Announcing: Card Hunter PvP Spring Season

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I've explained myself and others have explained for me and you keep saying the same thing over and over. It's like arguing with Waugapapa! :p
    Maybe you won't see eye to eye with the rest of the people in this thread, but hopefully you can stop repeating yourself endlessly regardless?
    I appreciate your feedback, but when it's the same thing over and over again, it ceases to be helpful.
    At this point, it's just something you want, and it's been noted, and it's not happening.
    Thanks for your input!

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Can you explain your rationale again then? How would someone game the system if they knew when you were capturing the data? Every single "season" I've seen let's its users know when they have the cut off period (see StarCraft, League of Legends, Dota 2, etc.).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

None of those games reward players for tanking, right?

4. Stexe

No, but how would your season reward tanking?

5. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Stexe, it seems to me you're looking at it from the perspective of one player trying to game or not game the system. Flaxative is looking at the effects on the whole season playing population: it would be bad for the stated aims of the system, counterproductive. I think he's explained the reasoning behind that well enough. Isn't it a more effective use of time for you both if you go back and read it again rather than ask for re-explanation, let alone the more polite thing to do?

Sometimes one just has to accept one's reasoning is not enough in weight or relevance to sway things to one's taste rather than keep bringing an issue up again and again. Otherwise one risks becoming just an annoyance and losing also future good will and credibility and degrading one's future influence.

6. Stexe

His rationale was:
    The whole "I want to play but I don't want to lose rating" isn't really applicable, because someone who is gaming the system will wait until after they know he has captured data and posted it to play and possibly lose rating. Those who are not available to play right before a set collection time aren't at any advantage over others -- at least I see no way there is an advantage.

I'm only asking now because I didn't think it would come into play again (which is why I left it alone before), but after further inspection and seeing as how it mattered this week I wanted to bring the topic up again. I'm not trying to "be an annoyance," I'm trying to look at the system and see if there are flaws and what can be done to improve and learn for in the future. Every other game I've seen that has a competitive season has a set cut off time listed -- it seems weird to me that they'd all be doing something wrong when this system is doing it right. That's why I'm asking for clarification on the issue. No ill will or anything, just want to both improve the system and learn from it myself. =)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The game itself rewards tanking (losing rating = faster, easier games = more loot more quickly).
    The easier I make it for players to switch between tank builds, PvP chest grind builds, and rating-farming builds, the more I undermine my goals here.

8. Stexe

Yes, but the game rewarding tanking for items has no correlation for the season you're running. You capture the data once a week, so people know what day it is on -- I'm unsure how saying what time you will do it changes how people will act. It isn't really feasible to play a tank build for the first half of the week and then climb back up in the later half of the week. People who are playing for Elo are always playing with "rating-farming builds" because a single loss sets you back so much at high level that you can not really risk experimenting or switching builds much. Maybe saying a specific time could be problematic to "most wins" due to someone trying to artificially inflate their Standing right before hand by playing out matches, but even that seems to be a stretch.

9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

This would be a surety if the time was known. It being unknown at least forces the system gamer to avoid playing for a longer, unspecified period. This discourages doing so.

By the way, it's rationale (noun), not rational (adjective).

10. Stexe

Yes it forces them to avoid playing for maybe an hour or two more. Not a significant amount of time considering. And thanks, "rationale." It is almost 4:30 AM here and I'm about to head to bed so my grammar part has shut off. I'll edit the previous posts. =)

11. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Why only an hour or two more? How would they know the time frame so precisely when Flaxative can grab the data whenever he wishes within e.g. a 24-hour window?

Also, Stexe, while I'm letting the pedant banner fly, could you please not quote the whole post when you quote? It's basic netiquette to distill the quotes to the minimum needed, I've always been taught.

12. TheShadowTitan

TheShadowTitan #3 in Spring PvP Season

Unfortunatly in my last game I got disconected and lost 30 points :( I was at 1767. And I was probably going to win that game

Stexe likes this.
  13. Stexe

That's a pretty strong pedant banner. I'm quoting directly what I'm talking about so it won't be taken out of context. I'm not quoting every single response in the topic and it isn't that overwhelming, is it?

As for an hour or two, you're right it could be more -- I thought he was capturing it around midnight each night. However, it looks like he captured it nearly 24 hours earlier than last time from what I can tell.

14. Stexe

Well, what would you prefer? A specific time for it to be captured or how it is currently going (random)?

15. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Sure, but the whole post every time (and yes, the quotes here haven't been truly massive, I'm commenting because of the pattern I've noticed)? You need the whole post each time to establish enough context? Surely you can rely on the goodwill of other readers to some degree? This isn't an overseas business contract negotiation or litigation process.

16. TheShadowTitan

I'm not complaining about the time it got captured. For me it's the same. Most of the weeks I only do 10-15 games and this week I only got my 10th game yesterday but unfortunatly I got dced and couldn't reconnect fast enough and I lost 30 points which is alot :(

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

No matter when the data is captured, someone will always have fortune smile or frown upon them just at the right/wrong moment. If it happens far enough from the deadline you can still risk doing something about it, you'll be glad there is a known deadline, if not, it's just an additional insult to your injury. If on the other hand you decide to play it totally safe and not risk anything for a good long while before the deadline, well, then we're already into the area of behaviour Flaxative is trying to avoid or discourage.

Flaxative likes this.
  18. Stexe

Well, as you say it isn't some official thing so to each their own. I like having the quote to which I'm referring to so people can skim and see what I'm talking about.

Well, I guess if other players don't have a problem with the time that's fine. I'm just curious what the consensus is towards a random or fixed recording time.

For me it makes it worse because as someone who is competitive and trying to "win" I'd gladly sacrifice a full day of not playing if I know it will give me a better chance. I'm sure others think that too, which is why a lot of people play barely more than 10 games a week and stop once they feel they've hit a "high" until they know it has been recorded and posted. If I knew I had "X hours left" to fix a potential drop in Elo then I'd be playing more rather than just waiting around in fear of when the data is collected.

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Interesting posts, thanks guys.

20. TheShadowTitan

It's normal that Flax don't have free time always at the same hour every week. So I think it's ok