Adventure completion chests, 1st time vs. 2nd and up

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jarmo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I always thought the Single Player adventure completion chests were different the first time you completed them compared to repeat completions. I tested this today with the level 3 adventure Highway Robbery. I completed it on my old main account and got 1x Common and 3x Uncommon. I think the repeat chests are guaranteed 2x Uncommon. The chest graphic is the brown chest.

Then I completed the same adventure for the first time on a new account. I got 3x Common and 1x Uncommon. The chest graphic is the golden chest but the contents were worse than on the repeat completion! This was a surprise. I always imagined you got better stuff the first time through. Based on this one try the first time completion chest is only guaranteed 1x Uncommon.

Do any of you have data or knowledge that either agrees or disagrees with this experiment?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Whoa. I have this impression that first adventure completion had a guaranteed rare back when I ran through the campaign, but that's probably incorrect...

3. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I thought the chests were "slightly" better the first time you beat the adventures, though I don't think they were as good as the fairy chest or a gold MP chest. I don't recall if they guaranteed any specific level of rewards outside the treasure hunts and Melvin.

4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I remember having that impression during the beta, but I don't remember how I got it. (Maybe it was just the association of Gold SP chests with Gold MP chests...?) Then, after release, I hit a couple of chests that only gave me uncommons and was disabused of the notion.

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Bwahahahahahahah!

That is the ONLY module you could have tested to get that result! Because first time loot always replaces one of the Uncommon+ items, and the Imp-proof Robes are the only guaranteed item that's Common. The only other time you'll EVER see 3 Commons in a SP chest is in the kobold mine modules.

Sir Veza, Flaxative and neoncat like this.
  6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ok, I wondered, just bad luck in choosing the sample, then. I tested the level 4 adventure Ruby Demon Portal yesterday with the new account. After completing it for the first time for that account, I got 2x Common and 2x Uncommon. So I'm guessing there is actually no difference in the 1st and subsequent adventure completion chests aside from the guaranteed first time items. Although now I don't remember whether yesterday's chest was golden or not (which would reveal just a cosmetic difference). Must test another adventure.

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I completed the level 4 adventure Dungeon of the Lizard Priest for the first time on a new account. I got 1x Common, 1x Uncommon and 2x Rare. The chest graphic was golden. Well, that's inconclusive as also the repeat chests sometimes have better stuff in them so it's impossible to tell whether this was a guaranteed 2x Uncommon chest or something better. I guess I must test more.

8. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I completed the level 5 adventure Rescue From Shieldhaven Prison for the first time on a new account. I got 2x Common and 2x Uncommon. The chest graphic was golden. Then I completed the same adventure on an old account (a repeat run). I got 1x Common and 3x Uncommon (this doesn't mean the repeat chest is better, I just randomly happened to get a bit better stuff, we know from long previous experience the repeat chests are guaranteed 2x Uncommon). The chest graphic was brown.

In conclusion we now know that yes, there is a difference between completing an adventure for the first time and later completions *. The difference is this: 1st time the chest is golden. 2nd time and up the chest is brown. The contents are the same. I guess appearances count.

* there is also the difference of guaranteed first time loot in some adventures