Announcing: Card Hunter PvP Spring Season

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

@posts 58 & 59:

Ooh, drama! Delicious, delicious drama.

Get a room :rolleyes:.

Sir Veza, neoncat and Stexe like this.
  2. Sir Veza addressed this quote far more eloquently that I could, but it's important to highlight a problem here. The game will never be played wholly to the rules you are so set to. It will never happen. Human nature alone ensures this fact. In essence you are raging against a brick wall.

While we're here, lets bring up what is in fact a far worse form of game manipulation and rank inflation, which is those who are sitting all day just to pick and choose when they queue. It's not possible for me to point any fingers here (and nor would I, it's not proper form) because it's not essentially possible to prove. However, it is very obvious who is doing this. For a start, check the frequency (or lack there of) of rating fluctuation. When you've identified a candidate, observe when they queue. It's quite illuminating. I don't have a problem with anyone who does this but it does, in some cases, smack of hypocrisy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  3. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I "talked down" to people talking about game balance who were 1000 Elo and said "Elo doesn't mean anything and you can easily gain 1000 Elo by being lucky." I wasn't using it as simply saying "higher Elo players are always right," I was explaining that generally the better the player... the better the understanding of the game. From there I explained my points. "Were I slightly higher on the autism spectrum I would have saved the chat log" -- wow, talk about being offensive and down putting to those who suffer from autism, I find that highly offensive. Also, I don't see how you need autism to save a chat log, but please do in the future if you're so strongly motivated by this.

"The myth that all high rank Elo players are like that"? Like what? I was accused of suggesting nothing but nerfs and backed up the fact that I've been working on a buff suggestion list and that at higher Elo you see 2 or 3 dominant builds which polarizes the meta and leads to a stagnate game with little interesting choice.

Elo does not beget authority, but it does have a strong indication that the player understands the game's structure and strategy more than others. There is a reason why games are nearly always balanced by the highest ranking players (look at StarCraft, Guild Wars, League of Legends, Counter Strike, Magic: The Gathering, and more).

Using PaladinGP's build (which I used in the beta except without NS because I didn't have a Lochaber or VP) and SLG's build (which I used to use before I switched builds) doesn't simply mean you'll win. There is a LOT more to the game than simply having good ideas. I've faced many players with multiple Vibrant Pains who are in the <1400 Elo range because they make numerous gameplay mistakes. Participate in Peasant Games and you'll see there is a lot more to it than simply having the best items -- TheShadowTitan doesn't have a Vibrant Pain or use 3DC and he is an amazing player.

When did I say Elo was the end all be all? It is simply another factor to look at (like a baseball player's batting average is a strong indicator of his skill related to hitting balls) -- I've provided detailed reasons for my suggested balance changes ad nauseam in the other thread. Why do I not have genuine creativity or obvious inherent understanding of the game?

On another occasion someone was having an issue and I implied I would take it to the devs or that I'm a Blue Manchu employee? First, I never said I was a BM employee. Next, "taking it to them" means delivering the message, even if it is via Twitter or forums or whatever. You are really twisting whatever I say into any negative connotation you can muster and it is off putting and hurtful.

And yes, I keep a list of people who purposely throw games as a way to report them to Blue Manchu so they can investigate. Those who intentionally lose games, have extremely negative attitudes, use offensive language, and so on need to be deal with. What is "everything that needs to be said?" I want to improve the game, the community, and more?

I'm done discussion this with you as this isn't the time or place for it. If you'd like to continue this discussion please send me a private message and we can talk about it there.

4. Stexe

A) Why do you think it is "just a silly game and it doesn't matter"? Is StarCraft just a silly game? Is Magic: The Gathering just a silly game? I don't understand your rational for that classification.
    B) I don't know what you mean by this. What are you referring to?
    C) As long as you're trying to win, or at least finish the game, then you have nothing to worry about. Playing aggressively isn't against the rules.
    D) The system of matching players based on Elo and giving rewards for wins. Those who manipulate the system unfairly hurt other players playing within the system. That is why it is against the rules to "intentionally throw matches" -- if you don't like that rule take it up with Blue Manchu as they are the ones who instituted it. I'm just following it and reporting those who don't.

5. Stexe

I queue whenever my first chest is available. That is a moving point of time so I actually play against a large number of players. As for abusing queue times, it is possible in theory, but I don't believe it is that widespread. I do know some players are in different time zones and play when not many other players are online -- thus their actual rating might be slightly inflated or deflated. But that is extremely minor compared to someone who is throwing games to lose 1000+ Elo to play against opponents who are cake walks.

Do you have any suggested solutions to fix the problem of selective queuing? I'm not sure how Blue Manchu could deal with that (or even if they should deal with it). But I'm curious to hear what others might think.

6. I have no interest in speaking to you privately now or ever. One must however occasionally stand-up to bullies or those lower ranked players may lose the incentive to return. You don't need to try and defend yourself over when you queue, there's no way of proving it one way or the other and it wouldn't matter to me either way. Just saying "I don't do it", doesn't mean anything. An hour ago you said you were going to sleep and yet here you are. What people say and what they do are often different, such is human nature. The same human nature that is preventing everyone from following the rules 100% of the time.

7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

USE THE <BLINK> TAG! :D

Some of us play for fun, not competition. There is no incentive/punishment, even an account ban, that would ever cause me to finish a game against someone playing WW. When CH stops being fun, I go play other games (or play the forums, as I am at present). ^_^

8. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Also, kitten. Just because.

[​IMG]

9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Is that a sorcerery kitten? The pattern on its belly looks to me like a scorched, smoking brain.
    Or maybe I'm just projecting.

Flaxative likes this.
  10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

IMO, yes.
    Toy builds, just for fun, etc.
    Oh, that system. I've heard of that! Saves my needing to look into it. :cool: And I agree, be nice to the noobs.
    Vent on other crotchety old-timers as you and Scorp are doing. :D

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey, @Stexe , @Sir Veza , @scorpion_wins : I like all of you a lot, as I'm sure you know, but I fear that your arguments are meandering further and further from the actual topic at hand and might be best suited moving into another thread. Just 'cause some of these posts are getting super long and borderline ad hominemy and I'm not sure how productive that is in this particular context?

Sir Veza and Stexe like this.
  12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey thanks for the support AND constructive feedback! That said, I've known people to tank. It does happen. I won't name names here. I've also known people to resign all their games on Celestial Koi. I'll name a name here because the example is educational: My Name still has positive standing. Also, people who throw games on a map usually do it because their build can't win on that map. I see no reason to reward those players for not building a party that can compete on every map in the rotation. I'm not reporting them, but I think it's okay if the standings for this competition are dominated by people who can and do play on the full rotation.

Also, I know some players resign immediately whenever they get matched up against someone they think will beat them. They don't necessarily tank their rating by hundreds of points to get easy matches, but they throw about 50% of their games and only play the ones they think will win. Obviously this season competition won't eradicate this behavior, but hopefully by rewarding opposite behavior it will encourage people to play the way I want them to play XD

I have some other things in mind that I want to try with regard to the problem of throwing games instead of playing them out, but those things are going to have to wait a bit because I don't want to announce too many things at once.

Thanks again for your feedback, and let me know if you think I'm being too dismissive or whatever. Always happy to discuss these things.

Good call on the Loot Fairy Tracker.

The rewards are a bit cutthroat? They're what Blue Manchu offered to give, and I'm going to choose not to discuss how that conversation went down. I think they're generous enough in their own way being as they're pure upside to winning which already carries some rewards. Anyway, the prize structure won't change, at least not for this season. Maybe next season will have different rewards. Thanks for the feedback.

Stexe likes this.
  13. Stexe

I mean cutthroat as in for some of the prizes. Only the top person gets all 3 figures? Seems weird to limit it that way. And I have a good idea how the conversation went... I can understand why they don't want to just give pizza. And yes, it is very generous I just think the distribution of the prizes feels off. Like first place gets a significant amount more than second and third when I'm not sure if it is going to be that binary in that first was THAT much better.

14. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

i want the slime warrior...looks really cool, ofc i stand no change :(

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I hear you, but the prize structure isn't changing. It's not in my hands at this point. I'm going to leave it at that, sorry.

Sure you do!!

16. Stexe

Heck, I stand a chance and I'm still "meh" about how little they are distributed. Would have preferred they be easier to get and maybe also available for purchase (at some large price like 200 pizza or something). That way we have the trophy as a status of the season, and not the skins as super exclusive stuff.

17. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

Oh hey can I choose which slime figure to receive? I want a triple slime warriors team!

Flaxative likes this.
  18. Stexe

Yes, you choose which you want.

19. dashv520

dashv520 Orc Soldier

Just give some bonus for people to climb up the ranking.
    Otherwise, I don't think it's logical to tell people to stay high in the ranking but it will take more time to get the loot.

Again thanks for Flaxative for this PvP season.
    Though I don't think I am joining ... to be honest, I play this game only once a week now just to check the Randimar's Rarities.

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Heh, I have plans. :)

Yeah, this is definitely designed more for active players than inactive players, but you never know. A couple high-profile players have started playing again since the start of the season. Whatever floats your boat—I totally understand getting burned out on Card Hunter (I just hope it never happens to me).

Sir Veza likes this.