Farming gold and items.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Yaxchilan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Yaxchilan

Yaxchilan Kobold

Heya, new to the forums, really like the game.
    I have two questions though that I'd like answered.
    I've searched and found some information but I'm not sure what's outdated and what's not.

1. What's the best way to farm gold? Any decks that are ideal so that I know what to aim for?

2. What's the best way to farm epic/legendary items? and again, what decks would I need?

Thanks a lot.

2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

For both: Play multi-player ranked and enter as many leagues as possible. Build a deck you enjoy and can play quickly as you'll play more games in both cases.

Bandreus and CT5 like this.
  3. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Items with Volcano can make farming certain single player maps pretty fast and Firestorm can be great on many as well.
    Overall, multiplayer is where it's at, especially leagues. Assuming you win half your games (and you should as your rating stabilizes) you will get a guaranteed epic in 12 games, but most likely get at least two.
    Leagues count for this and give you more chests on top of that.

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

This is good advice.

But if you're like me and don't care for MP, here's how to farm SP:
    1. Hit the Loot Fairy twice a day.
    2. Between the time the Loot Fairy moves and the adventures reset, complete as many adventures as you can.
    3. Between reset and LF move find a module where you can complete the first maps very quickly, and do those maps over and over without completing the module.
    To avoid finishing a module, click "Return to Map", click another location, click "Yes", then click the original location before your party reaches the new location.

Sir Veza likes this.
  5. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

This is roughly in order of return on time investment:
    1. Enter every fixed deck you can (Graveyard Gambol, Monster Hunt, etc.) and quick draw league and play to completion. Say you win 3 of 4 matches and place first in your pod = one purple, four gold and a brown chest for four games played. If you win 0 of 4, you still get three gold chests.
    2. Enter every constructed deck league but don't play them until you have a decent bank of cards = three gold chests.
    3. Do the two loot fairy runs a day.
    4. Best ROI from here is in MP (SP farmers will undoubtedly disagree).
    5. A simple, fast build for farming most SP levels is 2 x frenzy dwarf vampires + 1 x support (wizard for armor removal, priest for more Mass Frenzy, etc). Don't use it against the ranged attack modules like the Demon Portals. Basically you're trading hits and the rounds play very quickly.

6. Questor

Questor Ogre

What is also useful is to replay all adventures up to level 8. That can be done with a basic Firestom build. First you need to get the items for that but after you got them your daily grind will be a lot easier. For now you should replay the low level adventures as far as you want but finish all at least to level 4, that way you get the basic but very good rare and epic items for a Firestorm build.

7. Yaxchilan

Yaxchilan Kobold

So many informative responses... thank you guys very much!

I love multiplayer.. I've dabbled a bit but I don't think I have very good cards yet :)
    Think I'll try and get a few nice cards first.

A few other questions that have sprang up, I apologize for the spam:

1. Does fixed deck mean you are given a ready deck? So your cards are irrelevant (which would be a good thing for me at this point)
    2. Is there any form of drafting tourney in CardHunter? Like in Magic The Gathering?
    3. Does anyone have an example firestorm or volcano deck for farming?
    4. I read somewhere that kobold mines is a good place to SP farm? I dislike grinding so I'll probably not do it very long, just wanted to see how it works.
    5. I'm about to buy some lvl10 heroes, should I get 3 dwarf wizards to farm low level adventures?
    6. How do I get vampires?

thanks again

8. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Not spam at all.
    Yes and yes.
    The closest we have are quickdraw leagues but it's not exactly the same.
    Put in as many FS/Volcano as possible. Rest of the cards should focus on drawing more cards.
    They were the best place until an update not long ago which removed the good drops from there.
    Why not. I would level them to lvl 10 myself but that's just me.
    "Vampires" are priests that use many draining attacks. There are some good combos with Talented Healer like draining attacks in a row or Healing Dash + draining attacks.

9. Yaxchilan

Yaxchilan Kobold

Thanks for the fast response!

Ah ok. I don't seem to have any volcano cards but I do have some firestorm cards.

So any other place which is good now? Or should I just wonder around and do a variety of adventures looking for the hidden bandit as well (which I just found out about).

Oh really? I don't mind doing that actually... what's the difference other than they being cheaper to buy?

Ah I see, thanks!

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

An added note for firestorm farming, when LF said focus on drawing cards with your other cards, keep in mind that every trait (even bad ones) will draw another card to replace itself in your hand.

Places to farm: Whatever adventures you like, whichever ones you can complete the fastest are the ones that will be most profitable to you. No particular adventure drops more gold than others now.

Buying new characters: the only difference is the price you pay, I always buy level 1.

One last note on MP: I understand the desire to get better cards first, but since in reality better cards will just move you up the ranking ladder faster to play against better competition, it doesn't actually improve your farming outcome. If you're interested in maxing your career stats by all means wait, but if you just want loot, there's no need. Either way, have fun!

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Edit: Yeah, what Scarponi said!

All SP adventures give about the same rarity/type of loot now. If you want to spend some time grinding (I know not everyone does), pick the adventure where you can complete the first levels fastest with the build you currently have. When I started, I worked Dungeon of the Lizard Priest because I had good range 2 attacks. Go with what works for you. Grinding can build your collection as well as your playing & deckbuilding skills. Just don't do it to the point where you burn out.
    If you get the right items (Staff Of The Misanthrope, Staff Of The Inferno), you may want to use some level 1 or 4 (respectively) dwarves for farming, and never level them up.

No other difference unless you need a low level.

Farming for gold or items is mostly about how well you can use what you have in the time you have available, and most players end up developing their own techniques. But searching the [Farming] threads is always a good starting point. Welcome Yaxchilan, and Good Hunting!

12. doog37

doog37 Hydra

General advice... go through the campaign, it will not be the best loot for the time, but it's fun and the story is enjoyable. You will be forced to play different styles (to an extent) remember the AI is a little dumb (especially when it comes to Impen. Nimbus), but there is no need to finish it at any specific rate, but a low pressure environment to learn the game mechanics and see how different cards work.
    Not all Epic and Legendaries are great, plenty of common/uncommon/rare items are desirable. For example Volcano is only found on 1 rare item, the rest are Epic+ items. I played for 6+ months without ever getting an item with Volcano (the rare item didn't exist when I started it is part of the expansion set) on it. What I am trying to say is don't focus on what you want use what you have, because you can get very frustrated search for a particular item (read about Vibrant Pain pre-balance).
    I personally have earned a lot of my top legendary items by buying them. Getting high rarity treasure (not playable but sell for much higher than other items) helps a lot. The amount of Legendary items for sale is much higher than it used to be so gold has become much more valuable, but usually the 50gp for leagues is well worth it (especially when you have a limited collection).
    But the rest of the advice here is good, MP chests are the best payout, leagues are great even if you don't get the chance to play in them (although I would recommend you try when you can) and SP farming is a grind, but check the location of the Loot Fairy especially once you've cleared most of the levels.

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Yaxchilan

Yaxchilan Kobold

Lots of great advice.
    Thanks a lot.

There's quite a lot of variety in this game and I'm trying to get to grips with it :)

Sir Veza likes this.
  14. Yaxchilan

Yaxchilan Kobold

Ok so I've been slowly playing a few hours daily and have managed to make a really nice firestorm deck (WWP) that I use to go through 1-6 & 7-10.

It kind of struggles after that though.

Does anyone have any example decks they use to farm adventures after that?
    It doesn't have to be firestorm deck just something that works well so I have something to work towards.

15. There are a few decks in the farming forum that might help. One that I'd recommend checking out would be Jarmo's Salt Shaker, especially if you're starting with low-level burning wizards. He designed it with level 17 in mind, but the two wizards are both level 4, so only the support priest needs to be modified based on the level you're farming. Of course, this also means that you don't want to be finishing adventures with it--but the wizards don't HAVE to stay at level 4, especially if you already have the items for a good Firestorm deck. Also, there are only a few legendaries (the FS items), and the epics generally have reasonable substitutes at rare or less. Good luck!

Sir Veza likes this.
  16. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

This is my LVL 5-7 (for lvl7 I add some Akon's Amulets)

That Misanthrope staff is not needed .. it's a test only .. put whatever there, Staff of the Inferno

For higher levels I add more Volcanos, some Runestone.
    Bertha's Big Clogs and Kerrick's Steel Boots are game winners .. as Reliable Mail is almost like Resistant Hide, you receive only 2dmg
    from Firestorm.. so you can spam them as much as you want..

Generally there are bunch of ways to make good decks, no card is written in stone.
    But most important are Resistant Hide + Reliable Mail + Firestorm + Volcano + some control (teleport, gusts of war etc.. )

Also some Warrior Warrior Priest were ok around lvl 10-12 .. but you need some Blazing Shorswords for warriors and Mass Frenzy for priest

Etc..

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  17. Yaxchilan

Yaxchilan Kobold

A lot of great info.
    Thanks a lot!

Sir Veza likes this.