Announcing: Card Hunter PvP Spring Season

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Well, If they're maintaining top ratings I suspect they have enough.

Stexe likes this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

You could maintain top rating with a basically item-complete build, but still want items to try other builds. *shrug*

Jarmo and Scarponi like this.
  3. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

True, but for a 3 month long thing it is kind of brutal because you'd only really want to use off builds in customs.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Depends on how bad your off builds are :p
    J/K, I hear you, but I think the people who want to play ranked with less competitive builds are already doing it and having fun with it.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Week One Standings

[​IMG]
    Congrats to this week's chart-toppers! We'll see how they fare throughout the rest of the season :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Enough to stay on top is not the same as not wanting some items that would make the build even better. My point has been all along that all players can still use some items, no one is yet in the state of not wanting a single item more (from the current set, AotA will of course change things).

Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.
  7. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Im at 6? :eek: hows that even possible, i been messing around with my decks and losing alot :p

note: fun fact i win alot vs higher ranking than me and lose alot vs lower rankings -.-

Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.
  8. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

There are only a few Legendaries I want... the probability of the specific Legendary dropping from a chest (even Epic) is so insignificantly small that I might not even try for it. On the test server I opened 600+ Epic chests and have yet to find a Vibrant Pain or Strongarm (the two items I want on main). What's the chance that one of the items I open contains that? It is like giving a millionaire lottery tickets as a prize -- it means a lot less to someone with money than it means to someone without money.
    Whew, glad I got 4th. I thought I might be 5th or 6th. That and I just got more Elo but I guess it wouldn't change the standings due to everyone else being so much higher.

9. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Doesn't matter 4th or 6th, in the end your average rating matters.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

@Jon - do you think it'd be a good idea to tweet the weekly standings?

11. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yeah, let me know and I'll do so.

12. For ties, shouldn't the tied players share a number? This is the system used in the actual in-game rating. I was surprised to see I was ranked #11, while #9 and #10 share the same rating. It should go 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 9 9 12, yeah? Or is there some tiebreaker you're using?

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Nope, you're definitely right! Thanks for pointing that out :)
    EDIT: Updated.

14. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Looks like there's a tie for 3rd in the other competition too, fwiw.

15. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

These are rounded numbers in the first table. Unlikely that they are exactly equal.

16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

You're correct that it's unlikely, but I did actually run the numbers before posting :cool:.

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks, @Scarponi ! I'll be more careful about this in coming weeks.

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey guys, I have a blog post on the main site about the Spring PvP Season! Jon invited me to say a few words about the event. I'll be updating weekly with stats, analysis, and thoughts.

The contents of said post may be largely old news to people following the forum thread, but feel free to check it out anyway. I think there might be one or two bits of info in there that I haven't shared elsewhere. I'm happy to entertain discussion of the post either here or in the comments section on the blog. Needless to say, this is pretty cool, and I'm very excited! Stay tuned for more updates, and remember: if you make the weekly charts, your name will appear on the Card Hunter blog! :)

19. bluebluegreen

bluebluegreen Kobold

The calculation of the Most Wins category is flawed. You are using a career win rate rather than a weekly win rate.Those that start the season w/ a higher win rate have a huge lead at the start of the season. I was very active prior to the season, w/ a win rate of 50-51% over a 1500+ game period. I just refused to build what I considered a cheezy deck just for a higher rating. Instead I played a (1/1/1) all different races deck. How do I compete w/ a guy who walks into the season with a 69% win rate over a 2000+ game period. Just over the past week I managed to raise my career (overall) win rate to 53%. Of course, over this week I had to win at a significantly higher rate than that to achieve even a 2% bump (at one point I was rated 1712 crazy right!). Conversely, how many straight games will the guy who starts the season w/ a 69% win rate over 2000+ games have to lose to even drop down to 64%?! It seems to me I'm being penalized for being the most active non-competitive player prior to the season. Even worse, since this season thing is cumulative over the weeks the longer I have to play catch up on this career win rate thing the farther behind I fall in the season competiton. Over the course of the season I will have to win several hundred more games than that guy at the same rate he is winning just to break even. I hope I'm wrong about this so please let me know Im just being paranoid Flax.

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

You're not being paranoid, and your criticism is mildly valid, but this is the way I've been calculating it from the beginning, for whatever it's worth. Also, it's easy for you to see it as you being penalized, or that the category is flawed, given your position as someone who doesn't have the highest win rate. On the other hand, you're probably going to top that chart every week for the entire season so I'm not sure why you're complaining, being in first place—makes lines like:
    seem a little weird. How do you compete...? Really? :p

Now that's not to say that someone couldn't be affected by this. But I chose the methods I chose to reward the things I wanted to reward. Spamming wins within the week is clearly an effective method for climbing the charts, but having a higher overall win rate is a small boost. I'm open to investigating different methods for the next season.