Back in the game after 2 years - need advice for "fun build"

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Sisquinanamook, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

Hi there,

I am back! Well ... semiwise. After a break of two years there was this nagging thought in my mind "what happened to card hunter?".
    So I typed in the url and tadaaa everything seemed the same... although... waaait co-op? leagues? chat in sp? ... what the... a friend list? and then: Steam? oh my god! It was like getting hit by a Zombie_Mob and they all ate my Brains!. I was stunned, overwhelmed and cofused. I mean... the next big thing back then was the first peasant run. ^^

After some time in SP where I realised the hard way why I quit some years ago (looking at you 'Troll Tyrant') I decided to test my luck in MP. What should I say? I was crushed in my first try. And it wasn't even all the new cards which brought my downfall... no it were the changes to the old ones.

I should say something to my playstyle. I enjoy playing fun builds even if they are not the top notch. Back then it were definetly my "Geomancer Dwarfs". A fire sorc. A cold sorc. And a Priest. To control the battlefield was simply awesome. I even tried some vamps once, but lacking the necessary cards I skipped this in a heartbeat.

Back to the Geomancers and my first try in MP after two years... well I knew I was doomed after the enemy came towards me even after I hit him with two encumber effects... should have re-read the card texts maybe. ^^*

Well all the yadda yadda yadda aside:
    It seems my old Build isn't that fun anymore. Which is why I turn to you in seek of an advice:
    Which are the "new" fun builds out there? On what cards should I concentrate? All this radiation stuff feels a bit "awkward" or "disconcerting" to me. Should I give them a try nonetheless?

I tend to play more SP but I'd like to play MP sometimes. Not in the high ranks. Just for fun.
    Any fun builds I can achieve with my old cards (max level 18)? Or should I concentrate on playing SP for now and gathering some new cards before I even think of new fun builds?

Looking forward to your answers. And hi again to those who maybe remember me. ;)

Oh and this:
    Cotton Candy Cadavers!
    Yours
    Sis(quinanamook)

2. As an obvious rule, triad builds are the most fun. The more of the same class you add, the less fun it is for everyone (but the easier it gets).

3. At high ranks, every deck has it counters... so a good deck will be one with versatile cards, i mean you must think about different strategies to follow with the same deck.

4. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Well I wouldnt worry about deck strength for now. I actually wish I was in yor position- almost like playing cardhunter again for the first time. Why not try the nudie run in campaign -http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/challenge-the-nudie-run.5385/.

Otherwise, Sounds like you want a deck that is both fun and competitive and I'm guessing is mostly (controlling) wizards? Accelerate time is a nice new fun card you could build around. And I've seen a few hypnotic beacon wiz control running around.

5. Sisquinanamook

Huh fascinating. I've never approached a triad path, cosz I've always thought it "the easiest way". But I could be wrong there... to be honest it is more than possible that I am wrong. Never was that much of a strategist. "Logical thinking" is like... well let's say we are not best friends this logic and I. ^^

Thats why I believe that I will never ever play at high ranks. I'd even play a looser deck as long as the fun is guaranteed. And hey if I win a game with a fun deck: all the better. ;)

Well it's not even "almost like" it is "exactly like" ... ;)

I've read the term in some other posts but hadn't any idea what exactly it was. This sounds like a lot of fun. I think I'll try this.

Don't have to. They were my first choice back then, cosz the controlling stuff was fun. But I could go with any other combination as well. Back then I would have tried the vamps for example but hadn't the right cards.

Accelerate_Time and Hypnotic_Beacon weren't even on my radar. but especially the Beacon sounds like something that would benefit my style. :D
    BTW: Is there somewhere a >gallery< of all the cards which I can filter/sort? I know there is the item and cards finder in the wiki but the results are displayed in a list and you have to click each single card to see what it is. It would be easier/faster to see them as a card displayed. Maybe it is just a setting I overlooked somewhere?

Thanks for the answers so far.
    I'll have a deeper look into those new expansion cards for now. It seems that there are some hidden jewels. ^^

Yours
    Sis

Christofff likes this.
  6. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

7. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I think you are both kind of right. A real triad build is difficult to build, the items are difficult to get and it is difficult to play, since you dont have much redundancy. But not just because you have any class multiple times it gets easier to build. A three priest or three wiz build is even more demanding on your item pool. But what is easier is the three warriors build, since there are great common and uncommon items for them.

8. visak13

visak13 Ogre

If i were in your place I would try a wall builder with 2 dwarf warriors or dwarf vamps. I haven't tried it myself in the new expansion but back in the pre-EttSC days it was a lot of fun. Use water, smoke and the disruptive gun (the one with accelerate time just as a trick up your sleeve...reveals attack cards on/kills [damage cannot be prevented by armor] dwarfs in desperate situations ). Also some winds of war (not gusts coz gusts are too short range) if you are able to. I hope this helps. I plan to run it myself as i am tired of laser blocks and war crys and all the non predictable stuff people are coming up now a days while ignoring movement. Use forceful robes for a wizard and use that one forcefield wisely against volcano builds.

TL;DR: brain over brawn if you lack it...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I've been out of MP so long I probably don't have any good advice, but when in doubt I go with a frenzy priest and 2 warriors.
    Mostly, I just wanted to say it's great to see you back, Sisquinanamook! :cool:

Sisquinanamook likes this.
  10. Do you enjoy randomness and chaos, or do you prefer predictability and consistency?

Radiation leans heavily towards the former. When your priest slings a radiation bomb and gives a random handicap to everybody in a 5x5 area (well, with line of site to center); or when your priest throws down radiation spray and now there are three tiles (only one of which that you specifically chose, the others being random!) that will do light damage and randomly handicap anybody on or adjacent to them -- maybe you immobilize an enemy with Trip, drastically impair his attacks with Large Weapon, perhaps somebody gets Vulnerable or Vegetable Parts and now takes slightly more damage per attack... or maybe he's now a walking bomb that'll do a whopping 18 acid damage in a 5x5 area if anybody kills him because he rolled Festering Guts.

Ditto for the genetic-engineering cards. Maybe you get boosts that are completely useless for the current situation (e.g. "Adapted to Electricity" isn't very useful if your opponent has no wizard!), maybe you roll "Invisibility" and that character can't be directly targeted for a couple of turns.

If you want more consistency... probably best to avoid the radiation and genetic fun and stick with the nimbuses, frenzies, purges, unholy energies, and the like.

11. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

No comment on MP since I don't play that, but Expedition to the Sky Citadel is actually a lot* easier than the level 18 stuff from AotA. So if you haven't tried that yet, you might want to give it a whirl.

*Maybe not a huge lot, but enough that it goes from AotA's "ehh I guess I can win but it is as much fun as hitting a wall with my head 100 times" to enjoyable challenge. YMMV.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  12. Sisquinanamook

Aaaw how nice of you :)

Then I stick to the latter I think. Randomness is not my preferred choice... I tried a Chaos Mage in D&D once... never ever again ^.^

In SinglePlayer I'm stuck with my 3 Dwarfs (Wiz/Wiz/Priest) right now, cosz' they are the only ones on level 18. Plus they are heavily equipped with control cards. In "Troll Tyrant" it really feels like hitting a wall a 100 times. That's why I decided to level my 3 Humans. That way I have more alternatives to choose from. Also I'll gather some more loot. So maybe when they hit 18 I have some decent cards to build another deck.
    Meanwhile I'll try what you said and go with the new adventures :)

On the MP Part: I am experimenting right now with roots and walls. Until now it was fruitless. ^^ But there are some other ideas floating in my mind and those nude challenges and the leveling of my lower characters are perfect to play around with all the old cards and their changes. I think I should go one step back and first and foremost try to understand the "new" card hunter. When I get that right, than I jump back into MP. :cool:

So far: Thanks for the advice and nice words.
    Seeya ingame and inchat.
    Yours
    Sis :p

Sir Veza likes this.