Aloyzo's Arsenal #2 Peer Feedback & Discussion

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pawndawan, Sep 2, 2015.

1. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Here are my 2 coppers for all the items of the AA2 items, I will try to keep it brief(there are still a lot of submissions to discuss).
    I have decided to add links to the items for your convenience.

1: It's a decent tokenless human skill which we don't have enough of, but the toughened hide strips doesn't belong in a human skill. I approve.
    2: This is better than Gunward Shield but isn't good enough to be played outside of SP. Another problem is that this has quick reactions which only belong to helmets and elf skills. I approve.
    3: This would be the first item with 2 Forward Thinking and wouldn't be bad but the slowed which is a dead card really handicaps this skill. I approve.
    4: This would be the second boots with 2 Lunging Bash but this is OP being at the perfect level(8) with the last card being an under rated Dangerous Manuevers while also being a legendary making it inaccessible for most people. I disapprove.
    5: This is great for elf wizards which no doubt need it, but large weapons don't belong on elven skills and might I say it is OP for the wizards. I disapprove.
    6: My item so I will let someone else discuss it.
    7: This adds another way to get inspirational thinking and advanced battlefield training and this would make the latter more accessible being the first rare human skill. I approve.
    8: We already have an item like this which is solid like this but this is also a legendary. I disapprove.
    9: This would be the first item with 2 or more retreats and it is tokenless with a nice obvious manuevers making for a good item. I approve.
    10: It has 2 overpriced cards while the third isn't good, this also has laser cutdown which doesn't belong on a shield. I disapprove.
    11: Brutal charge doesn't belong on elf skills and having 2 of them really removes any chance of this being added. I disapprove.
    12: A resubmission but I changed my mind about it. This is what I like to see in a racial skill. But I do feel it is tad powerful with having a parry, an obvious maneuvers, and a Run, Team! . I approve. .
    13: A fun idea but I believe it is a bit powerful for a dwarf skill though the elvish insight doesn't belong they have an excuse for it. I approve.
    14: It's a bad human skill because it has Scamper, Team! and its level is sadly 10(don't get me wrong I don't level 10 items are bad just not what we want from AA) without OP cards to compensate. I disapprove.
    15: This is a tokenless human skill with a decent set of cards. I approve.
    16: A resubmission: "A solid tokenless boots with violent spin but it is an epic. I approve."
    17: This would be the first item with 2 or more retreats and would be fair having 3x retreat which makes a fun item. I approve.
    18: Submission failed to follow the rules(max level 21(.5)). Invalid. (hint elven trickery is silver+)
    19: A fun idea but smashing spin doesn't belong on shields and forced rotate isn't a player card which all adds up to a bad item in this case. I disapprove.

Part 2 posted.
    Part 3 posted.
    Part 4 posted.
    Part 5 posted.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Pawndawan likes this.
  2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Part 1 of the review is here
    Page 2 of entries:
    1: This has a fun theme and isn't too powerful because it has 2 strong cards and a bad card. I approve.
    2: This shield doesn't provide good card draw and the effects on to replace it aren't impressive having an icy block and a reflect missile which is quite overrated. I disapprove.
    3: Submission failed to follow the rules(max level 21(.5)). Invalid.
    4: Reflexive teleport is way overrated and the other cards can't make up for it. I disapprove.
    5: Anvil strike doesn't belong on shields, also having only 1 block card on it is bad. I disapprove.
    6: Shield Block is worse than parry in most cases because it can block without also drawing the card and costs a whole 6 rating more! I disapprove.
    7: An extremely cool idea but getting killed by a shot from a team of only warriors could ruin your day. I shouldn't forget that it has a non-player card which is OP but has a bad to compensate it is a fair item. I approve.
    8: This is a bad item because it is a level 13 which has an a very underpowered card namely unblock. I disapprove.
    9: I like that this is the first item which has lateral thinking and a handicap while being balanced, but there is no question in my mind that blind rage and lateral thinking don't belong the same item. I disapprove.
    10: The item is fine except for leap which doesn't work with the flight aura and leap has a severe case of being overrated. I disapprove.
    11: This is pretty sweet but I can't endorse legendaries without an exceptional reason. I disapprove.
    12: This item has not 1 but 2 non-player card with one of them being OP which also has a convenient level of 6. To finish this I will say this boots has no move cards. I disapprove.
    13: This item is pretty fair but I don't understand why we have a traveling curse and a laser block on the same item, I guess this would be a pretty obvious pick for a handicap quest. I approve.
    14: The shield has a fun theme but shouldn't be a shield because it has laser sprays on it while being too weak. I disapprove.
    15: There is also this same suggestion but with Run, Team! instead of Dash, Team!. This item would be a sweet tokenless skill but I feel Run, Team! version is fairer. I approve.
    16: The idea is cool but the balance is off because it has all non-player cards which should stay non-player cards. I disapprove.
    17: A good item giving another option for Dwarven Battle Cry with a decent theme too but nothing too special about it. I approve.
    18: This is a tokenless human skill which makes the first tokenless human skill with leadership. I approve.
    19: Similar to suggestion #29 but it has hover to make up for the leap. Hover doesn't belong on regular boots but belong on these boots because of the theme. I approve.
    20: Almost the same as Impetuous Shield and Halo Shield but the difference for 1HP people won't forget, but this has very limited use making it not worth crafting. I disapprove.

Part 3 posted.
    Part 4 posted.
    Part 5 posted.

3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I did. The wheels were godawful wobbly, and drug dogs alerted whenever I rode by.
    Hmm. Violent or smashing spin might work as bicycle wheels. Dwarves appear to be the only real source of beard hair, but on some cards they might pass for hippies. Seems possible.

4. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Page 3 of entries:
    1: This wouldn't be strong simply because reflexive teleport isn't strong but at least this would be more playable than the other boots with this. I approve.
    2: This would make catch arrow more accessible but I feel this isn't very strong other than in SP. I approve.
    3: This would be a very powerful set of boots maybe a bit too powerful but this is the first tokenless boots with jump back also adding another way to get sparkling cloth armor. I approve.
    4: No doubt a good tokenless human skill but this kinda feels like a shield. I approve.
    5: A cool of boots this makes but far from good. I disapprove.
    6: The concept is fun but I think the best use of these would be made by support priests who don't need to go anywhere and doesn't have many attacks. I disapprove.
    7: I don't think disorienting block and obvious maneuvers belongs on the same item, also making this item OP. I disapprove.
    8: I like the theme but this does seem a bit weak. I disapprove.
    9: I don't understand the idea of the item but either way it is a bit under powered. I disapprove.
    10: Much more balanced than your last item but it has 1 non-player card which well should never be on a pair of boots. I disapprove.
    11: This would be the first minor dwarf skill with frenzy aura and makes for a sweet item although I don't think bloodied block is the right choice for the block. I approve.
    12: This would be the first boots with double team shifts while being fair. I approve.
    13: This is a pretty cool item which also would be the first decent major costing shield with lifesaving block. I approve.
    14: Somewhat of a cool concept but no ones needs these because we already have boots with more violent spins and boots with lots of spin around. I disapprove.
    15: We all know and love Defender's Aegis but this is well better making it too strong but being a legendary will make it only an advantage to those lucky few who have it. I disapprove.
    16: The concept no doubt is awesome but the usability not so much being an epic that has a bad level(10 is bad) with a terribly annoying trip. I disapprove.
    17: A cool idea because it is the first item with 2 dwarven battle cries(it combos) but doesn't to keep it in balance. I disapprove.
    18: Submission failed to follow this month's restriction. Invalid.
    19: The idea is sweet and the boots are balanced. I approve.
    20: A resubmission: "It is a cool item but not very strong. I approve."

Part 4 posted.
    Part 5 posted.

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Page 4 of entries:
    1: Defensiveness on warriors is OP making this skill better for warriors than other classes. For warriors this is a sweet tokenless human skill also vamps but other than those this isn't what you want. I approve.
    2: Cool idea and this does provide another decent option for Laser Block which is better than the other handicap shield option. I approve.
    3: Reflexive teleport doesn't belong in elf skills also this item is too weak because of it. I disapprove.
    4: A great idea but it would be a bit better if this had brutal charge instead of charge. I approve.
    5: The combination of cards is bad because it is too weak because it has quick step mostly. I disapprove.
    6: Similar to submission #7 but fright is better for different classes mostly priest. I approve.
    7: A cool idea but it's pretty weak because it has cautious sneak. I approve.
    8: I don't understand why there is a force field on this but the item isn't too weak. I approve.
    9: Choking bolt isn't a player card and would be OP as one. Boots don't magic with some exceptions but this has 2 magic cards that shouldn't be exceptions, oh and shall I remind you that this has no movement cards. I disapprove.
    10: Similar to Parrying Buckler but as I said shield block isn't worth the cost to upgrade but you aren't paying any upgrade cost from Parrying Buckler so it isn't a bad shield but it doesn't add much. I disapprove.
    11: A good set of cards with good synergy. I approve.
    12: Similar to submission #9 which as I said would be the first item with 2 or more retreats but isn't quite as powerful which makes me prefer that submission instead. I approve.
    13: Hover doesn't belong on boots and to make things worse radioactive cards are on this item which also doesn't fit. I disapprove.
    14: Quick reactions don't belong on shield but it does have a cool idea. I approve.
    15: This would be the first item with 2 or more healing dashes which I like and a bad third card to balance it. I approve.
    16: There are 2 items similar namely Araco's Boots which replaces the fright with sparkling cloth armor and Reckless Boots which replaces the lunging bash with sprint so this boots doesn't add much. I disapprove.
    17: As I said hover doesn't belong on boots but having 2 hovers is way too much. I disapprove.
    18: A like the idea not the name(lazy command is better(since the others do the sprinting)), the item is a good item because Sprint, Team! is great and the other cards aren't bad for a support priest as much. I approve.
    19: A resubmission: "This would be a very solid tokenless human skill. I approve."
    20: This would be a sweet tokenless shield which also conveniently has a handicap making a very useful shield. I approve.

Part 5 posted.

Pawndawan likes this.
  6. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Depending on the maps, Cautious Sneak cab be ok to good. In the current season I would give it a try.

7. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Best case you are paying 1 less rating then run.

8. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Page 5 of entries:
    1: This item is weak because slowed is a painfully dead card most of the time and the item's level is 5 with only dangerous maneuvers trying to compensate which it doesn't. I disapprove.
    2: Similar to Gunward Shield but you upgrade weak block to missile block which isn't worth making another item for, especially since the Gunward Shield isn't even used. I disapprove.
    3: This item is simply too weak because quick step is well isn't good most of the time. I disapprove.
    4: Joke item is joke item but seriously sparks still don't belong on boots. I disapprove.
    5: This would be the first item with 2 forward thinking with a nice bloodied block to round it out. I approve.
    6: Scamper is way overpriced and dash and trip aren't good to compensate but to make matters worse the item's level is 10. I disapprove.
    7: Let me say what I said with the last item: "Scamper is way overpriced" at least this isn't on a skill and level is a much more reasonable 19. I disapprove.
    8: Similar to Twipp's Energy Boots also similar to a lot of boots with 2 energizing moves on minor token boots and we don't need more sprints either. I disapprove.
    9: This would make laser block more accessible and would be great against wizards because of missile blocks and the fact that this item has the perfect level(17). I approve.
    10: A cool idea but the cards don't belong on boots and the item is severely underpowered because scuttle is also way overpriced and adapted to anything is extremely weak and more so for adapted to radiation. I disapprove.
    11: A cool and fun idea but smoke bomb doesn't belong on boots and good thing too since having 3 warriors with this would be OP. I approve.
    12: This would be the first tokenless dwarf skill with toughness and would be great being at level 7 with a convenient and fair handicap namely ill-fitting armor. I approve.
    13: We already have Lewin's Boots but that is a legendary so this would be easier to get but this isn't very good and we do have Beige Boots if you want quick run instead of violent spin. I approve.
    14: This would be a good pair of boots if fright wasn't D(paper(0)) rated on boots but because it is I can't approve such a weak pair of boots. I disapprove.
    15: This would be a sweet pair of boots which I would consider fair because slowed is basically a dead card. I approve.
    16: Similar to Perfect Tactics but this replaces the unblock with subtle parry making this better but still not playable. I disapprove.
    17: Reminds me of submission #26 which as I said its all fun and games til somebody gets shot and killed from a team of only warriors but this isn't as cool. I disapprove.

Approved %: 47.37(rounded)
    Approved: 45 of 95
    Negative %: 52.63
    Negative: 50 of 95
    Disapproved %: 49.47
    Disapproved: 47 of 95
    Almost Approved %: 0
    Almost Approved: 0 of 95
    Invalid %: 3.16
    Invalid: 3 of 95
    This concludes my review.

Pawndawan and billiska like this.
  9. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Your are thinking too much in quality and rarity. :p The Cautious Sneak is about flavor. If I would have wanted max power I would have choosen Dangerous Maneuver. But how flavorful is Dangerous Maneuver on an item called Defensive Tactics?

10. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

No, the rarity is hardly considered for anything but legendaries, I wasn't saying the item was bad because it was weak(which quality does matter a lot to determine the power of an item), I was just pointing out and noting that it was weak. Ideally all ideas would be playable and have flavor, obviously that will never happen but still it does matter.

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Is tasteless a flavor?

12. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I do not know what you are trying to communicate, can you spell it out for me?

13. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Is someone going to comment on my item?

14. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

@timeracers - Part of the challange of Human Skills, I feel, is that beyond the typically high-cost card draw and team movement (which you seem to be avoiding), there isn't a lot to distiguish one item from another stylistically. You've built a solidly composed item - a situationally amazing powerful card, a useful card, and a moderately weak one - but it fails to really capture my attention. Parry and Weak Block don't really mesh with the theme you've built with the name.

Also, none of the cards you've selected make common, noteworthy appearances in the Tactics line of human skills, which is dominated by Card Draw mechanics. What you wanted, probably, was something more like "Flanking Command" or "Skirmishing Command"... and with names like those, I could easily see cards like Retreat or Scuttle, Team! coming into play alongside Flanking Move (although Retreat could easily make it more of a "_____ Flexability" thing).

It looks like what you were going for was a human tokenless skill, rather than a strong thematic element. Unfortunately, that lack of theme made the item come off as a bit bland. Consider shoring up the theme a little more, or shifting your theme to tell a story with lower-cost cards if the Tokenless element was important to you. Working in low-cost cards like Attack, Soldier! or Block, Soldier! might be an option there.

How does Flanking Command (Flanking Move, Subtle Parry, Block, Soldier!, Epic, Tokenless) sound?

Pawndawan likes this.
  15. What is the problem with blind rage and lateral thinking on the same item?

16. MathuranF

MathuranF Lizardman Priest

I think that is only for fright on priest items, pretty sure it's a -3 on everyhting else, in the item creator it was a tokenless item.

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Blind Rage isn't a human card.

18. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Boots use the highest rating of the three classes as demonstrated by Reckless Boots, Bully Boots, Toad Boots, and other boots.

I don't you should be able to be in blind rage and do lateral thinking.

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

What? You can equip a Crazy Sal's or similar and use Lateral Thinking. Why do you think that's some kind of exploit somehow? :p

20. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

It's like having toughness and vulnerable on the same character, you shouldn't be able to get it on the same item.