Announcing: Card Hunter PvP Spring Season

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Apr 1, 2014.

1. TheShadowTitan

TheShadowTitan #3 in Spring PvP Season

One question, how can you see if a player played 10 games or not? The weekly standing shows wins in that week, not the games.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'll try to respond to all your posts.

@gulo gulo : It's the top 20 wins, sorted by points (and filtering out people who tank). There could be people not on this list with enough points to rank, but I simply can't go through every single player in the database to cover that.

@The Mask Makers : Lord Feleran is right, in the sample data table "points" is Wins * Standing/10 * Win Rate. After some consideration, I will be changing this by removing Standing from the equation (except by having a minimum of 0 Standing for players to qualify). The new equation for points is just Wins * Win Rate, and this should be reflected in the (updated) stats in my first post.

@Lord Feleran : I hope this answers some of your concerns. I do think massively negative standing should be taken into account, because unless you smurf like a boss you won't have negative standing.

@Scarponi : I hear what you're saying. I'm sorry if the word "synthesize" was too vague. I'm going to basically add up everything in my weekly tables in order to create an overall seasonal table, and then the prize structure will be applied to the Overall Top 20.

@TheShadowTitan : Some things are changing slightly in the first 24 hours in response to users' concerns. No need to delay the season. I'll have the prize structure up in a few hours and then everyone will know exactly what they're aiming for. Regarding knowing whether someone played 10 games or not, first, if they've won 10 games, they've played 10 games. Second, I check guild history on Farbs' meta site.

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I have updated the opening post with edited sample stats and (hopefully) clarified explanation of how standings work.

4. TheShadowTitan

You probably should say 10 wins not 10 games, not everyone have a guild and it's a little hard for you to check all people

I think you don't need to hurry with the season start, give it a few more days for people to know about it and every question to be clarified.

5. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

My question was actually this: Could I just quit today and play 10 games on 30.06, go past PaladinGP (and everyone else) with those 10 and top the 2nd table? :)
    Or is there some more complex formula where my raiting before that date also matters? :)

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It's not 10 wins for the rating chart, it's 10 games, so I'm just saying what it is :)

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No, you can't—you'd be past PaladinGP for ONE WEEK, but the overall season standings are going to take every week into account. Basically, there're what, 13 or so weeks in the season; your performance in a given week will be effectively 1/13 of your overall performance.

Lord Feleran likes this.
  8. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

Hmm I prefer the old system which includes standing in the equation...

So at what time exactly will you collect data for week 1?

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

@Huey Laforet : UPDATED I'm now multiplying points by log(standing).

I'm not going to make the time of my data collection public because I think that will lead to people gaming the system; grinding standing at last minute, etc..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  10. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

Can't we at least know the day?

As I see it the Highest rated ranking can change quite a bit after just a couple of games (At least for me, 3 losses and I'm dropped from 2nd to 13th). So in order to compete in both categories I think I'll have to be able to make sure I'm at the top at the end of each week. Or is that too gamey?

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

April 1, April 8, etc.

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I've finalized that the "Most Wins" category will be weighted by win rate AND log(standing). This means the lower your positive standing, the more you're affected by that lowness. Players with 8 or 9 standing should see relatively little penalty. First post updated to reflect this change. I think that these rules and formulae will suit us just fine. If there're any show-stopping bugs with my methods, feel free to alert me to their presence; barring that, feedback on the methodology should be focused on improving the next season, if and when it happens. Thanks!

Stexe likes this.
  13. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

You might want to get Blue Manchu to retweet this. I had no idea about it until I read the discussion between you and TheShadowTitan on the test server.

Also, "most game wins" is meh... that really rewards those who just grind a lot -- not those who actually play the game well. Someone could have a TON of wins but actually just throw games or just play a lot and only try to win when they know they can.

EDIT: Oh, I see you're adjusting for Standing. That's a good start... I wonder how else you could fix it though.

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm adjusting for standing AND overall win rate so we'll see how it goes.

Blue Manchu has officially sanctioned this and is providing prizes (TBD) so I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to get the word out. Tweeting and posting to Facebook would both be good.

15. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

(off topic) Lolz, I feel like I need to go update my banners now, Flax. I must have the classiest forum-spam signature. :p

Flaxative likes this.
  16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I really outdid myself this time. :)

Stexe and neoncat like this.
  17. TheShadowTitan

How is that overall seasons standings table going to work?

18. TheShadowTitan

So, every Tuesday?

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Probably for the Most Wins, add the points of everyone who made weekly and then make a table of the point tables. For Highest Rating, divide everyone's weekly standings rating by the number of weeks the season runs, add up the results for players who made the table multiple weeks, then make a table of the final rating sums.

Tuesday for you :)

20. TheShadowTitan

Week 0 counts for the season?

"For Highest Rating, divide everyone's weekly standings rating by the number of weeks the season runs, add up the results for players who made the table multiple weeks, then make a table of the final rating sums."

So its the sum of the rating of the weeks people do 10+ wins and are on top 20 divided by the number of weeks the season runs and what is the rest?

"add up the results for players who made the table multiple weeks, then make a table of the final rating sums."

Can you explain this in other words please?