Aloyzo's Arsenal #15: You make the card! Part 4: Card Effect!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Oct 21, 2016.

?

Aloyzo's making a new card. What's the card?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2016.
  1. Clear Mind

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Disengage, Soldiers!

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Ready to Strike

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Scout's Vigil

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Terrifying Visage

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Trailblazer

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

People who don't read this tread might not notice there is a new poll.

2. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Why are you assuming that? Other than class/racial skills, aren't most boosts passive?

Nice write-up. :)

3. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Good idea, doing a full run-down. My immediate thoughts:

Minimal damage step attacks are on Helmets and pretty lackluster. I do like the idea of more Projectile Sonic Attacks.

QR and the Auras (e.g. Quickness, Rushing, Flight) and Dodge... Helmets having Boost reactions already have a well established precedent.

Actually, quite usual. All team Pushes are pure Assist.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Helmet Armor is generally pretty minimal and/or reactive with some special property. Harnesses, for example. Mimetic Crown is generally considered an upgrade to Mimetic Armor except wow that item rarity -- and of course you're not paying less than (majortoken) for it, hence it seeing even less play. Sooo yeah, another Helmet Armor.. Eh.

Indeed. $:^ ]

Ah, a disagreement whilst I typed:

Most? Telekinesis and Jump, Soldier! (and oh yeah Ooze Shove heehee) ... then there are the Cleansing and Purging magic cards, plus the uh flood card (it's been too long since I've actually played) and Smoke Bomb... And ha ha ha, Prestidigitation. $F^ b And the Illusionary cards. Nah, plenty of non-move-chars Utility going on.

Okay, $:^ b back to my DunDunDun reply already in progress:

Solid point! The plan is to help their appeal -- and who'd even want another innocuous Handicap Trait (meaning we'd surely get an actual drawback card ha ha ha ha).

I'm down to...
    Attack (hoping for interesting Sonic)
    Boost ('cause who knows)
    Assist ('cause why not)
    Utility (uniqueness)

Ah, also just noticed no Block card available. ~nodnod~

Headbutt
    Block
    Black, Uncommon
    Block Melee. Take 2 Crushing Damage.
    roll 3+
    Too similar to Jarring Block for its own good.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Maniafig likes this.
  4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Indeed, which is why I am posting in a bunch of places that the poll has been updated.

5. I tend to see a lot of dimensional traveler and hover on wizard robes, and a lot of immovable on boots. There aren't many non-trait boosts available to players. The aforementioned Quick Reactions is the only one that comes to mind.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  6. ParodyKnaveBob

Potato:

I suppose you mean pure Boosts? (not hybrids?)

Otherwise, player hybrid Boosts include Blind Rage (trait), several Armor cards, at least four Move cards, and uh maybe one day Festering Guts, heheh. Probably more I missed, too.

7. I suppose I did generalize unfairly, but I still cannot think of a really helmet themed utility card. If the effort is to give helms some distinct attributes, I think that a heavily themed card is the way to go.

8. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

The topic is helmet-primary attacks, and currently all we have is War Cry [which, while non-damaging, is still a sonic attack, hence my indication toward such].
    The step-attacks shouldn't be used as a reference point for our deliberations. :)

Sorry, I meant to say could be quite unusual, in the direction we could go with it- wasn't meaning to indicate that assists were foreign to helmets. :p

As much as I'm pushing for accessible cards on helmets, as a general concept, I have to say that an amethyst Utility IS rather intriguing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  9. Yeah. Thanks for reminding me about hybrids actually. I added a section on them to my initial post.

10. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Possible cards we might end up with:
    Charge, Team!
    Muscle Through, Team!
    Dangerous Manouver, Team!
    Escaping Run, Team!

11. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Okay, in all fairness, Panic, Team! would be hilarious.

12. You mean 2-round Redecorate?

13. ParodyKnaveBob

I don't know if you meant to be funny, Vlamona, but I laughed anyway. $E^ b

(Ah, I see he added Armor when I wasn't looking. A Helmet-primary Armor|Move could be interesting -- moreso than Thick Hide Armor I'd hope at any rate.)

Ah, gotcha, 'kay. $:^ ]

And yes, funny. (Search for "Aloyzo's Arena" on the forum to find a uh purple-quality Utility card, muah ha ha ha.)
    Well, that's what's great here. $:^ J We don't really have to think up the cards at all:

14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

It'd be Redecorate, but with the Mandatory keyword, yeah :p

15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

That's my vote (so far), in the hopes we'll finally get a Sonic attack that actually deals damage.
    *double-checks the CM cardlist*
    Oh wait, Ancient Grudge should trigger Adapted To Sonic.

Oh well, we can still use more of them.

ParodyKnaveBob and Potato Priest like this.
  16. hello world

hello world Hydra

Voted armor for obvious reasons.

We can probably get a trait by voting boost and golden rarity or higher.
    considering that no helmet has nore than one cycling card that is tempting.

17. ParodyKnaveBob

In my estimation, a Helmet-primary Utility would be Projectile Sonic. (Melee Sonic? What? .. Magic Sonic? Perhaps.) Other than a Melee Crushing/Piercing/Slashing intended to keep flavor with the shape of the helm (via headbutting or enemy knocking against it), Sonic seems like the unique way to go -- for active cards; this doesn't account for reactions of course, such as interesting Armors or Boosts.

Frankly, I don't know yet what it could look like, aside from Jump, Solider! -esque. Drawing a card for every character is probably more in line with Assist. We have Inspiring Presence and Healing Beacon with indiscriminate Assist, and for that matter Firestorm and Volcano with indiscriminate Attack (which would likely be discard a card for every character -- see Everbody Drink! from AI.) Therefore, I'm quite curious as to what it could look like. $:^ ]

On the other hand, after Kalin spoke of Sonic damage, that made me remember. We're talkin' Warriors here. Warriors Attack. Attaaaaaack!
    $X^ D

(I'll still hold off a little on voting, though. I wanna see other's thoughts on all this. "Multitude of counsellors" and all that.)

18. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Because, lacking any interesting concept notations to the contrary, the category that's most mechanically uninteresting for helmets is the most desirable? :p
    I'm not arguing against your preference, just that your justification is.. ah, a bit lacking. :p

Also, armor isn't intuitive to a helmet, in RPG games. They're mostly associated with stat boosts and leadership effects and special abilities. Most RPG systems actually don't give them any armor bonuses whatsoever, aside from possibly a critical hit defense modifier.

19. hello world

hello world Hydra

Yep,but there's no armor with an armor score of 3 or higher on helmets, so if the masses also want it to be silver or gold it won't be that boring.

20. Since when does card hunter need to be a conventional game? The Dungeons and Dragons that it is modeled after grants no armor boosts or inspiration boosts in the current edition (I think 5e is still current). Personally, I'd like to see an Armor/boost or Armor/attack, because regardless of what most RPGs will have you believe, helmets are in fact a piece of armor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.