Brewing with Peon

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by peonprop, Mar 5, 2015.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

After reviewing items daily over the past few months I keep coming across the same awkward situation. A card comes up that I have pegged as bad but have little to no actual experience with. Is this card actual garbage or a diamond in the rough? Well wonder no more. I am going to pick 1 not commonly played card each week and try to break it in half or at the very least bend it a little. I will iron out the kinks as I play and post the final build the following week. I am open to suggestions and ideas for future cards to work with. Anything is fair game. Weird cards, cards nerfed to heck, as long as it doesn't see the light of day and isn't plain awful like Little Zap I am willing to try out those cards so that you don't have to.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Gingrich Yurr, direndai, CT5 and 5 others like this.
  2. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I request a team about inspiring presence.

3. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I've had moderate success with Trained Flexibility, usually giving Parry and/or Strong Hack to another character.

For your next adventure: I'd like to see a build with at least two priests running Oak Roots.

4. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

For the inaugural outing for what I hope will be a long-running series, I am going with Advanced Battlefield Training. I keep on calling it card disadvantage but it's not card disadvantage if your target is dead. This is what I'll be starting with.

Lorgav
    Level 21 Human Warrior

Growler
    Level 20 Human Warrior

Winsla
    Level 20 Human Warrior

The basic premise of the deck is to assemble a Feinting Strike + 2x All Out Attacks though just one copy of All Out Attack should be enough to severely cripple anybody.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

1) Reading the title, I thought you were gonna post about you brewing beer... me = disappoint
    2) Awesome idea, tons of cards in CH are far too quickly judged as useless/sub-par, but hold much potential.
    3) I suggest a build revolving around Cold Spells. Cause, you know, almost nobody use those nowadays.

Getorix, Flaxative and peonprop like this.
  6. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Path of Knives

7. Accent

Accent Hydra

I really think there's a viable build somewhere with an Entangling Roots priest and a lava wizard.

8. Lord Feleran

I don't know about you all but if I hear the word "viable", then I understand that "probability that it is the best possible build is > 0".
    Also, do Battlefield Trainings still reveal what cards are being transferred?

9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I might be wrong, but I think it has been changed to not reveal transferred cards

10. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

11. Accent

Accent Hydra

12. Lord Feleran

I can smell a combo incoming :p

13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Triple combo?!?!

Flaxative and CT5 like this.
  14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Correct, the Battlefield Training cards have been changed as follows since game launch:
    • both are range 6
    • both are cantrip
    • neither reveals the cards transferred

15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I am currently 7-3 with the build. There have been multiple Advanced Battlefield Training assisted kills. Best one was a 38 point death blow (Feinting Strike + 2x All Out Attacks + Blind Rage) on a dwarf warrior through 2 Defender's Blocks. Worst kill attempt was a similar attack on an elf warrior with a hidden Jump Back. Control wizards are a problem so I may need to use new boots.

Fifjunior7, CT5, Flaxative and 2 others like this.
  16. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Another 10 games another 7-3 record. I am having trouble against wizards. In addition to control wizards, Combustible can really hurt against burning wizards and burst wizards in particular can pressure me into charging in prematurely. I can't afford to wait for the full combo since Blind Rage is often active and the cards I want to hold on to are all attacks. Combined with the ability to hit me in cover and I'm in the red fast. I'm not sure what I can change without diluting the combo. I will try switching out the shields. Since I'm going all in on attacks I don't really need to out attrition my opponents. Going to miss those Parrying Bucklers. With the token I can either put it towards Sparkling Cloth or Immovable boots or switch out Blazing Shortswords for Maquah Of Ancient Blood. The former will give me a little more game against wizards and the latter will improve the odds of drawing a hard to block attack for the combo while getting rid of Combustible. Any suggestions?

17. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

If wizards are the main problem, then boots seem like the way to go? Sparkling seems good as it'll help you close the gap -> maybe you can minimize Combustible damage by dropping a wizard. You can also compromise and go Maquah of Ancient Blood + Possessed Shoes/Goat Boots for no Combustible and Immovable. I'm not as concerned about Maquah raising your hard-to-block attack count because your Dash, Team!'s can let you gang-up and surround one guy and whack them to death the old-fashioned way.

Flaxative likes this.
  18. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

If you're worried about Combustible, then get it out of your deck by all means. Fire wizards (be it of the burst variety or not) are very common in the current meta, so I can see drawing combustible being a big problem.

Anyway, a 70% winrate is extremely good no matter the way you putt it. If you're worried about giving up the parrying buckler, you might also opt for a slightly worse token-free weapon instead. Unbalanced Doloire or Nifty Halberd, for instance, are pretty cool for their tokens cost, and even a Weak Chop can be put to good use in a deck featuring a good dose of Blind Rage.

Edit: also since Mind Srinker is in DD, I suggest a Mind Worm build for your brewing endeavors

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Flaxative likes this.
  19. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

You must think I have a hoard of gold to fritter away. Well I do...because I don't buy stuff like Mindshrinker. I guess I'll be buying the awful legendaries so you don't have to too.

karadoc, Foz, Youbo and 5 others like this.
  20. SirSrsly

SirSrsly Lizardman Priest

I've been trying an Entanglecano deck for the past week using two draw priests with Oak Roots and a mage with a Mordecai's and a Blazing Sparks. It works great when it works, but if a deck is too fast before I draw the Entangles or there are mages, my deck dies a slow death. Doesn't help that moves like Sprint Team and Dash Team go thru Entangle.

As for underused cards-- I'd like to see how you would center a deck around the Whirlwinds.