There's no such thing, as too much Card Hunter.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by DunDunDun, Jun 3, 2015.

1. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Human Priest. Elven Warrior. Dwarven Wizard.
    Human Wizard. Elven Priest. Dwarven Fighter.
    Human Warrior. Elven Wizard. Dwarven Priest.

As you all know [because you pay SUPER close attention to every idle comment I make on the forums], in the first month of CH gameplay, I ran three parties through the campaign.

Well, following that, I made parties based around the 3x racial requirements:
    (Elven Wizardx2, Dwarven Warriorx2, Human Priestx2- though I forget the precise combinations I used.)

Well, geeze. Now I had one of each type, plus all I needed for Quests.
    What was I to do?
    Well, obviously, proceed with getting 3x of every OTHER combination.

SO.
    My very most recent party (Dwarf Priest, Human Warriorx2) is actually a bit special [and not just for the lack of tree-huggers].

See.. I'm not using power tokens, at all.
    At first, it started as a way to run Loot Fairy with less effort of swap-ins/swap-outs/saveslots.

After all, my last few parties almost entirely leveled from loot fairy hits, or searches, so keeping in mind my current playstyle, this seemed 'easiest'.

Well, no, not exactly. As I proceeded through the campaign, it definitely became more challenging to maintain a no-tokens approach, starting to demand strong tactics [and luck] around the level 13 quests.

And I loved it.
    It's the most fun I've had with the campaign since that first month.

For those of you looking for a bit of a pick-up in your play [and who haven't already tried this/don't dislike playing PvE], I highly suggest you try it.

Of course, you could increase the challenge further and use all elven non-vampires, non-maneuverability builds;
    But that might be a bit too extreme of a challenge. :p

2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I ran the campaign with 3 dwarf priests, but I never tried doing the whole thing tokenless. It sounds interesting, but painful.

Flaxative likes this.
  3. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

There's also the Nudie Run for those that seek even more challenge.

ArnieBear and Flaxative like this.
  4. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Well, you've a lot better gear than you did your first campaign run [at least, in theory]. So the early quests are a lot easier- even mid-level quests like Cockroaches are quite a bit easier. But once you get to higher level quests, it's not so much the lack of power cards that hurts you [though it does], but the fact that your deck has [more] weaker cards, or even handicap cards in it [than a tokened character is likely to have (unless you're running a lot of potent handicap items)].

So in a sense, you're playing around your bad cards, wanting to keep your characters positioned so they can duck and cover as needed, when their next pull might be an Unreliable Block and a 3 damage Stab card- or something more painful.

It's worth noting I never change loadouts for specific maps, either (though I do tweak it regularly to make it perform better); so making the characters both synergized to each other, AND versatile/adaptable, is key.

Oh hey, we used to do that in DDO all the time, back in the day. That's just wacky good fun;
    Though in this specific game, I imagine it'd require a whole lot of grinding maps for gear after a certain point :p

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

This is certainly worth noting. I take it you run a mix of damage types to deal with binary (Only Bones, Amorphous Body, etc.) armor, and the luck aspect would include drawing something effective in the current circumstance.
    Would you post your build? I'd really like to see what you've come up with.

6. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

I don't see how you can beat the level 18 adventures without power tokens.
    I'd probably go 3x dwarf vampire if I was going to try this, but that means you don't have many interesting equipment choices.

7. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Been waiting for the next expansion to redeem my BE [Been waiting.. a while now :p], so I don't actually have any unlockable quests. So I honestly don't know how they'd fare in the famed level 18 expansion content :)
    I'll let you know after the expansion hits- and if I'm lucky, maybe the new content and higher level cap will make it easier on me ;D

I run Superb Guidance (Block, Soldierx2, Unreilable Block) on both my warriors, then stock them up on armor and block items. One is specced for crushing, the other for chops (though they both have a very small handful of alternate attacks, eg, step attacks for the crusher). If I'm fighting a stage that exclusively presents a specific damage block, I end up using the warrior who can't damage as a meatshield, at least long enough to get my other two units into better positions.
    My priest is an all-around, alternating damage, buffing, healing, etc; and makes a good buffer between the two warriors- and in some cases, manages the usual hit-and-run-priest-win, but generally serves as further buffer to the damage-dealing warrior relevant to that stage.

In more versatile stages, I usually don't have too much difficulty, so long as I play for chokepoints, blocking terrain, and alternating my lead unit out as they get low on HP.
    I've won a lot of maps with just one unit at minimum HP :p

Though, I've won a surprising number with all 3 units alive, even on quests at 2 levels higher than the party level, so it's been an interesting blend. Some stages are definitely way more challenging than others, though sometimes, it all boils down to luck.

Sometimes they'll actually do better at a stage than certain tokened parties did, though I'm not sure if that's just luck at work, or the fact that I've got a much broader range of items to gear up with, now.

AFAIK there's no quick way to copy builds, so give me a bit to try and copy that down for you.

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

In the keep, open the CH console (press F1 twice to open and see the window, or F2 once for the same effect), and type or paste:
    partyanddecksbbcode
    - This will copy the item and card list for the current party to the clipboard in a format for pasting directly into a forum post.
    - or -
    partybbcode
    - Will do the same thing, but only list the items.
    Typing cls will clear the screen, and typing help will bring up alist of all available commands. (There is some neat stuff in there.)
    When you're done, press F1 to close the console.
    I hope you read this before you do more work than necessary. :)

ArnieBear and Jarmo like this.
  9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

F2? What?! You've blown my mind. After all this time I learn this... Makes me wonder what else I don't know about Card Hunter...

Thanks for the info, Veza!

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

... same. And I work on the game. :oops:

Bandreus likes this.
  11. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

^More accurate?

[ Which isn't to say, we're not all grateful for your hard work. ;) ]

A'right, Veza, I can do that next time I log on. Just keep in mind I've a pretty small selection of low level items [I mostly ran the level 17s for any sort of farming], so it may not be all that noteworthy a setup. :oops:

SlowComputer likes this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

No worries. A small selection is better for new players. The concept and execution are the most interesting parts. I've been working on a tokenless build since you posted this (pretty 'meh', so far), and I'd like to see how it compares to yours.
    When the save slots increased to 100 I started trying to really optimize my builds for speed on a map by map basis, which is a diametrically opposite approach. I'll probably still primarily opt for speed, but I think running tokenless for a while would improve my playing skills.

13. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Sorry about the wait; working new things in to my habits can take a while.
    Party hasn't been tweaked at all since the start of the thread, though, so enjoy it in its full awkward moments.

Interesting fact, I have a good handful of 0 token legendaries I'm not using specifically 'cause they don't work as synergistically :)
    Hand of Melvelous, though, is just so useful :X

Jib
    Level 14 Human Warrior

Squid
    Level 14 Human Warrior

Quid
    Level 14 Dwarf Priest

Pawndawan, Bandreus and Sir Veza like this.
  14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Thanks! It's a fun build, and different from what I was trying. (Which is a good thing, as I tend to get in a rut.) It feels kind of like the nudie run, in a way. I'm doing well so far, but I haven't taken it into the slime levels yet. I don't plan to tweak anything unless (until) I get seriously stuck.

DunDunDun likes this.
  15. ArnieBear

ArnieBear War Monkey

This is a great idea as I love the PvE side, and having not done a complete tokenless campaign I thought I would give this a try, anything to extend the single play fun!!.

Having now completed all bar the lvl 18 missions with a tokenless party I thought I would just add how interesting/fun I also found it, and actually if the devs wanted to this concept would be a good additional “quest” type for each module to add SP longevity.

The party I went with was as follows:-

Kazaddeb
    Level 20 Dwarf Priest

Izorbar
    Level 19 Dwarf Priest

Ginnoligav
    Level 18 Human Wizard

Most missions were surprising easy with this party, much to my surprise, and some of the card synergy between blind rage, frenzy aura and sap attacks was amazing to behold!! I thought this would be a struggle but there wasn’t really a mission I ever felt this party couldn’t complete.

In total most missions were passed first time (without even any replayed modules), only 4 missions needed 1 module replayed once (Descent to core first module, Citrine demon portal first module, black oaken heart first module and cliffs of wyverns fourth module), while 2 missions needed 1 module replayed twice (garnet demon portal fifth module and lair of yellow dragon third module).

In conclusion thanks to DunDunDun for recommending this, and I would advise fellow PvE enthusiasts to give it a go – next up for me will be a “nudie” challenge then maybe try to see how far a solo adventurer can go, or maybe a peasant equipment party campaign challenge!!

Sir Veza and DunDunDun like this.
  16. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Wow, but some of those higher level treasure hunts and some of the higher level Quest objectives, are just insane to attempt with a two-warrior one-priest no-token party.

Which doesn't necessarily mean impossible, but does involve a lot of terrain use, lucky draws, and hoping the priest survives long enough to be able to solo-vampire the end :X

I get the feeling just adding a mage would help a lot, especially given all the swarm maps I'm encountering in some treasure hunts. X_X