Aloyzo's Arsenal #15: You make the card! Part 4: Card Effect!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Oct 21, 2016.

?

Aloyzo's making a new card. What's the card?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2016.
  1. Clear Mind

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Disengage, Soldiers!

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Ready to Strike

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Scout's Vigil

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Terrifying Visage

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Trailblazer

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry_The_Guy

Fry_The_Guy Lizardman Priest

I think there is a lot of room for more armor which attaches cards when you take damage (like adaptable).

For instance, there could be an armor that when you take damage attaches a card to you which heals 5 at the end of the round. Basically, its a really good armor but can only prevent damage once a round and has other weaknesses (like dying before it can trigger, and being purged after then enemy does their final attack of the round).

Other examples would be an armor that attaches a 1 duration force field or a 1 duration martyr's blesssing when you take damage.

If you wanted to get creative you could have it add a copy of perdition to the attacker's hand, or attach a 1 duration copy of taunt to the enemy (that enemy can only attack the same target for the rest of the round).

2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I think Attack/Assist also makes sense.

3. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I just looked at these cards. (They're pretty! heehee)

Besides the questionability of the attachments, it damages for two (Attack) and draws cards (Assist). Like Misguided Heal damaging for two (Attack) and healing four (Assist).

The Mandatory Action surely makes it a Handicap. The Attack is kind of weird to me. Everyone purges, gets randomly formed, then draws a card. That could totally be a Utility in my mind. I mean, I missed the playtesting and all, but its being Attack kind of amazes me the more I think about it. Maybe it's about the flavor? ~shrug~ $:^ \ I mean, even Whirlwind/Enemies is Utility, and its/their random disruption seems (to a person who hasn't played WN) on par with WN.

• Am I wrong, or was Word Of God once in play, then removed at some point? Anyway, WoG specifically does something different to allies vs. foes, but it's only one action it performs.
    • Likewise, Illusionary Terrain changes the map in a way biased in its player's favor -- biased line of sight, biased Stop -- but it performs a single action, and its cards are pure Utility.
    • Any hybrid I recall ever seeing performs two separate actions (or is a Mandatory Handicap). Right? Kalin's idea contains only one action -- and the action doesn't even have separate effects. Everybody (EDIT: oh, within the four squares, I didn't see that earlier) gets a Boost|Handicap attached, all at once in one action.
    Yeah, WN is an oddball -- but then, so's the fact that Festering Guts somehow never got hybrid Boost status, too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Krunail likes this.
  4. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Kalin's card seem more like a priest card to me.

5. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Visage'd be a boost, since it's a non-armor by concept (unless you're trying to signify it's a worn mask, rather than actual appearance). The core mechanical difference is that armor cards have counters, while boosts for the most part do not.

Blind rage is additive and managable, while Walpurgis night usurps your deck control, so the latter is definitely several shades more problematic.
    Walpurgis is handicap (detracting) and attack (directed enemy manipulation). That said, I'm also entirely unclear as to why Incitement would be utility, rather than Attack|Boost- utility is based in manipulation and countering, and doesn't have a direct association in applying effects.

Think War Cry. :)
    Flavor is part of it, but it's also the fact that it's a directed offensive gesture. In essence, it's about drawing a line between offensive gesture (attack) and manipulative gesture (utility), so cards of the sort will tend to go one direction or the other.
    In addition to straightforward harming, offensive gestures include anything that subverts defenses, weakens, etc, while manipulative gestures are more about relocating/redefining certain elements (and really seem to mostly be based in counters to existing negative elements, and in character repositioning).

Thus, Incitement would theoretically be Attack|Boost, as it (harms) and (boosts). ^.^

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  6. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Example Helmet Utility cards:

"Tactical Shift: Swap positions with an adjacent ally. Set facing for both characters. Cantrip."
    "Aegis of the Protector: Attach to target ally. While affected ally is adjacent to this character, all attacks that would affect target ally instead target this character."
    "Veteran's Guile: Remove the oldest boost or assist card attached to target character."
    "Outmanuever: Swap positions with target adjacent enemy. Unblockable."
    "Into the Fire: Move|Utility. Move 5. Take 1 penetrating psychic damage per space moved. || Move target adjacent ally 1. If that ally was standing on a terrain effect prior to their move, trigger that terrain for this character."

Example Helmet Boost cards:

"Marching Orders: Move|Boost. Move 3 || Whenever you would be moved or repositioned by an enemy card, draw a card. If that card is a non-attack movement card, keep it. Otherwise, discard the card. Keep."
    "Guardian's Watch: When an adjacent ally is attacked, that ally may activate this character's blocks. Keep."
    "Veteran's Ruse: If an enemy activates an ability that reveals your hand, discard this card and any number of revealed cards, and draw an equal number of new cards."
    "Holding the High Ground: +1 to all block rolls. If you fail a block roll, discard this card. Keep. || If you would take damage from a terrain effect, discard this card instead."
    "Artful Ploy: Whenever an enemy moves adjacent to this character, attach this card. While attached, this character's movement cards gain cantrip. The next time this character plays a movement card or any other character plays any card, remove this attachment and draw a card."

Anyone else wanna put out some creative juices to help give some impetus to this close vote? :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Hmm....maybe instead of a Jump, Soldier! We could get a Leap, Soldier! >.>

8. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Armor, Soldier!
    Create a Mail card in target's hand.
    Craft a suit of mail and you protect one ally. Teach people to craft mail...

Krunail likes this.
  9. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Fixed. :rolleyes:

10. Helmet Boost Card: Optical Lens
    Trait. Attach to Self. Duration 2
    Attacks you play gain Hard to block 2. Keep.
    "I used to have difficulties seeing the weak spot in my enemy's defenses. Now that I have my handy lens helmet, I always know where to strike. Available in the Goblin Bazaar, open 24/7."
    -Captain Cedric on the Optical Lens Helmet

11. Perhaps a little too heavily nerfed by the non-attack term when compared to Elven maneuvers.
    Elven Maneuvers:
    a) Triggers on Damage, which is more common than repositioning by enemy.
    b) Has a larger search depth
    c) Can draw step attacks, blocks, and armor

Marching Orders:
    a)Triggers when you really need it (when your positioning is messed up)
    b)Syncs poorly with conventional warrior decks (not many non-attack move cards in most warrior decks)
    c)Has an eensy weensy search depth
    d) can draw blocks but not attacks or armor

Judging by Elven maneuver's ranking as bronze, I'd rank Marching orders as paper.

12. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

re: Walpurgis Night being Attack|Handicap
    Yeah, what you described, to me it all points to WN being Utility|Handicap (hybrid because Mandatory). It manipulates, redefines, definitely counters a Silver Inquisitors build for a round (in my missed-the-test imaginings), etc. Consider Redistribute which can be used to totally assist self or attack an enemy, but it's all around neutral -- and like any card, you intend for its existence in your deck to benefit you and more than your opponent. Subverting Defense (vs. outright removing them) doesn't say much: Inspiring Presence is pure assist and is flat-out Unblockable; you can't throw it at enemy blocks -- you can only Heal and potentially draw opp a card.

(and re: Intimidating Visage, yeah, my original vision was that the Helmet itself frames (or masks) the face in some scary way, thus would be removable by the usual means)

LOVE IT! $E^ D
    However, looking at Shuffle vs. Leap, I'm guessing it'd be Purple qualit-- hey! There we go, a purple quality Utility for Helmets! Lol. $X^ D

Hey, that could actually be a quaint li'l Human card to go along with Attack and Block...

~~~~~

The only reason I don't outright fear that Helmet Utility would be certainly relegated to relocations is the fact that Aloyzo intends to present us heroes of the land with several different cards to pick from. I for one am curious as to just what all he'd come up with to offer.

Of course, this could clearly also be said for Armor, Boost, Attack, and Assist. ~sigh~

Potato: I love it. $:^ ] However, I wonder if it'd benefit from a roll requirement (since I expect you intended Keep since you said "Attacks" plural) .. or Duration 1? .. or just rely on the fact that there's only one in the deck with the usual weaknesses of attachments? I mean, I guess it could be a pretty high-quality card with Duration 2 and no roll...

~~~~~

Besides it being fun to discuss these things -- again, I'm feeling all this out to try to prove to myself that this-or-that category could actually be interesting, thematic, and helpful. Problem is, I believe we've all convinced me that any category can be interesting, thematic, and helpful. $F^ ,

Gingrich Yurr and Potato Priest like this.
  13. I meant to give it some lasting duration and the keep property, thanks for reminding me. Edited in first post.

14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Elven Manuevers is duration 2, Marching Orders remains in hand until removed.
    I've played several defensive EWars, and min-maxing defensive moves actually works rather well.
    But, you make a fair point- let's make it Move|Boost instead, and give it move 3?

Edit: Updated ^.^

Potato Priest likes this.
  15. After thinking about this card, I would change a few things. This is a very powerful offensive bonus, and most of the other really good offensive boosts, such as Frenzy aura, sit in the target's hand rather than cycling with a duration. This imposes a limit on their usefulness in multiplayer, because you don't replace them with another card and you have to sacrifice keeping defenses at the end of the round to maintain them. Because the Optical lense is a physical object, that also makes more sense here. I would rewrite the card to this. This would probably be somewhere between Silver and Emerald in Quality.

Optical Lense
    Boost
    Attacks you play gain Hard to block 2. Keep.
    "I used to have difficulties seeing the weak spot in my enemy's defenses. Now that I have my handy lens helmet, I always know where to strike. Available in the Goblin Bazaar, open 24/7."
    -An aging Captain Cedric on the Optical Lens Helmet

16. I like this idea. What is an EWar?
    Edit: Elf Warrior. Duh. Sorry I missed that.

17. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Hate to break it to you, but Boosts-in-hand are harder to remove than attachments, so this only strengthens it further. :oops:
    Rather- optical lenses are fragile, yes?

How about:

Optical Lens:
    Armor|Boost Armor 0 1+ Keep Unless 3 or lower. || Attacks you play gain Hard to block 2. Keep.

I used this particular phrasing so that +armorroll harnesses could still apply to it.
    Otherwise, if you don't want that synergy, make it Armor 0 4+, no keep.

18. Thought about this. Would be nice if boost/armor was looking likely, but it's not. Armor zero is kind of stupid though. Maybe armor 1, roll 5+, non-keep?

19. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

It's just a way of allowing methods to remove the boost via armor removal and dice roll, to limit its potency..
    I've no idea how you're going to explain an eyeglass giving an actual armor bonus, no matter how magicked up it is :p

Anyway, hybrid cards are perfectly fine- so long as at least one of the hybrid components gets voted in, we've still got a shot at hybridizing with any other component.

Potato Priest likes this.
  20. It's like prescription safety goggles. If an inquisitor's badge can provide Reliable armor coverage, eyeglasses can stop a little damage. :D

timeracers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.