Aloyzo's Arsenal #15: You make the card! Part 4: Card Effect!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Oct 21, 2016.

?

Aloyzo's making a new card. What's the card?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2016.
  1. Clear Mind

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Disengage, Soldiers!

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Ready to Strike

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Scout's Vigil

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Terrifying Visage

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Trailblazer

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

Ready to Strike and Terrifying Visage are the most innovative of those cards.

Ready to Strike is melee oriented, but fighter are well-equiped to deal with other fighters. plus it doesn't help against spear attacks. (but it is certainly a very nice card in campaign module, especially at lower levels)

Terrifying Visage is usefull against fleeing wizards and step-attack warriors, I find it more versatile and it gives control over the opponent. I vote this one

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

The thing to remember about Visage's oh-so-powerful-control:

You can situationally use it quite well, but it still pales in comparison to Wizard control. It's Slide Back 3 -- not Slide 3, not Push 3. Furthermore, a Wizard often revels in Slide Back As Far Away From Me As Possible. (New keyword. Totally.) A Warrior often revels in the opposite -- making this card's Utility half, again, situationally quite usable, but it's not even on par with Muscle Through or Violent Spin (which are Unblockable if you want that) or Pressing Bash -- except in the situation when Visage is exactly what you need. Even Jump, Soldier! is a Push into a chosen direction (and thus facing!). Visage's Utility takes more positioning control than Lunging Bash.

Visage's control is powerful, but -- even despite being ranged on a Warrior -- is not oh-so-powerful.

I like it. $:^ ]
    (I'm just still coming to grips with it being used against my elf wizards... Lol... Eh, I'll probably vote for it. It's what keeps my attention. Y'know what? Voting for it now. $:^ ] ...Wow! Interesting voting results so far...)

3. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Speaking of elf wizards... I think it would be good if elves got a +1 range bonus for all magic projectiles. ... I guess that kind of change is highly unlikely; but I just thought I'd throw the idea out there, because its been on my mind for awhile. I reckon it could be a good way to balance the races.

4. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I personally never claimed it was "powerful". Just that it wasn't balanced to the card quality tier, especially given its unusual traits for the warrior class, which theoretically ought alone bump it up a tier compared to what it'd be for a mage.
    However, a ranged enemy-targeting control effect of any significant potency is rather inppropriate for warriors to have. In the context of warriors, who have nothing remotely similar, yes, it IS powerful.
    You're also apparently severely underestimating the potency of Slide Back 3. 3 spaces allows you a significant advantage. Unlike Jump, Soldier, which mostly benefits from changing your opponent's facing alongside cantrip and having control over the direction, slide back 3 can completely knock someone out of melee range. In terms of terrain effects, it can knock them way far back into any stop terrain or any non-stop terrain against a wall.
    3 is a significant distance, especially on a boost/utility card, which is hard to counter [unlike an attack, especially a melee attack]. Doubting its value is simply underestimating the value of good positioning, or of how reliable the card is when you're already in a defensive position.

Likewise, the move cards you mention are GOLD, and the knockback effect they have is for the most part all they have going for them above basic move cards. This card has a potent offensive effect, and is far easier and more versatile to activate than movement cards that require you to move into melee, or require you to already be in melee to activate.
    For a warrior, who normally has to move into melee to affect any kind of control, this much more versatile ability could be considered effectively comparable to those gold cards, despite their added movement effect. Certainly, we can assume that it'd be silver in its own right [before the second component of the card is addressed]- and presumably, that cost should be bumped up due to the card not falling under the usual scope of Warrior characteristics.

Regardless of the Slide Back component of it, it's still a significant amount of control at a cheap price, which gives warriors a pretty profound edge compared to now, where you know warriors can't slot something like that, and certainly not easily [as a silver card would be].
    But, okay. If that was the only effect of the card, maybe you can push for silver- TK is similarly useful and bronze, so maybe that's a reasonable enough quality distinction, especially if the effect remains helmet-exclusive. It's still a bit awkward in terms of class uniqueness, but hey, okay. Maybe mixing it up a bit is okay.
    But then you're adding in a potent move cancellation effect that could easily be silver in its own right [as many less potentially brutal memory loss cards already are][and again, the AI-exclusive Staggering Blow and Block/Armor-targeting cards aside, memory loss effects are also not really the purview of warriors].
    (Keep in mind also that Reactive Strike is super weak 3 damage attack that only has a 2 in 3 chance of activating its trip effect, and it already is silver quality. Here, you've got a guaranteed trip effect, which alone presumably should be silver, and a much, much more powerful secondary effect. You can argue that Reactive is a bit overvalued, but still- you gotta realize just how huge the benefits Visage currently has are.)

If it was Gold, I'd grumble about class purism, but accept it. Emerald, which effectively pushes up token cost a tier, I definitely would [and would admit might be a bit overpriced- but then, several Emerald cards already are].
    Powerful? Perhaps. Far more versatile to the cost than it ought be, especially given that it utilizes abilities that aren't inherent to the class's portfoilo? Yes, quite.

Besides, balance considerations can be a moot point, if when asking yourself "do I really want to face against players with this effect" gives you an answer of "no".
    Regardless of how favorable the card may seem from the perspective of being the ones playing it, that's a consideration to give careful thought. For me, it's not a circumstance I'm keen on having to keep in mind. For you, it may be more favorable.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Have you looked at my reply to your most recent post prior to this?

6. hello world

hello world Hydra

Voting clear mind because it's the one I think would be more interesting to get or voting visage because it still has a chance to win? choices, choices.

karadoc and Kalin like this.
  7. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

Whichever card is chosen, I hope the Great, Glorious and Bountyfull Aloyzo will craft more than one item with it, to offer different itemization at different token cost. @Flaxative
    up to 3 ? :)

8. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

XenForo removes the context, but Flak said there's chance for item(s) with more than one of the card and for more than one item with the card. (Just click the quote box's icon thing to get the full posts.)

Aerendhil likes this.
  9. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

As much as I like the card and the concept I'm not sure about an helm with double Terrifying Visage (in its current state). Same story for Ready to Strike.

10. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

The poll is really close, I'm curious who's going to win!

Perhaps if we get a tie we'll get a combined card, like Ready to Terrify or Striking Visage. :p

11. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Fire Demon

Just as support is dying out, I voted for Scout's Vigil. It's like Quick Reactions, which is such a fun card, except not a waste when you encounter melee.

That's all. I don't know about balance.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  12. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Ready to strike is a dwarven tank friendly card. Just have your blocks, your armor and your bashes.
    Let them come to die.
    Also, a Path of knives wizard, has a new place to move enemies to.

13. Soltis

Soltis Goblin Champion

Yeah...... Warriors should not be able to cleanse terrain effects...... all that does is play to the whole "I shouldn't have to play anything but warriors" crowd. They also already have more than enough control for their class in the form of weapons/blocks with knockback/positioning.

About the only one that seems Warriorish is Ready to Strike but 8 damage seems a bit much. I mean that pretty much murders step warriors and elf wizards only have 17hp.... all you have to do is corner them and the act of trying to escape is going to knock off almost half their HP in one shot. Which isn't exactly hard to do since cards like Sprint Team aren't exactly uncommon for warrior teams to be running. As well as leaving them open to a finishing blow since it is now the enemies turn.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Very unlikely, given precedent- like the last tie, it's more likely that Flax will break it to his own preference.

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Only one card will be added to the game at this time.

16. boopn

boopn Kobold

I feel like Ready to Strike would encourage too much defensive play and drag games out.

17. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

That at least shouldn't be a risk of the card.
    If you're the one using it, you'll have to eat up an armor/block retention slot to hold on to the card each round. You'll be trading actual defense for counterstriking.
    Since you're a warrior, there's no benefit to you leading enemies on (as no enemy is going to chase a melee-based character if they're running out of the zone of conflict), so you can only use it for static tanking, bash/push based manipulation, or locking in cornered enemies.

If you're the one encountering it, you're going to want to push up against it, as you only risk it triggering if you move around it. There's no reason for you to want to run away from the person using it (more than normal, anyway), so it shouldn't encourage defensive play on this end, either.

It's an approach that'll shine best by slotting a control wizard or bashes- a full defense-specced tank with two healbots is still going to be a more drawn-out defensive option.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Potato Priest likes this.
  18. Founder

Founder Hydra

Urgh. Votes like this, like Brexit and that half the population of the US are prepared to vote for Trump, are exactly why you don't give the great unwashed a vote.

Warriors don't need opportunity to do even more damage - they've already got a good selection of armours that put people off attacking (spiked platemail, mimetic armors, etc.), attacks to get themselves out of combat or push their opponent away (steps, bashes and barge), and nasty blocks coming out of the wazoo. Do warriors really need more ways to inflict damage by being passive?

And Terrifying Visage, whilst slightly less over the top, gives warriors better movement denial than wizards (cold doesn't stop movement) and priests (entangling vines are very low range). Part of the weakness / balance of warriors is that they have to close down their enemies first. If you rush in, your enemy will just move away. Terrifying Visage not only nets them a free attack (if the opponent tries to flee, they waste their turn) but if the opponent has only one move card it can leave them locked in place for a whole turn. Given that it's already quite hard enough to stay away from warriors (with their step moves, team moves, new human traits, and so on) this would seem to be a nail in the coffin. It doesn't even properly close down step warriors, as they'll have loads of other step cards to choose from. So we'll still see warriors bouncing around the map - now with the added incentive of being able to snare a target more easily. And don't get me started on push back 3...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeesh, someone's been reading a few too many Washington Post articles about how democracy is bad! :p

Anyway, poll closes in about 3 hours I believe.

20. HerselfTheElf

HerselfTheElf Orc Soldier

He's right. But it's not the fault of the players.

You guys made these ridiculous and stupid cards. I'm for just throwing this all in the fire and go traditional aloyso's.

I voted for Terrifying Visage, but not because I like it. It's the lesser of 2 evils. Hey, it's almost like politics.

seth arue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.