Ads in [META]?!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Farbs, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep. I added a banner ad to [META], your premium source of stats, seasons, and player profiles. But hear me out...

I did it for the money. Not for me to have the money, but for you to have the money. I want to see if an ad-supported [META] will earn enough that I can funnel that money back into season prizes. Season cash prizes.

So please, turn off your ad-blocks while I run this experiment and we'll see if you can get paid to play Card Hunter!

2. walroff

walroff Kobold

Don't we have to click on the ad for you to get money?
    If it's only turning off the blocker, i can do that...

3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I believe some Ads pay per view. Obviously those ads will pay less than the per click but the META site probably gets a lot of views.

4. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I think (think!) the google ads pay for both click-through and impressions. As @timeracers stated, the latter pay much less than the former.

Of course, suggesting you click on the ads in order to boost ads-revenue would be against google's policies, so I'm definitely not going to imply you could also do that ;)

Making sure you disable your ad-blocker should ne more than enough. Most of the times, you can add an exception for a single website, rather than disabling the blocking of ads across the board.

5. Grimmace

Grimmace Ogre

Do most browsers have some sort of ad-blocking by default? Im guessing this is independent of the pop up blocker, (which also seems to be rather pick and choose in its effectiveness).I know there was a program Ad-aware and probably other similar things that had some of this ability, but i was under the impression you couldnt do much anyway in regards to banner ads without blocking a site entirely or running some crazy algorithms on your firewall assuming you have the know how.

Incidentally, in a rare twist from an advertisement, i was pleased to be informed whilst visiting the meta that after having Arnie in town for the classic, we are having another fitness expo next month, its like they know me too well :eek:.

Ill click away on it till i get arthritis if it will earn some money for cardhunter, on the proviso that the google swat team doesnt show up at my house and trash the place. (I guess its already a little trashed at times.)

6. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Although I don't exclude some browsers might come with built-in ad-blocking functionality, I doubt that's the case with any the major ones.

Ad-blocking software usually inspects fetched web-pages and remove/alter any html/javascript they successfully identify as advertisement. This includes all sorts of banners.

Pop-up blocking functionality, on the other hand, is already built-in in all the major browsers, but ad-blocking software might offer their own heuristics to accomplish that as well. I'm not really up-to-date on the feature-list of the latest versions of the main ad-blocking tools, but that's pretty much a given.

7. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I am entirely fine with this setup, considering that I'm probably funding five dollars extra to the season prize on my own.

8. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I installed ad-block (i think i installed it?) but that was so long ago that i dont even remember how to "turn off" the ad-block, so if anyone has a simple method to do thus "turning off", please state here.↓↓↓↓↓

9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I'm assuming you're using Chrome?

If that's the case:
    1. Open Chrome's Settings
    2. Select Extensions from the side-menu
    3. Find the entry for AdBlock
    4. Disable it entirely or go in AdBlock's options and do whatever you please

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

If you're in Firefox, you should have a red stop sign labeled ABP in your toolbar. If you click the arrow next to it, you should see three "Disable" options: site, page, everywhere.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  11. BlackVoidDeath

I think its done? - maybe, if not then idk, if it worked... then woo free $$ for the league prizes! :)

12. Farbs

Experiment failed :confused:

After an initial spike the ads settled down to ~$0.08 per day, which isn't going to fund any reasonable monthly cash prize. Ah well. If it couldn't fail it wouldn't have been an experiment.
    I've removed the ads.

CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  13. Perhaps we should have Karen and the other female cast of characters in a revealing outfits beckoning players in the same style as Evony.

BlackVoidDeath and Deepweed like this.
  14. X_Sauron_X

X_Sauron_X Mushroom Warrior

Hi Farbs. What did you spend the cash on? Note I''ve paid for humble bundle but also happy to click on ads.....

15. Farbs

It's $5, so... nothing. It'll probably just sit in the account uncollected forever.

16. BlackVoidDeath

$5? - go buy yourself some pizza, and/or coffee, if you like it :p