AI ends turn 100 times.. exploit?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Haxzploid, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

At certain points during an adventure, the AI will pass its turn as its first action. I'm guessing it has to do with positioning on board and not cards in hand. When this happens if you do not move and the adventure does not have a victory condition based on time a party with at least one priest can exploit this. Simply cast your healing spells and end turn go through your deck a couple of times times this way and bring every party member to max health.

i did search forum for similar, but ended up with 0 results.

2. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Are you saying the AI will always pass first on those boards?

3. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Nono, it's not a specific board or adventure.

I have just seen it happen once in a while. It's like the AI refuses to act before i have changed position. If i stand still and keep healing myself AI does nothing. But if i move one step the AI goes; "AHA CHAAARGE!!! INTO THE FRAY.. DIIIE"

Hope i made myself clear now :)

edit: Oh and i really like the game. Good job Blue Manchu!

4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Huh, weird!

Next time you get into this state, can you take a screenshot please? Also, get the battle room name and ID so we can look at the logs.

5. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Yes i will try do this.

6. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

7. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Hall of the sun

You entered ASSH (Haxzploid) <- i guess this is the ID?

at round 29 opponent passed as first action for 5 turns, when i made a move opponent started moving again. Makes it kinda easy stacking the cards you need to win the match. Btw i have noticed it mainly happens when standing in a narrow corridor. you know a tunnel that has a width of just one square. Might just be my brain playing tricks on me.

edit: Sorry bout the lack of screenshot, i forgot and i figured it made no sense after making the move.

8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I saw something similar yesterday in the second map of Strench: priest and wizard were within melee range of some trogs (narrow area between center and where player starts), ai passed, wizard moved out of range, trog attacked my priest (if I'm remembering correctly). Other times I've seen the ai discard attack cards when in melee range.

Okay, random passes would explain most of the ones I've seen.

9. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Aah sorry, i missed the link there. i will try and reproduce it and paste the actual room name and ID + screenshot

10. Proxiehunter

Proxiehunter Orc Soldier

If the AI passed how did you wind up with damage to heal?

11. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

AI does not start the game doing nothing, it happens when my characters position themselves in certain areas (i have not predicted this, but i am pretty good at noticing when it's about to happen)

Let's say i am in turn 12, all my guys are down to 5 health, i find a sweet spot where opponent keeps passing. This allows for me to cycle through my priests deck untill every team member is fully healed.

It's not as if AI keeps passing the turn nomatter what happens, if i move one square, AI will start reacting again.

I am doing it right now, my priest was down to 8 or something, now he is back to full.. will paste a screen and room name + id

12. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

It happens on many maps, and i think it mainly happens in narrow spaces :confused:

BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Citrine Portal Entry,Room=CIDP (Haxzploid),RoomID=13654

[​IMG]

Took me 66 turns, but hey i won :p

13. Proxiehunter

Proxiehunter Orc Soldier

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I thought this was a turn 1 thing.

14. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Wait, wait. Narrow spaces WITH ranged enemies?

They have a preferred range. If the numbers make them too uncomfortable, it makes sense that they would not try to pursue you.

15. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

The AI seems pretty willing to pass turns when they have control of victory locations too. Or at least from my experience. There has to be certain triggers it looks for, and if those triggers are met then they pass (even if in the long run, it would be bad for them)

16. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Yup i'm just trying to point out that it can be exploited.

17. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

This is a local minima effect of planning algorithms. The AI is not designed to arbitrate and strategize new decisions for getting out of such situations, so turn after turn the algorithm keeps throwing up the same numbers and the AI is 'caught'. There are ways around it, but all involve more lines of code which tend to slow processing down.

18. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

I fail to see why it would involve more line of code, as i see it the current lines of code obstruct it from taking actions in specific scenarios in the first place.

19. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by 'current lines of code obstruct it from taking actions in specific scenarios in the first place.'

20. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Current lines of code, as in existing code, the way it's programmed right now.

Obstruct it from taking actions, as in making the AI end its turn prematurely and constant.

In specific scenarios, as in when i place my characters in this spot, this happens.