Are there any cards that predominately show up in card suites with drawbacks?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Knight, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'm having fun (yes, fun) doing drawback challenges. I've gotten to play with cards I rarely use; and I'm not just talking about the drawbacks, but the interesting ordinary cards locked into card suites which I couldn't justify using before.

Like Parrying Strike, which is really great, but that I first saw saddled with Ouch! on the Defender's Dagger. I've since found it without drawbacks on Simple Short Sword, but it got me thinking:

Are there cards that predominately show up in "drawback card suites"? That is, really tasty stuff that keeps being tossed in with things like Ouch! so that players are obliged to use drawbacks to get them?

I know you get super stuff mixed with drawbacks at lower levels to balance out, and then you get it without drawbacks at higher levels, but I wonder if there are "always-painful" exceptions. If not, does Blue Manchu plan to include such?

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I feel like those cards would have balance issues but that is just my first thought and i might be wrong.

edit1
    Really wish you could sort by drawback for the sake of this and the challenges or use it as a keyword so you could search on it at least

edit 2
    Closest i come is staggering blow which i have 1 item with 3x drawback 3x staggering blow 5 items with 2x drawback that have one ore more copys of it and a single item that has a single copy of staggering but no drawback so i guess you can say it generally comes with drawbacks.

3. Sir Knight

Lemme guess: there's an inverse relationship between "level of item" and "number of drawbacks," right? They're probably just going to use drawbacks as "counterweights," and not really link cards like I was wondering.

4. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Ill go make sure if they are level based but i don't think that is completely true. Yes and no the level 18 item still has 2 drawbacks but it gets 3 staggering blow the level 15 item has 3 drawbacks and 3 staggering blow. So there is a pattern of sorts but its not full on if the item is higher level you don't have to take drawbacks.

5. Sir Knight

I feel silly for posting again when I just forgot to ask before: item rarity? It is a two-dimensional item system, after all (level and rarity).

And then there's the rest of the card suite. You know what? Would you mind just posting the whole deal?

6. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Do you want me to get screenshots of all the items and upload them?

also didn't you get hydra at 1000 posts?

7. Sir Knight

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

9. Sir Knight

Okay, I've sorted those on my screen by level and rarity. I think they make sense. Staggering Blow is massively valued in the system, so a single one of them sticks you with two drawbacks (including Arcane Feedback on a Warrior item?) at level 9; then when you simultaneously increase the level and the number of Staggering Blows, you still have multiple drawbacks later on. It takes a whopping level 18 item, saddled with lower-power things like Heal, before you finally get one Staggering Blow with no drawbacks. Looks like Blue Manchu is good on the balance yet again.

Still, I have the same answer to my question: Blue Manchu treats drawbacks as "counterweights" to good cards, which become less necessary as level and rarity increase. They aren't currently "linking" specific cards together consistently.

Also, yeah, forum titles are based on those "trophy point" things. Currently I have the most trophy points on the forum. I hope I can trade them in for upgrades and special abilities when I unlock the "forumite" class in-game. (That's a joke.)

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Right i missed that since they added more after i checked it last time. Seams people like what you write more then what i do got to work on that!

11. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Interesting fact! I find this mysterious conversations to be so intruging that even that my PC is not working properly I still have to check forums all day. Thank you for this! On a topic: this is rather interesting - some cards, I feel, come with drawbacks or with much worse cards - think of it like this: would you rather have a drawback card which might cause you 2 dmg or which you rather have a card which does 2 dmg? Answer may wary from player to player but as 'overthinker' I would take drawback card without a real penalty at all times - not only it effectively reduces my deck size by 1 but also my chance to draw better cards increases. I would say that my current opinion on balance of items and itemization is too good - I'm simply too surprised how well everything seems to be working out for Blue Manchu ;) and I always thought that I only see bad sides of all games - I was wrong!

12. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier