Am I The Only One That's Bothered By The Pizza Rewards For MP?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Avarice, Apr 27, 2014.

1. progammer

progammer Ogre

Just chime in to share my experience, I currently don't have much time for CH compared to when I was in beta and pre-release so I'm just slowly enjoying the SP contents. I rarely have time to try out a league even though its free to join. I got crushed in wicked waterways because I didnt build a deck for it before hand and some other disconnect.

I didn't get my free lunch that I'm supposed to get. And if I stayed up all day queuing for league I probably will win some. Which is fine, because now I've become a casual player. Hardcore powergaming should net you advantages in all kind of games anyway. It's like complaining that some dude have time to grind and get the purple chest every single day and you don't so you have a disadvantage.

I'm fine with not getting pizza and supporting BM more when i need pizza. Among those hardcore players who farmed too much pizza, the majority of them probably will still want to support BM anyway. Club membership ran out fast. A F2P game should always have more places for player to spend money than normal player should.

PaladinGP and Flaxative like this.
  2. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

600?? Did you sleep at all this time? Lol. Because to earn 600 pizza, even having a good win %, you would have had to play almost every league they made so far! I think I made near 200, but I only played 5 leagues so far. I guess that, once you have all the figurines, the number of earned pizza is highly increased if you finish first due to receiving more pizza in exchange for the figurine you already have. Anyway, 600 is just too much.

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah, I won Artifact Anarchy and Chess Madness each 3 times, I think, so I got 320 extra pizza just from figure reimbursement...
    It's true I didn't sleep much, but for whatever it's worth, I played a lot of leagues first and foremost because they were super fun, and new, and I was excited to be playing with so many people! The figure prizes were secondary, and the pizza prizes were basically unimportant to me (as I already had 600 pizza going in, most of which I'd bought...). I can't complain about receiving pizza, obviously, but it definitely seemed weird to me that I was able to accumulate so much. Anyway, I've said my bit, and my feelings aren't super strong in any direction.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    neoncat likes this.
  4. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

You can buy pizza, but not sell it, so pizza does not really equal money. That being said, it doesn't bother me in the least that league players have a shot at free pizza. I'm crunched for time right now, but I may try it myself if things lighten up in the next couple of days.

5. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I know, leagues are superfun. If I have had more time the last 3 days, I would have played them all too :p

6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

[checks his league standings]
    I've won 3 figures and 200 pizza so far. I chose not to join the Geomancer league running right now because I got that figure yesterday and that league is really stressful and long (the length will be fixed soon). I will try to get the fourth figure while the leagues are still free (but I'll probably only have one chance at it) and probably play more non-constructed ones when I have time. I don't think I'll be playing them once they start charging pizza.

7. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

What is the one you're missing? I just got all, geomancers was the one I had left. I enjoyed all the leagues, but AoA is the best pre-constructed in my opinion (Goemancers have some very op cards compared to the rest of them), and Wicked Waterways is the best non pre-constructed, just because Chess Madness is pretty similar to what you see in normal mp. But, if I had to choose an easy one to farm for pizza and chests, I think it would be Chess Madness. I won the two of them pretty easily, mostly due to the difference of gear with my opponents. Maybe I got lucky that I didn't get paired up with someone high in the rank who ran VP or multiple lochabers.

8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I'm missing Melvin; placed 5th and 4th the two times I've played that league. Curiously, that fourth place rank had the same number of wins as when I won the geomancer figure.
    (wins/played : rank)
    Artifact Anarchy:
    0/4 : 5th
    2/4 : 4th

Chess Madness:
    2/4 : 2nd
    4/4 : 1st
    3/4 : 4th

Wicked Waterways:
    3/8 : 1st

Clash of Geomancy:
    3/4 : 2nd
    2/6 : 1st

9. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

Avarice just handed me my first loss in Waterways with my current deck, so it looks like he/she's just been unlucky with the pods if they haven't won :(

I think it must be a tiny number of people getting hundreds of free pizza. You have to be playing 3 leagues a day and winning most of them to make that sort of dent, which is maybe 5 hours?
    I don't think it'll be more than a couple of hundred dollars overall it's costing BM considering they're only free for a week.

10. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Of course BM won't go bankrupt because of handing some free pizza for a week, it's a minor cost for promoting the new leagues and encourage players to continue playing them. The problem is, firstly, that it's only for people who play mp (there are some players that just don't like playing mp and play only sp), and secondly that, as 2 of the leagues are not pre-constructed, the older and high ranked players have too much advantage over the rest because of the item advantage, so the pizza distribution isn't the best. It's just the richs getting richer.

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Probably, but if it's also based upon skill that should be expected. It's how they got 'rich' in the first place.
    I do think it many players who don't win will be dissuaded when it goes 'Pay to Play', but the pod system, or a pod-by-ranking system might be enough to keep player volume at reasonable levels.

12. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

fwiw, that's the 2nd league event that I played. I figure if they're giving free pizza I might as well get some of it. So far I've got 75 pizza after two events. It'll start adding up if I can get some duplicate figures.

I'm not going to get left out if this is their approach.

13. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

It's not, it was a temporary thing - which might have either been more generous than they planned, or as stated earlier - part of a release event. Duplicate figurines no longer award pizza, but epic chests in the next build.

14. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Which kind of blows because I figured I'd get in on the free pizza and already have one figure...

Guess I was too slow on the draw.

15. TheShadowTitan

TheShadowTitan #3 in Spring PvP Season

Unfortunatly I only saw the leagues almost in the end, I just played 4 of them and got only 1st place in one of them, so I didn't get much pizza.

16. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

On the 1st day of leagues you were in my pod with 2 wins I think, anyway second after me, so you knew about leagues! :p

17. Samedi

Samedi Kobold

I thought some leagues were going to cost gold to enter? Not that it's a huge deal, but I really enjoyed the leagues, but I don't see myself spending a lot of pizza to join them, for many of the reasons mentioned above (I don't begrudge the dedicated or skilled players their wins, but since I'm not myself super hardcore I don't see myself spending a lot of money to join pizza leagues either). Anywho, hope at least some of the leagues will cost gold, so they are a little more for-fun/not stressful. (And while pizza is cool, it's also cool if pizza is not a prize for gold-entry-fee leagues.) *tosses 2c into the pot*

P.S. Oh, and for context while I don't suck, I tended to come in 3rdish (with a couple of second placements) in a bunch of leagues; I always ran into at least one of the really high ranked players (and often had at least one in my pod).

18. TheShadowTitan

TheShadowTitan #3 in Spring PvP Season

I played one on Saturday (no idea if it was the first day or not) but I thought it was like in test server, 1 league from time to time. In test server it was like 1 week between each league or even more time.

Only yesterday when I logged again, I saw that there are leagues every 5 hours. I did 2 yesterday and 1 today.

19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Curiously, I've had 3 first place wins, 3 second, 2 fourth, and 1 fifth. But I've never placed third.