[AotA] Black Plume Mountain dragon

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by neoncat, Apr 26, 2014.

1. UiA

UiA Ogre

1st attempt was using my regular adventurer farmers 2wiz/1 cleric and after about 12 attempts on the dragon I still found no success.
    So I went back and made a frenzy/all out attack party of 2 d.wars and 1 h.cleric and that did the trick after only a couple tries.
    Riptide was actually a decent card here as it brings some armor removal/block removal capabilites, and bring some war cry for the dragons multiple blocks.

2. Ector

Ector Hydra

I've defeated the dragon without a single Nimbus :) Good old card advantage makes wonders: tons of SPR, Bless, and so on. Path Of Knives was very effective in my build, as the beast flies madly and damages itself a lot.

3. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Well, I first thought my 1+1+1 build was the bee's knees. Then I tried the battle again. Have you tried to defeat the dragon again with that build? Maybe you just got lucky the first time, like what happened to me. On the other hand, your build seems to have many elements people have listed as being good for the mission, so no doubt it is more effective than many.

4. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

my party

first 2 maps:
    Telginn
    Level 20 Human Warrior

Drekgrund
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

Helven
    Level 20 Human Priest
    ---
    the dragon:

Telginn
    Level 20 Human Warrior
    Infused Greatclub
    The Bludgeonator
    The Hackmaster
    Sturdy Mail
    Eeygonnic's Shield
    Tough Leather Cap
    Boots Of The Foolish
    Superb Command
    Superb Bruising
    1 x Trained Bludgeon
    1 x Wild Run
    4 x Obliterating Bludgeon
    1 x Weakened Armor
    3 x Bludgeon
    1 x Dash, Team!
    2 x Bruiser
    1 x Quick Step
    3 x All Out Attack
    1 x Dangerous Maneuver
    1 x Shuffle, Team!
    2 x Reliable Mail
    1 x Toughened Hide Strips
    1 x Parry
    2 x Wounded Block
    5 x Strong Hack
    1 x Almighty Hack
    1 x Strong Bludgeon
    3 x Able Bludgeon
    1 x Surging Shield Block

Drekgrund
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard
    Sub-zero Staff
    Staff Of Winter
    Mirror Of Melting
    Mirror Of Melting
    Mirror Of Melting
    Mirror Of Melting
    Rockshard Robes
    Kerrick's Steel Boots
    Perfect Toughness
    Electroporter Novice
    8 x Boiling Armor
    2 x Cold Snap
    1 x Spark Inductor
    1 x Force Bolt
    4 x Frost Jolt
    1 x Dimensional Traveller
    1 x Maze
    2 x Toughness
    1 x Shuffle
    2 x Reliable Mail
    2 x Freeze
    6 x Stone Spikes
    2 x Chilling Rime
    1 x Spark Generator
    1 x Rusty Armor
    1 x Resistant Hide

Helven
    Level 20 Human Priest
    Duality Mace
    Duality Mace
    Savage Plates
    Snitrick's Shield
    Kerrick's Steel Boots
    Shielding Token
    Medallion Of St. Vigus
    Medallion Of St. Vigus
    Advanced Flexibility
    Trained Cleansing
    1 x Purge
    1 x Icy Block
    2 x Chop
    1 x Shuffle
    2 x Lifesaving Block
    1 x Consuming Touch
    4 x Touch Of Death
    1 x Slowed
    2 x Reliable Mail
    2 x Leadership
    1 x Holy Presence
    10 x Impenetrable Nimbus
    2 x Healing Blessing
    2 x Wounded Block
    1 x Savage Curse
    1 x Thickened Mail
    1 x Invigorating Touch
    1 x Mass Frenzy

just finish doing the no death challenge with it and got a legendary treasure

5. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

:confused: *whimper* I... I can't... *shudder* I WON'T THINK ABOUT THE QUESTS *sniffle*

Jim likes this.
  6. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

First two maps, no biggie, on try like #10 with my 1-1-1 campaign party. Sigh.

7. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

I typically do BMP with double jeweled warrior + Lava wizard build. For the dragon I switch to arrogant armor on warriors, lots of war crys and parries. Wizard switches to armor removal and short perplexing ray and some telekinisis. Piece of cake assuming you can quickly take out the the artifact before the dragon closes. Laying down some strategic blocking lava terrain helps(Dragon will not land on this).

If you wanted to do BMP with 3 wizards, first two missions would be relatively easy, dragon would be doable but annoying. One tip to try if you're having trouble is to pack war cry on them. Nothing better for stripping those incredibly annoying blocks off of the dragon. Again lava terrain to keep the dragon from closing into melee range is key. Main issue that makes it annoying is your lack of significant damage output. I use double warrior as I can usually unload 30-40 damage in a round on the dragon when I get the war cry and follow it up with a boiling armor. Wizards have to spark and ping and burn away at that huge HP and it takes a while. Every round increases the chance that you'll get a bad draw and the dragon munches one of your wizards.

8. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Last time I beat it was fairly recently, with my 1-1-1 party. Warrior has sunders and all out attack along with parries, Priest is mostly card draw and buff, and wizard's job is to shoot Blackhammer as fast as possible, strip Blizzy of blocks, and then get mauled to protect the other two. A dwarf wizard's life is a hard one...

9. X_Sauron_X

X_Sauron_X Mushroom Warrior

As long as you are paying the Wizard appropriately that's ok. Do you provide him with dental and medical Plans as well?

Sir Veza and Accent like this.
  10. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I hope so. Usually, dental records are the only way to identify the wizard after Blitzy's had his way with him.

11. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

For maximum satisfaction, stack 3 All Out Attacks on a warrior and apply a high-damage strike to the rear.

12. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

I've just did easy No Party Death on Black Plume (looking for Loot Fairy). The trick for 3rd map was Cushioning Armor (i used The Softener)
    That's an uber tank ..

I've done it with 1-1-1 party.

1st map. Wizard is dual Heartripper, priest is whatever, warrior is whatever (i used 3x Double-edged Shortsword).
    2nd map. Wizard is dual Mordecai .. other guys are irrelevant
    3rd map. Actually the only important thing here is that you draw Cushioning Armor on your Warrior. I used dual Heartripper on wiz + 3x akon's amulet, and some healing priest.. and its like kittens are attacking you not dragon (The Almighty Hack for 5dmg .. precious .. ) ;)

(I used priest with 5 greater heals + 2 nimbuses for all 3 maps + 1 bless (on that new armor))

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Sir Veza, Pawndawan and Jarmo like this.
  13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Congrats! But fyi, the LF only shows up for regular adventure runs, not quests.

14. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Yes I know, I did regular quest for today's Loot Fairy and goot LF chest. I just wanted to emphasise that 3rd map was quite easy / fast with this setup and that no character died in any of 3 maps ..

We did COOP Loot Fairy yesterday with 2wiz + priest (great experience btw) and it was also no party death, but it was much much slower..

Anyway, cushining armor looks like great addition for any high level SP map (Troll Tyrant tanking with ease?)

Scarponi likes this.
  15. doog37

doog37 Hydra

It has been a while for me but I found a 1-1-1 to be the easiest for me (oh wait that's right I have only used 1 party of all of the campaign).
    But without too much ado a AoA human warrior for quick damage
    A wizard with lots of armor removal and a Heartripper
    A priest with nimbus and even more damage

I had used arrogant armors but found a nimbus spam works better using my warrior to shield off the wiz and making sure to fire off Punishing for max damage especially on Blackhammer who I try to kill straight away. But I try to use a hold my ground strat so I can manage spacing to keep the dragon off of my wiz.