2D Contract Art Position Open

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jon, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

2. gmanandy

gmanandy Kobold

Interesting...

Will there be opportunities for fan art/cards/pictures to be added to the game?

3. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I can draw stick figures, granted they are usually wobbly and not very straight, does that count?

4. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

5. SurgeonFish

think you broke your link

6. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

7. SurgeonFish

8. Strumiker

Strumiker Mushroom Warrior

Well, this is the best I can do - so you can count me out of the running :p
    RTULogo.jpg
    raltarbear-small.jpg

skip_intro likes this.
  9. Hopibear

Hopibear Mushroom Warrior

Hhahha I like it !
    A bit of humor and simplicity <3

10. Strumiker

Thanks, I drew that ages ago actually - but haven't pursued any sort of art education since high school... which was over 10 years ago :p I do regret not doing it, probably my real only regret in life. Ah well :) As for the story behind this, Raltar the Unstoppable was just a D&D character my brother played a loooong time ago. He was a gnome with a death wish basically. Always the first to charge into something way above his pay grade. At one point, he was in town with his pet bear ... that he was trying to teach how to yo-yo. Again, this was a long time ago, and that's all I can recall :) I also believe that his group was backed up on the edge of a cliff and was confronted by Verminaard (probably not the best DM ... they were young hehe). He gave them the choice to either join him or die ... and without hesitation, Raltar joined him - thinking Verminaard would be a good lackey down the road.

Just thinking about this stuff, makes me really miss having a group of people to play PnP games with... it's been so long!

11. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

We should investigate a way to get a group going using that new Internet thing I've heard so much about.

12. Strumiker

You must mean this thing? ;)
    ThisJenIsTheInternet.png

SurgeonFish, gmanandy and skip_intro like this.
  13. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

+1 for the IT Crowd pic!

gmanandy likes this.
  14. BFenix

BFenix Kobold

I dont know if the spot is already taken, but I know a great and well known site were LOTS of great artists of all kinds have accounts made and work exposed. It is called Deviant Art. Probably most of you has heard of it, here's a link: http://www.deviantart.com/

Now, you might find tons of artists there with the kind of style your looking for but recently I discovered this guy named Jesse Turner (aka jouste The Drawbarian) and his artwork is simply awesome. Cartoonish and way original!

Here is his portfolio: http://jouste.daportfolio.com/
    And his DA profile: http://jouste.deviantart.com/

Hope I helped out!

Jon likes this.
  15. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I think you just missed the cutoff.

16. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yeah, Deviant Art is cool. We decided to just advertise here to start with since that way we would end up with people who really wanted to work on Card Hunter specifically. Luckily we got plenty of applications that way.

17. Benhell

Benhell Kobold

I hope some of the illustrations come with a different style. Still with the comedic twist but abit more artsy.
    Would look awesome on spells, so you can see a effect of the spell. Maybe the spell drawing can be done in crayon to give it that extra effect.

18. SurgeonFish

As long as the balance is good between card appearances, Maybe 50%-75% serious looking cards and 25%-50% comedic looking cards, all while keeping the art style. Dont want 100% to be comedic because i think that would shy away some players that there might be some inside joke that they are missing instantly turning the game into possibly a cult game. Cult games are good for players but bad for business, as such mass marketed games tend to have no personality but usually have better net profits.

Everything is about balance! Depending on the creators wishes its all up to them how they wana do it. From what it seems though they are doing this for fun as well, putting their humor and personalities into the game so it will probably be right up my alley.