An Ode to Blue Manchu (Epic moments in Cardhuntria)

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by supamanu, Sep 24, 2013.

1. supamanu

supamanu Kobold

My party has reached lvl 9 and I'm currently in round 3 of the Cardstock Tournament.

My experience so far with the campaign is how incredibly well balanced it is, which is a major tour de force given how incredibly hard it must be with the random factor of deck draws. Pretty much every scenario has been a nail-bitter, and it's been a blast.

Round 2 of the tournament delivered an amazing moment.

It's a brutal battle given the opposition and my warrior and wizard got quickly wiped off the table, thankfully taking down a few baddies with them.

I was left with my injured priest running around the lake in circles pursued by two massive ogres (can't remember exactly what they are called) who also happen to have that attachment that makes them ticking time bombs with acid :/

I thought my number was up, the only thing keeping me alive was their slow movement speed. But turn after turn I managed to draw a few healing cards, and eventually their attachments wore off giving me a chance to try and deliver a killing blow without dying in the process.

Eventually I reached a point where I had 7 HP left, with 1 ogre to take down. Problem is I had to get in close, survive, and deliver the blow without his armor triggering.

I edge into contact, thankfully survived his hit down to 1 HP, and with a prayer to the gods of Cardhuntria played my final card... dice roll... missed saving throw and slash, ogre goes down!

Biggest grin on my face, ever,

Now I'm about to enter round 3 and I don't see how I am possibly going to survive this.

Onwards!

2. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

hahaha, I had a very similar situation :) but I ended up with my wizard running around the lake from one of those ticking bombs and since he was specced for lightning I did no dmg at all agains his Resistant Hide, luckily I got my copy of Resistant Hide and a bash skill so I could finish him off up close without having to worry about the acid, but man that fight was the toughest one I've encountered thus far

3. Andrew Talbot

Andrew Talbot Mushroom Warrior

I had a fairly late-game comeback win recently that saw my wizard pulped by some branches and my cleric reduced to 2 hp.

Of course my cleric ran for the hills and my fighter stepped in to somewhat help seal the breach, fortunately I had a few lucky armor draws early and had soem straps and reliable mail on. With no attacks though he was looking like a pinata at an ent party. Next turn he draws another straps and heavy armor, one attack was a bummer but I had stacked so much armor that 8 damage attacks were getting reduced to 1 or zero. This gave my cleric enough time to heal up, while the warrior soaked so much abuse and dished out attacks once or twice a turn, not moving because of the armor.

After that, I took the time to heal both back to full after some more damage and chased down the final tree. The final blow was an all out attack boosted Mighty Bludgeon (28 dmg! :) )

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

For reference, those are "Festering Zombies." They don't act very Ogre-like when they play Brains! on you. (You'll see real Ogres at another point in the campaign.)

Some of my favorite moments also include those zombies, but in this case it would be deliberately triggering their Festering Guts and killing ALL remaining enemies on the board.

5. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

And now for an example of Epic Fail, from an MP game I just lost:
    Code:
    BATTLE LOG: Event=PlayAction,Action=Inspiration,Instigator=Lady Teldra,Targets=Aliera e'Kieron
    BATTLE LOG: Msg=Kalin drew Cowardly for Aliera e'Kieron
    BATTLE LOG: Msg=Kalin must play a Trait
    BATTLE LOG: Event=PlayAction,Action=Cowardly,Instigator=Aliera e'Kieron,Targets=
    BATTLE LOG: Group=Aliera e'Kieron,Event=Discard,Card=Mighty Spark
    BATTLE LOG: Group=Aliera e'Kieron,Event=Discard,Card=Wall of Fire
    BATTLE LOG: Group=Aliera e'Kieron,Event=Discard,Card=Winds of War
    Worst. Inspiration. Ever.

7. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

Chat was broken at the time, but one moment that I remember was my couple low hp characters vs Iro's couple low hp chars on Bridge map, and both players with 4 to 5 VP stars after some closely matched fighting. Round ended, next round drew Obliterating Chop in perfect spot to clutch the match. Clicked card - "No valid targets." Jaw dropped as I looked at my character and saw that Squemish was still active. With no other game-winning options left, I instadied on his turn.

Another situation I remember was on MP Cave, I was running a trolly build with a bunch of blocking maces and healing. Game went like 8+ rounds, and ended with my victory and all 6 in the game characters still alive.

8. Cazliostro

Cazliostro Kobold

I have had multiple games in the campaign which ended with one character just barely holding out with a handful of HP left. In one case I was down to one character with one HP left... waiting for any useful attack card to win - and then getting that card and winning!

If this kind of thing happens once or twice it's a good game. If it keeps happening over and over (which is my experience so far) it is a great game! Being able to balance out so many possible cards / strategies, etc. is just jaw-droppingly amazing to me.

As a counter example of this - another game I really liked when it came out was Armageddon Empires - which is also a combination card-based plus map-and-counter game. It's really quite fun, but the AI isn't up to snuff after one gets the hang of it. The result is a game that's just as deep and complex as Card Hunter, but is too easy to beat... players are known to use "house rules' while playing it to make it more challenging (refusing to use certain cards, etc.) - I just don't think that's going to be the case here.

9. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

Yesterday I had a situation where I had very bad lack with attack cards until I was down to my last warrior with 4 hp against 3 goblins, somehow my luck changed and I've got a lot of parry/attack cards in the next few rounds. Used hit-and-run tactics and managed to kill all three of them, but took me almost a full circle around the map to do so! :)

10. Skølldir

Skølldir Kobold

My best moment so far was when at the monkey temple my party got whirlwinded by the last flying monkey, sending everyone by the wizard far off the control point, the wizard was placed right next to the monkey. the ape took the control point and we were both 1 star short of a victory. my Wizard was burned out, no spells left, not even a move. I paniced a bit, because my warrior had all the attacks but he only managed to wlak up 2 squares.

But that idid however put hims 6 squares away from the wizard.

Advanced battle training + Wizard + Obliterating Hack = WIN

Zalminen likes this.