Acquiring specific equipment...

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by slowreflex, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I totally agree. Btw. I think that for the 1800s you need even more stuff, which I currently not have. The main problem beeing the Devine Items and also weapons for the priest. You are totally right, the difference is slime and may be just one card per item, but in this rangs a card in the top deck mode makes a huge difference and is often enough the difference between loosing and winning. Like Huetotl's Firebrand vs. St. Olf's Fiery Pike or Cudgel Of Wrath vs. Club Of Wrath. Is there something close to Xlaka's Sacred Bundle? As you said, both players have to play close to perfectly to let this happen.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. slowreflex

slowreflex Goblin Champion

Please explain. I've been playing A LOT for a few weeks and haven not been able to access every card.

If there are copycats of "ideal decks" then that only highlights balance issues quicker. There should not be an ideal deck.

Xayrn likes this.
  3. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

I'm not really sure what you want me to explain. The majority of cards are available on low rarity items, with some exceptions, such as Bless, Volcano, Fireball and Adaptable, and maybe some others. The items might be sub-par, sure, but you can generally access whatever card (provided it's player-accessible, of course).

And no, there are no ideal decks. Perhaps ideal isn't the word I was looking for. However, you still get a lot of copy-cat builds of what is a solid, easy strategy to use. You will see a lot of the same party composition, with many of the same items used. If everyone has access to the same items there would be less reason to try out new builds, at least if you want to stay competitive.

4. slowreflex

Accessing cards doesn't matter. Accessing equipment does. And BTW, if the logic has been that some legendarily are niche and may require more skill then putting those cards on items that are highly accessible as you say, is counter intuitive.

5. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

It might be counter-intuitive, but it's actually something making this game much more enjoyable.

Usually in most games (not only limited to CCG), the higher an items rarity -> the greater its power.

That's far from being the case in CH, although we do have a few instances of epic/legendary items which are the absolute best at whatever they're doing.

That's not the norm though, but since everybody's stressing about playing the builds that do require such and such items, coupled with the fact most gamers are inevitably used to the fact that rarity = power, usually leads to people whining about their inability to be successful because of a lack of rare items.

Again, the system is far from being perfect (nothing some work on items balance couldn't solve, but that takes time and comes with its good share of problems). But it is much fairer lost of games in which the player who can put his hands on the most rare stuff (with $$$ or otherwise) is easily able to stomp most of the opposition without the need to actually get better at the game.

Magic Elves and slowreflex like this.
  6. slowreflex

Agree with all of that and it's all good stuff. But in my case there are some key cards to the strategy I'm trying to do and they happen to be Legendary. It may not be an award winning strategy, but it's something I'd like to play.

Sir Veza likes this.
  7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think I understand. I've run "dream" builds on test, and each was fun the first few runs while I tweaked them. After that, the games were kind of pointless because I already owned everything, but it helped me get the "I wanna do this!" bug out of my system. I don't know how well this would work for others.
    I've advocated expensive crafting systems in the past, but eventually changed my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, so go ahead and suggest. Regardless of what other players say, if you can convince Jon, it's a done deal!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Mr. Magnifico and karadoc like this.
  8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

There are no legendary cards only legendary items. This may seem like an irrelevant point, but cards and items are distinct things (a point Killer74 was driving at earlier) and you'd get your point across a lot better if you were more careful in using that distinction accurately. This is especially the case when discussing a crafting system since items are made up of ("crafted from") cards so there is a very specific relationship between the two things in discussion.

Mr. Magnifico, karadoc and Xayrn like this.
  9. Access to equipment only matters because of access to cards. Equipment only provides a few cards which, once played in the deck, behave as individual cards -- shuffling is at the card level, not equipment level, so e.g. a weapon's cards don't need to be placed anywhere near each other in the deck.

Certain cards are very rare (Adaptable, Mimetic_Crown, Fireball, Cushioning_Armor come to mind) because they're on relatively few, relatively rare items. However, while they're also quite good, their very rarity makes it infeasible to rely on them, because you will have very few copies in your deck in any case making it very possible that the card won't show up at a convenient time, and might not show up at all if it's a very short and aggressive match. IOW, if your plan intrinsically requires Mimetic_Crown and Cushioning_Armor to be in your hand at the same time and your strategy will fall on its face otherwise, you should probably reconsider your plan.

Certain legendaries will stack multiple copies of the same card (it's possible to run a double Vibrant_Pain or Blue_Destruction card for twelve Nimble_Strike or Arcane_Burst) making those more reliable, and some legendaries having a particularly nice combination for the token cost and slot (Skull_of_Savage_Iljin or Raging_Battler come to mind). There are plenty of non-legendary items that also have particularly nice combinations of cards, however.

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Sentient, you don't need to use underscores in card and item names. The card and item forum tags work without them.

11. Oh, I know. But if I'm being pedantic, as is my wont -- they shouldn't work, because the item name as tagged goes directly into the URL without any encoding, and spaces are illegal characters in URLs per RFC 1738. It's just that practically all modern browsers will attempt to "fix" things for you and attempt to figure out what you meant when you give them certain kinds of broken input...

12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Oh, it's more than that. The wiki has redirect pages for all items and cards for when they're spelled with spaces.

Hope this satisfies your urges enough you can sacrifice technical correctness for readability. After all, the actual readers of this forum are human players, not the computers implementing RFC 1738. Which group do you hope to address?

It's no biggie either way, just a suggestion.