Animations Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SurgeonFish, Aug 5, 2011.

1. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I was wondering if there are going to be any sort of animation in the game. Doesnt nessessarly have to be like the character moves his cardboard arm to smack a creature (i dont expect paper cut-outs to move), but like when i use "Smashing Blow" would i see a mace over my character's head comming down depicting that im preforming the move over my opponent and then he gets hit stars over his head depicting his stunned nature.

2. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Good question. We're trying to keep the animation all "in fiction" - where the fiction is that you are actually playing a board game / card game. So you won't see characters moving their limbs - they are cardboard pieces after all.

That said, good animation and sound really bring a game to life. So we'll be doing our best to make it cool and interesting within the context I just described. We'll have more to show on this over the next few months.

SurgeonFish likes this.
  3. SurgeonFish

Thats good to hear!

I do understand you are going with a more "Board Game" approach to keep that kind of apsect. But when it comes to video games there is a certain degree of "aesthetics" that gamers are accustomed. Little things like these sounds and graphics.

I cant wait to see what you guys have cooking up, and as long as it doesnt look like the 2 board pieces are humping each other to represent "Combat" then it should be fine =P

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The trailer video shows a card striking the dragon with a "Chop," so it looks like we'll have something. And hopefully it will be complex: having every attack card simply chop down on the enemy would get repetitive. Thus, variety is needed.

How many different ways can you strike a target with a card? I can see the overhead "Chop," a fireball card flying toward the target (while itself engulfed in flames, please?), a slashing motion, an uppercut motion, maybe a boomerang . . .

5. Hopibear

Hopibear Mushroom Warrior

I agree with you sir knight that not every attack card have the same Chop down animation.
    It would definatly get repetitive.

6. Rising Zan

Rising Zan Mushroom Warrior

I would like it if it's the last hit then the character piece gets to ram into the monster piece like what I do in these kind of games. lol

7. Strumiker

Strumiker Mushroom Warrior

It's late for me so I don't have anything to give for an example, but maybe we should find some games that do this well - for this style of game. Duels2012 doesn't really have animations, I think just fancy particle effects? It does well there to not distract from it being a card game. I honestly don't care for the style that Runespell did, and I think a Puzzle Quest spinoff used as well? Where they have a 3d animation up top. Just my opinion of course. What PQ2 does is decent enough - it's quick and to the point. For me, I would rather it be short and sweet than drawn out.

Any other examples of what we do and don't like?

8. Rising Zan

Rising Zan Mushroom Warrior

I like the animations from Urban Rivals the Free to Play CCG.

9. SurgeonFish

Ya i played a lot of urban rivals, those animations are decent, but i was hoping for more along the lines of something like the animations from Ragnarok Online. Not the character animations but when you use special skills often times an animation will happen over your head like when a blacksmith uses (big massive hammer attack which name i cant remember) you see a hammer appear over the head of the character and smash the ground.

10. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

11. SurgeonFish

ah, where did you find this gem of a quote?

12. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

See the link in the RPS Interview II thread...