Rate my Randimar's Rarities

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Will-, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Tragus

Tragus Kobold

The only item that catches my eye this week is a legendary divine weapon, Chalchu's Hammer. 1 minor token, 2 unnerving strikes, 2 consuming spears, and 2 sapping spears. It looks good , but I don't think its worth 2500 gold. I have 4000 gold right now. I'm tempted to buy it because the RNG seems to like to give me divine items, and I have almost all good divine items (mage and warrior are a different matter) except this one. I might be tempted to bring my all vamp team back, but am doubtful because the mass frenzy nerf really hurt full vamp teams.

Oh, and I have Painful Flashstaff also, but that looks not worth the gold.

2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

The hammer is a nice item, but not necessarily a must have. Based on your gold reserves I would probably only buy it if you had a specific build in mind for it. The flashstaff on the other hand is one of my most used items in the upper half of SP (just used it against Tvericus today). It doesn't have much use in MP, but in SP it is one of the higher wizard damage items w/o a major token and with monster groups that draw large fistfuls of cards punishing bolt can often be a one hit kill, while flash of agony can wear down whole mobs. I have 1 and would buy a 2nd if I saw it.

3. Tragus

Tragus Kobold

Thanks Scarponi. Every time I see your name I think of that Italian ice cream, Spumoni. So Painful Flashstaff is actually a good buy. Im glad I asked, because I would have definitely skipped it.

4. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

i dont think its that great because its a legendary and thats 2500 gold, so i recomend the Staff Of Pain as an epic bypass (see what i did there) :p

j3st3ri likes this.
  5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Good call, Staff of Pain is definitely an adequate substitute if gold is tight and I use it often as well, but the the Flashstaff is my go-to when playing sub/limited-major token territory.

6. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Orc Soldier

7. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Vibrant Pain all the way, hands down, no question etc etc.

Seriously, you don't need to think twice. None of the other items you're considering are even close in terms of power and sexiness.
    If you really wanted another one of the items listed, then probably Magma Scepter for farming (and Volcano can be funny in MP too).

Flaxative likes this.
  8. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If you play a lot of MP, Vibrant Pain is the obvious choice. For SP players, not so much.
    Bleneth's Frenzy Charm is good, but I wouldn't shell out 2500 gp for one. I'd wait for the medallion (great for SP & MP) or skull (best for MP). The charm isn't enough of a step up from Shuddering Relic to justify the expense, IMO. YMMV.
    Magma Scepter is always fun.

Foz likes this.
  10. BlackVoidDeath

Ok i got some great legendarys today but i need advice on what to buy. Note - i didnt buy the Skull from last week because i didnt think i was gonna use it anyway, and... kind of... forgot... :p

So my Leg'z are:
    Azgul's Orb
    Barnum's Staff
    Bleneth's Frenzy Charm
    Focused Thinker
    Ring Of Majestic Healing
    Robes Of The White Wylla

Epics:
    Black Walnut Staff
    Booming Ring - no question buying right now
    Staff Of The Inferno

I have 8000 gold - what should i buy? (will have 12500 at the end of week)
    Edit: forgot to add links

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I'm guessing from your weekly gp income you farm the campaign. If you do, you may already have a good Firestorm build. Unless you already have 12 legendary FS items, Azgul's Orb is worth buying. Black Walnut Staff may be a good buy depending upon how you're fixed for FS staves. Wym's Lavastaff beats it hands-down for the same token cost. Mullik's Blisterstaff is not quite as good, but is tokenless. If you're short on FS staves, Black Walnut Staff is definitely worth buying.
    Barnum's Staff is good (but not the best) for a more MP style fire mage.
    Staff Of The Inferno can usually be farmed pretty easily if you grind L2 Caverns for 30 minutes a day.
    Bleneth's Frenzy Charm, for me, isn't worth the money, but is worth playing if you can farm it.
    Focused Thinker is a very niche item. It can work very well if: (A) you build around it, and (B) It shows up when you need it. If you don't want to put the work into it, don't waste your money.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  12. Jezterscap

Jezterscap Lizardman Priest

Azguls orb and barnums staff I think are BIS for burn wiz.
    Bleneths charm is nice too.
    Never seen focused thinker before, seems nice to thin your deck and pass priority.

13. Z__Y

Z__Y Kobold

just bought my 1st aegis from randimar. Still have 18k gold left ( nothing to buy in store for the past 3 weeks)
    wondering if the following are worth buying:

2nd Blue Destruction ( I have 4 firegod, 2 barnum, 1 ember, 1 blue d, 1 red flame, 2 misanthrope )
    2nd Hand of Melvelous
    Troll's Ire
    Perfect Stoutness

14. BlackVoidDeath

would be nice if you linked these items to the wiki but the BD is great and the Hand is good too, never seen the other 2 so cant say if they are good or not.
    Edit: just got Troll's Ire from an MP chest and... i think its really good :D - AND its only (minortoken)(minortoken) cost :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  15. BlackVoidDeath

nope - all from MP and LF and Bandit
    nope - i dont have a farming build, though would be nice if you gave me advice on making one :)
    what does it mean?
    another build idea? - never heard of using it specificity for a build

but thanks for the advice :D

16. There are some good ideas in this thread. For maximum impact, you may wish to customize a farming build for each level or set of levels with the same token allowance (and for the monsters that you'll be facing in those levels), though you can try to make builds that apply more broadly across levels. Usually you're going to use dwarves, since your team doesn't need to have a ton of mobility but does need to have enough health to absorb some Firestorm damage safely. (I like to use Superb Ferocity for my minor-token racial skill, since Dwarven Battle Cry is great and it's surprising how often Charge comes in handy, though I may be in the minority on that one. If and when you can spare a major token, Solid Rock is a popular choice.)

For your basic low-level FS (<--Firestorm) build, you simply want to cram in the highest percentage of Firestorm that your selection of staves, arcane items, and hopefully Firehide Robes will allow. Some folks like to farm even certain high levels with one or two level 4 wizards that never level up by finishing an adventure: they don't have as many arcane item or staff slots to fill, so it's a clever way of maximizing your FS yield when you're not drowning in those items.

At the same time, there are plenty of mid- and high-level adventures where FS alone will no longer cut it, and you'll want to use your tokens to apply burning damage less indiscriminately: look for Volcano, Ember Burst, Flame Jet, Glob Of Flame, and Instant Burn. Akon's Amulet is a good choice when the monsters have armor, and almost a necessity when that armor is Resistant Hide.

Another key decision is whether you go with three FS/Volcano/targeted burning wizards, or two plus a support priest who does some combination of healing, Impenetrable Nimbus, Savage Curse, and maaaybe the occasional Mass Frenzy now that it buffs magic. I don't think there's a "right" answer to this and have used most of these combinations to good effect, so it really comes down to what style of play you prefer. Have fun!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Sir Veza and BlackVoidDeath like this.
  17. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

In SP, I love Troll's Ire; There's plenty of opponents with annoying armor cards, before you're able to equip any weapons that require major power tokens.

18. Z__Y

Z__Y Kobold

so troll's ire is more of a SP item than MP item?

19. BlackVoidDeath

I am going to use mine in MP idk about you but thats on you to decide

20. Foz

Foz Lizardman Priest

Probably depends on your other item options for MP, and how you feel about Blind Rage. You will probably need to acquire a lot of step attacks on your other two weapons to make a solid build, which for me would mean either I take Troll's Ire or I take The Strongarm - I don't see that you could take both without sacrificing too much mobility, unless maybe your third weapon is Vibrant Pain. Not saying that's necessarily a great setup, but it's about the only way I could see to fix your movement deficit in one item. If your tokenless options aren't that appealing, its value probably goes up since it could easily be your only no-step weapon and has respectable damage, some tech, and deck thinning.