Announcing In-game Moderators

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

I am not quite sure if I should congratulate those Mods or pity them because in my experience community management and/or chat moderation (not the same, i know) can be really hard work (if you wanna do it seriously). But I am quite sure that the chat is in good hands with those guys/gals (at least those I know from some years ago ^^).

This is to say I am quite happy with the decision to have a chat moderation. Even if there is not so much to do, there is always some day when you've got someone misbehaving. And when this day comes it is good to know, that there is someone capable of making the right decisions.

I feel always ... more comfortable (?) ... in a moderated chat. Especially remembering my first day in world chat (after being away for two years) when the first message after me saying "hello player xy, nice to see someone from the old days" was "OMG report Sisquinanamook!!11". I could have really needed a mod back then to ask if I did something wrong, 'cause after that line I was a bit insecure if I should write in the chat at all ^^

So this little event in mind, I've got one question:

How do you handle Questions from "normal" players?

I know you are "normal" players too and so you want to play the game as well. But (in my experience) being a moderator, and especially a visibly seen moderator I believe you will get a lot of Questions about the game, or the chat, or whatever new (and old) players think to be important to ask.
    Should we ask you stuff at all and if so: which are appropriate?

So far: good luck and may the community fairy send you only nice and friendly and peaceful chat-participants.
    Yours,
    Sis :p

Maniafig and gulo gulo like this.
  2. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I am happy to receive any question you may want to ask. I may not know the answer, but I will try to help you out, regardless. Especially if the question is, 'who wants to 3 v 3 me?' (© lenbear, 2015)

No question is a bad question.

3. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

My unofficial job has always been answering questions in World, and now it's my official job. Nothing's changed!

4. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

I, for one, welcome our new moderator overlords.

It will be a nice break from the following conversations:
    1. how coop?
    2. when can I sell?
    3. OMG my parry failed 3 times!!!
    4. what is lf?
    5. This game mechanic is the most broken I've seen in my 143 years of gaming!!!!
    6. PDXTai and Fyra swearing in various languages.

In all seriousness, is there anything us non-moderator-but-still-trying-to-be-reasonable-humans can do to help?

Inkfingers, LeisureSuitLoli and Stexe like this.
  5. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I'd assume reports will work fine. It would be nice if moderators could have access to the reports. I've been reporting people for abusive behavior constantly and it would be nice if someone could check and determine if action needed to be taken.

6. Would have volunteered for it, but Blue Manchu has much darker plans for me.

Just kidding. We finally get some authority in the chat.

PDXTai likes this.
  7. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

I assume you are going to continue doing horrible things to people. Nice to know it might be official.

Glad to have some oversight in the chat. While it has rarely been a problem, it's good to know it will be unlikely to be a lasting problem when it comes up.

8. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Yay! Glad to hear, all around. (Even if it will probably be some time before I get a chance to pop in again, ha ha ha.)

9. Stexe

It would be nice if we could press a button to put an alert out for moderators that might be online. Lots of toxic trolls in the chat right now issuing death threats and cursing people off constantly.

seth arue and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  10. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

(alert) Isn't that what reporting does at this point? Alerts a mod to check into something?

11. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

You can always friend them. That way if they're online and you want them to look into something you can immediately PM them.

12. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

I think this is a super-great idea and would love it if people messaged me when they were feeling like the chat was getting uncomfortablely hostile or spammy.

ParodyKnaveBob and seth arue like this.
  13. Stexe

I searched for them and none were on. I'm more like talking about a button to possibly send an alert if none are online.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  14. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

This isn't what reporting does, sadly. If someone PMs me though, I'll always look into it if I haven't been paying attention.

15. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Same here; I try to make a statement whenever I see conversation starting to turn to a not-so-desirable skein, and will always look into something.

16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I'm unclear who you hope to alert if none of us are online.

If/when it occurs that no mods are online and there is inappropriate convo going on, it would seem that the best course of action might be to just note the time and notify Flaxative. If over time it becomes clear that their is a regular mod-less window, he could consider adding more moderators for better coverage. Those would just be my thoughts, ultimately it'd be up to him and Jon.

Flaxative and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  17. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Problem was that it was mainly one person, with multiple accounts. I'm not sure if there's a way to easily stop that, but I do have a suggestion. (Although it may be a bad one.) I've played games that don't allow you into world chat until you're a certain level, etc. In this case, perhaps at least beating the tutorial to unlock world chat. It'd keep people from making multiple accounts that don't play the game and just troll chat from being able to do so as easily. Just my thoughts.

Xayrn likes this.
  18. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Normally I'd say yes to this, but we actually get a lot of questions from people still in the tutorial. If world chat is blocked off, they're not going to have their questions answered, and that's not good.

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  19. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

Where have I heard this suggestion before?

Stexe and seth arue like this.
  20. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Really? I imagine this game to be so simple anyone can pick it up. I currently can't fathom what questions a player would have while still playing the first 30 mins of the game. My thoughts on when world chat would open up is as early as when you get your 3rd party member. If there's legitimately people with questions before that point, I'm very curious what they'd be.