Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

How about this: People can message me to reserve items for the next AA and when the next AA begins I post a list of reserved items which only the people who reserved them can post them until a week passes after the AA opens or they submit something else. Each player can reserve a list of items but only the first which follow the restrictions will be posted and the items must not be already reserved or already submitted by a different person in a prior AA.

2. Dingding123

Dingding123 Orc Soldier

but what if I don't trust you with my dingaling

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No.

Juxtapostion likes this.
  4. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

This is INCREDIBLY shaky territory for all the same reasons that copyrighting abstract concepts is shaky territory. I wholeheartedly agree that people should not be able to claim rights to a specific combination of cards on an item. In the end, if the item makes it into the game, we all have access to it - and that means, in the end, the way in which these item concepts are valued is for the impact to the community. And one free copy of an item is not worth the incredible strain on creativity that failing to enforce idea ownership would bring.

Groups are at their most creative when their members have frequent encounters with differing ideas and opinions in a safe, collaborative environment. Threads like the Smithy are amazing for this kind of collective creativity - they generate lots of content, from lots of different design ethics. Any kind of idea ownership clamps down heavily on that collaboration - by making concepts owned things, we make people less willing to share them freely, which reduces the number of different viewpoints we encounter.

I'm firmly against idea ownership appearing in the Card Hunter community - even if an item I came up with was submitted by another user and won, I've still made the CH community a stronger place. @Juxtapostion - I understand that you would feel frustrated by this situation, and don't want to make it sound like you shouldn't be... but I do think that BM staff sanctifying players right to ownership of an idea is ultimately more destructive to our community than someone poaching an idea another forum member had. Hopefully that makes sense?

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes.

Also, just to clarify, we may or may not add a lot more items to the game over the course of its lifespan. Some of those items may resemble items suggested in the Smithy or other threads. *shrug*

Juxtapostion likes this.
  6. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

I could not agree more! And, I am not frustrated. I thought it would be a good thing to address. If it is chosen I will be very excited!

Inkfingers likes this.
  7. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Thats a longggg name...
    I dont think it will fit in the space provided for an item's name :p
    (no but seriously, what is this item called?)

8. ATTCRNLAP2PEOTISIWAHAAJAJBALDTTWEABEAPCCTATSO-SEWCSAP4MAIHR2TAITMASCOC+BTWIJW2SICNOGITTRSRRFSTGASWYWOCSYCSLBOOYTAIKSAOBBITIWWALABMCATS2HSCTTWTOWYCBUECPTRR2PSSIYNAWPMMIUNAMDIKIKOCBAT4HCAAEIIDWIBGAT2MM4RMAAMFWAHGBCAIKWCMTICGA Slippers

Obernoob, Vholes and BlackVoidDeath like this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I will close submissions at the end of the month, then reveal the winner in the first week of September. MM9 and AA2 should come out sometime close to mid-September. I've been really swamped with other stuff but I'm pretty sure I'll make it work :)

10. BlackVoidDeath

What about the PVP boards contest? When will new boards be added from that?

timeracers likes this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No plans right now. Also, off-topic. :p

12. BlackVoidDeath

Sorry about it being off-topic but i didnt want to start a new thread about it and i thought this was a good moment to ask.

13. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

...You're making a video about this AA too? If so, when do we expect that?

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm hopefully making it today.

15. BlackVoidDeath

By today, do you mean you will post it today? if so when and what it your timezone because i may already go to bed by the time you get round to posting.

16. He's in the PDT timezone.

17. BlackVoidDeath

whats that on UTC? Like +3 -5?

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Video is here!

19. BlackVoidDeath

The space where the video is supposed to be is just a blank square, anyone else getting this?

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader