Announcing: Card Hunter PvP Spring Season

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Apr 1, 2014.

1. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Happy I am in 8th, but I can't see myself staying there for long. I can win a good 100+ games per week, but just about all of my losses are 6-0 or 6-1, so my Standing continues to plummet through the floor. I believe from Wednesday night to Thursday morning, it went from 10 to -4. It's easy to lose, but hard to maintain. Ugh. I guess we will see however.

Thanks for the work so far. The season has kept me interested in the game so far, both quelling and intensifying my frustration with the game. Not sure if that's good or bad.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Well, you're thanking me, so I'm going to guess good :)

In any event, best of luck with your standing. Maybe you can analyze why you get blitzed when you do lose, and make some changes to your party to shore up those particular weaknesses?

3. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

It's very simple to figure out, I think:
    • I use a combination of characters that are likely hard to master and probably overmatched on higher levels; however, I like them and want to try to master them and get good with them.
    • Likely not enough good cards; unless I find a divine weapon with multiple Contagions on it, I'm not sure what can be done to vastly improve either.
    • I'm dumb very often when playing. Just plain dumb.
    I'm not sure what can be done other than repeated tries to get better and hoping I don't get obliterated all the time. Maybe this will make me a timid player that is boring to play against, but it is what it is. Sorry for the whining, and thanks for responding.

Flaxative likes this.
  4. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Ugh, win two games, lose one. Right back to where I started.
    Going to be a looooooooooooooooooong road.

Also, I might be done playing against people ranked +/- 200 to my rank. It takes all the fun out the game either way. Either I feel like I'm picking on someone or I'm target practice. What's the point?

Looks like someone else will be taking my spot in the contest. Feel free to move this post if it's getting too off topic.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

the point is, if u manage to win vs a higher ranking u get a nice little boost to your elo :), i must5 say i lose alot more to lower ranking players than to the higher ones

gulo gulo likes this.
  6. tuknir

ye same here, i been playing alot more, but till july goes alot of days..will be hard to keep it up

7. Questor

Questor Ogre

A simple solution would be to raise the limit on the plus side to 25, people who are tanking a lot would still have a negative standing but the players who just get blitzed often because of unusual builds would not be punished.
    Also a more elaborate explanation about the scoring on the Metapage would be nice because you have to search the forum to understand how to win or lose standing.

At the moment this is the only information: http://cardhuntermeta.farbs.org/standing.php

About Standing
    Players earn Standing by winning games, or by losing games where they earn at least two points and their opponent earns at least four. Any other loss is interpreted as an early resignation or non-attempt, and costs you Standing.

I understand that everyone gets blitzed from time to time, but that shouldn't happen often enough to reduce your Standing more than regular games increase it. Unless you are Gary.

Frequently insta-quitting to artificially lower your rating, on the other hand, will nuke your Standing and drop you from these leaderboards. So don't do that. Ta.

Just add this: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/unofficial-statistics-site.4949/#post-49700
    Standing works like this:
    Win: +1 Standing
    Lose with >=2 points and your opponent >=4 points: +1 standing
    Lose with <2 points or your opponent <4 points: -2 standing

And i think you also lose standing if you forfeit, not matter the score.

Lord Feleran, Flaxative and gulo gulo like this.
  8. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I understand and respect that, but it has been a very high-risk/low-reward endeavor so far for me personally. It might simply be my lack of card-hunter talent, and that's okay. And I'll still engage now, but it's getting very disheartening. Standing really is no fun.

That being said, everyone have fun with the cards!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    tuknir likes this.
  9. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Just this morning I decided I'm going to actually start to track my ranked games to see how many are blitzes. I want to know if I merely perceive it being a high rate, or if it is actually the case. I woke up early and couldn't sleep so I got in a few more games than I would normally. In 8 games today I've gone 4-4, but all my losses and two of my wins were by blitz. (Only one match ended by quit and it was 5-2 so still not a blitz.) Way too small a sample, but if in fact games are ending by blitz for one side or the other anywhere near 75% of the time, it would seem +1/-2 might not be the best ratio. For me personally, my net standing for the day so far: -4.

If I was computer savvy enough to know how to use the API to mine some data I'd try to research results as a whole, but for now will just keep tracking my data.

Regardless, I think these are potential issues with the standing system itself and not with Flaxative's PvP Season. He's using what is currently in place and I for one am perfectly happy to see the PvP Season exist and am perfectly okay with him running it as he decides is best with what resources he has available!

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That's cool that you're looking into that, it'd be nice to find out whether the core standing system is fundamentally flawed. Then maybe in the future @Farbs could fix it. But yeah it's not a very useful sample, and I'd be interested to hear more if and when you track more results!

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah it would be great if the mechanism were more transparent!! Good idea. I hope Farbs sees this :)

12. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

@Flaxative Do you know if there's a way (not asking you to do it necessarily) to use the API to get the score data of a bunch of rated games. For it to work one would need to be able to filter out games that were not rated of course. If that could be gotten, it wouldn't take much work at all to eliminate all games that ended with the winning score less than 4 (eliminating insta/rage quits) and then figure out the blitz rate. This could help Farbs tweak the +/- ratio if he was willing.

I just know with my lack of free time I'm not going to have a quality sample size for quite a while, and it would be better to have a cross section of the MP population than just tracking my team makeup and playing style anyway.

13. tuknir

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

15. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yeah, it's just over my head and I didn't know if the capabilities were there or not. That's okay, Neoncat's tool that tuknir posted will probably be effective enough.

16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Did some data crunching, didn't want to usurp this thread though, so what I found is here.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  17. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

18. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I think you need to specify a time when you're "capturing" the data for each week. :-P

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I've specifically chosen not to and explained my reasoning.

20. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

Now is a good time to collect data Flax!