Barbed Platemail + Ouch! interaction

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Bandreus, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Ouch! triggering Barbed Platemail resulted in my dwarf warrior (The Beast) taking piercing damage from the armor's proc-ed effect.

Not sure if that's the intended behavior?

Can't confirm the same behavior would apply to Spiked Mail as well as I haven't tested it.

I've highlighted the relevant part of the battle report

FDrybob likes this.
  2. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I've assumed this was WAI, since that makes sense thematically.

It's been a long enough time that I don't remember what I triggered it on, but I think it was Spiked Mail [especially since I slot it a lot more often than Barbed].

I found it pretty amusing at the time :p

3. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I mean, I do know for instance you can trigger the proc-effect of Holy Armor via your own attack cards, but at the same time you can't abuse the same behavior with Inspiring Armor. So clearly this is a bit all over the place.

4. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

Sounds like a bug, the card says it must prevent damage from a melee attack.

5. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I didn't even think about that tbh

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Ahhh, that's why actually! All cards got attack types with the expansion so now Ouch! has a melee attack type. And since The Beast was the owner of Ouch! he got hit by the barbed platemail when the platemail had a successful roll against Ouch! So technically the interaction is correct, but not really working as intended. @Jon?

ParodyKnaveBob and Bandreus like this.
  7. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

...I think it's lovely :'(

Once I figure out how to get it to work with a self-cast misguided heal, I'll have an ultimate hilarity combo :X
    "Let me just heal mys... OUCH, ******!"
    Rolls a natural 1..

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Barbed Platemail isn't shown as a hybrid Armor/Attack, and can't be used as an attack by the player.
    On the other hand, the attack effect is played by the computer, so it does have one.
    Ouch! specifies "all Attack cards", and I wouldn't count it as one, but I can see how someone might.

9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Emergent complexity is a lovely thing, but sometimes does bite you in the back

10. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Oh, no, if Ouch is revealing Barbed Platemail, I haven't seen anything like that.

The only interaction I've seen is spiked armors hitting their owner on certain self-targeted melee effects.

Not that I've ever vampired myself for laughs or anything, haha. >.>
    (or as an attempt to abuse +heal traits to get free healing ;P)

[Don't actually remember how that test turned out, though :p]

11. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I think you're missing the interaction. Barbed Platemail deals damage 4 damage to the attacker when it prevents damage from a melee attack, Ouch! now has a melee attack type and so when it's damage is prevented by BP, BP is dealing 4 damage to the "attacker" which happens to be the same character who has BP.

The simple solution would probably be just to not have Barbed Platemail and Spikemail deal damage except when preventing it from an enemy controlled card.

ParodyKnaveBob, timeracers and Merdis like this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think I was missing the interaction.

13. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I would argue this is a bug as we have this text:
    Armor 4. If this Armor prevents damage from a Melee Attack, the attacker takes 4 Piercing damage. This damage is Penetrating.

So the question becomes is OUCH! a melee attack?

Ouch!: Trait. Reveal all Attack cards in your hand. Take 2 Piercing Melee damage for each card revealed this way.

I believe the correct interpretation is that the effect on Barbed should not trigger since it is melee damage but not a melee attack (not an attack card) an effect from a handicap.

Years of arguing MtG resolutions all came flooding back (especially since when I started playing, 1995 no websites to reference). Reminds me of my dad telling me "you should have been a lawyer", although my friend who now is a lawyer still had difficulty resolving effects.

14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Except for the problem that it's a phrasing issue, not an intentional mechanic.
    It's intended as 'melee source', not 'melee attack card'.

You can tell, because 'card' isn't added, and always is when referring to a specific card type.
    Similarly, I'm reasonably sure other similar cards use the phrasing 'melee attack' in the same manner.

Again, I like this interaction- just like you can have synergistic effects with cards, there should be similarly negative counter-synergies to make deck building more interesting.
    Nevermind it makes thematic sense, if you fumble your weapons on your spiked armor, one assumes you'd get spiked.

Still, good thematics and entertaining interactions don't necessarily make for ideal building considerations, so I'd yield the point readily enough;

But it's not a point we can make based off of card phrasing :p

15. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

Question: You are fighting the Alabaster lizard and you spear of darkness him. If he deflects with his reflecting block right back at you, and you trigger your own barbed platemail, do you take the 4 penetrating damage?

16. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Assuming a melee attack being reflected by Reflecting Block doesn't change owner (and it shouldn't), yes, you should take 4 penetrating damage.

That'd be something worth testing.

Also @DunDunDun: this thread isn't really about the wording on the card. This is all really about whether or not the current implementation and emerging behavior of Barbed Platemail is working as intended by the devs.

I do appreciate people offering their own perspective on things and opinions. But, since the interaction is absolutely non-trivial, I'd still like an official word from @Jon / @Farbs / @Flaxative. While I don't clearly recall witnessing the same interaction before EttSC, it might as well be the case this is caused by some of the not-so-minor changes the expansion brought to the engine.

We might be in front of a totally unintended consequence of the latest system-wide changes, which is why I filed a bug report rather than a card-text-error report.

17. This is so bad

18. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I disagree. The damage would be the effect of the Reflecting Block not the initial attack and should go to the holder of the block; I never came across this and I imagine it is extremely rare.

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I think we are, but @Jon should confirm. I'm personally inclined to leave this alone because ouch! is so freaking good... ;)

20. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Think you kinda missed my perspective entirely :p
    I flat out noted I wasn't arguing any changes to how it works [to fix a perceived bug or interaction issue] but that I liked how it currently implemented.
    The rest was all just a direct response to the directly previous poster.