triggers Barbed's effect, but somehow the damage couldn't be delivered to the caster? I guess this was expected, as the damage was coming from an attachment, but still looks more like a quirk than intended behavior

15. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I think it must be magic damage(considering it came from a magic card).

16. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

If it is considered magic damage, why did Barbed's effect proc on it then?

The fact nobody got damaged by Barbed's effect is secondary, in a way.

17. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Because the effect is Armor 4 if this armor prevent melee damage, ...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  18. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Oh wait, that was confusing.

Normaly, when an armor rolls preventing damage, you would see something like:
    Barbed Platemail never actually lists the amount of prevented damage in the log, but you always see the line:
    And that's regardless the fact that Barbed actually dealt its penetrating damage to the attacker or not. Like in the following
    I was led into believing that the "Halerdae spikes his attacker." message in the log would only be printed if the damage type of the attack qualified for Barbed to deal its penetrating damage.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  19. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Backbiting Strike's backlash damage is not typed as melee, and does not trigger Barbed Plate. Spiked Mail vs Barbed Plate is the same way - The damage is not typed as melee damage. That said, if they were melee damage, that would lead to some very interesting situations where it could be buffed by frenzy and other similar effects. Maybe Spiked Mail would actually see some play then?

20. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Time for some grave digging. Someone was asking about Barbed Platemail & Ouch! interaction on the world chat. Directed them here and noticed that the wording hadn't been changed / clarified back then.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.