[AotA maps] burst wizard

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by neoncat, Dec 2, 2014.

1. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I lost about 200 rating to burst wizards right after the map rotation, so I joined 'em (and lost another 100 rating while tweaking).

Using a single burst wizard allows me to focus all the buffs in one place. The secondary drawspam priest transfers at least one character's worth of draws onto the buffed wizard, so damage output is at least as good as with two burst wizards.

A note about Officer's Harness - it works quite well as fodder for both Savage Curse and for Leadership, hence the use of Corian's Boots on the wizard in addition to Hylithia's Robes.

Unfortunately, the burst wizard itself needs specific legendary equipment, so this is probably well out of reach for most players.

2. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Accessable gear or not, burst boost is a fun-absorbing disease and a mockery of the game en par with ancient firestorm shenanigans.

3. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Totally! But it wins games fast (except on Lost City). I'm a sellout who needs my daily hit of epic chests.

4. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Firestorm was nothing compared to when all the ember bursts in the game were fireballs... beta was fun :p

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  5. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

This build looks kind of familiar to me for some reason...
    Oh yea, I made a similar build for the deckbuilding contest! I guess everyone has an stylish deck now, haha.

Jokes aside, if anyone wants to run a slightly lower powered version of this deck (but only slightly: Searing Pain and some other kind of staff with loads of bursts are still musts), you can change out the robe to a regular Cotton Wizard's Robes. The Arcane Aura can be removed by getting hit, but it does an extra point of damage compared to Arcane Shell, and if you already have a bunch of Bad Luck sitting around, you may as well use it on the wizard and decrease the aura removal chance to 33%. If you don't have a Darkblood Glaive either, an alternative choice I found useful, if rather unconventional, is St. Forgue's Sword as it has both an extra Demonic Power and extra attacks so that in case your wizard dies with your opponent on the ropes you still have a chance of victory.

6. Jarrovian

Jarrovian Kobold

Only been playing for a few weeks and love these builds by Neoncat which helps me understand more of the complex way in which cards can work.
    I have built this example deck as best I can even though I am missing 2 items from it I think I have compensated reasonably well with the cards I have.
    I don't have Darkblood Glaive so I have used Shadowleaf_Maquah in it's place rather than St. Forgue's Sword
    The Controlled_Overswing gets rid of unwanted cards and does reasonable damage and the weapon helps with the 2 square distance.

I also dont have Staff Of A Million Embers but I do have Blue Destruction and Staff_of_Embers which is nearly as good. Idecided on Blue_Destruction because of the extra damge and it negates resistant armours which this deck has trouble getting around.

The only other item missing in my version is Ritual Straps which I can't find so I'm using Bendolth's_Pauldrons instead.

I have had success with this deck soo far and am hoping it will take me from 1200 to a steady 1300 until I grab more cards.

Thanks Neoncat for the build idea.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  7. Jarrovian

Jarrovian Kobold

Sorry I don't know how to make the item name appear rather than the link.

8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Blue Destruction is a great option. As far as making the items work, type the name (spelled correctly), select it (i.e. highlight it) and click the green orb in the formatting bar. If you're talking about a card instead of an item, click the stack of cards next to it instead.

9. Jarrovian

Jarrovian Kobold

Thanks Scarponi

10. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

11. Jarrovian

Jarrovian Kobold

I wondered about that too then realized this build is all about getting the right cards to the wizard since it is the Prime attacker with minimal attacking support. The Cold Shield is a clever choice because you either have a couple of decent blocks or a card to wipe out the blocks and replace it with something that helps the wizard. Since the Shield slot is there whether you place a shield on it or not you have 3 cards taking up space that aren't central to the role of this build. With this shield you have 2 blocks or 1 other more useful card depending on your draw. It essentially limits the draw making it more focused.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Fifjunior7 likes this.
  12. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I just hit 1800 with a 2 dwarf wizard/1 dwarf cleric burst deck. It's powerful stuff! It's going to be the deck to beat now that team run is getting nerfed...

13. Jarrovian

Jarrovian Kobold

I'm curious Vakaz what buffs you use on your cleric or do you use him to protect with heal,nimbus etc?

14. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

Hmmmm @neoncat I tried out your build...

So here's what I think:

First of all, nice job, it's always great to see someone sharing ideas and such! Here, you get a power token! (minortoken)

It def seems better on some maps then others, overall, it fairs quite well. Fast warriors can quickly destroy this build if they manage to kill the wizard.

The amount of damage this thing does is absurd! I felt through my screen the rage that was emanating from my opponents as I arcane burst/ember bursted their grouped together characters.

The one big thing I found that was it's real weakness was inability to remove armor effectively. There is no way of getting rid of armor, so once you encounter a team of wizards with resistant hide, that's half of your bursts doing NOTHING.

I switched around some stuffë, replaced the Sensate's Ring with Armorbane Pendant. The results are inconclusive: armor removal plus a nifty memory loss vs control?

Anyways, nicely done on this build~

15. Jarrovian

Jarrovian Kobold

Hmm the ARMORBANE PENDANT is combustible which I always try to avoid given how many fire mages there are out there.

I'm still having overall success with the build, but have made another tweak since I have encountered major problems up against smoke and illusion barriers so I changed the armour on priest carrying the Unholy Well to Cleansing_Hide

This gives me 2 chances to clear terrain albeit small amounts and offers minor heal in the process as well an armour that can help me move in a jam.

16. doog37

doog37 Hydra

You are a lucky player... 2 burst staffs in a few weeks is very fortunate. Like people who had 2 Vibrant pains in the first 6 months of CH.

17. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Did I already say that I think burst attacks (excluding Fireball) should do less damage in the burst area than the target square. It makes logical sense (not that logic is relevant), and gives the frenzied warrior hiding behind cover a better chance to live.
    Of course since I've all but written off the current map rotation I went to a fun if marginal build of Pulverising Thundercats, which incidentally is A LOT of fun versus Cardotron.