[Feedback & Suggestion] Quickdraw

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Arcanan, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Arcanan

Arcanan Kobold

Hey guys I finally overcame my lasiness about the forum account because I want to be part of this community more than by just typing on the lobby ;)

So, about Quickdraw here what came to my mind :

1- A character shouldn't be able to draw 2 time the same cards during the selecting phase

It can became real unbalanced when a mage is getting 2 flash flood or a priest getting multiple Inspiraion with altruism to cycle his own deck and get twice time his golden card in a round.

2. There should be some fixed cards with every class/race character.

Two reasons to this suggestion, first is, again, stop priest to cycle there deck in order to get there golden card twice in a round. Second is to lower the luck involvment and add more tactics into the fights.

I see nothing else to add about this league for now and I really love it as many of us, the deckbuilding component is a real cool feature and you should continue digging into this.

Thanks for the great works !

Sir Veza likes this.
  2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Welcome to the Forum, Arcanan!

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I like this. Which cards would you suggest? Choosing balanced racial cards will be hard.

4. Arcanan

Arcanan Kobold

Thanks sir Veza :)

I know Kalin this is why I haven't suggested anything yet cause we have to think about it together ^^"
    Lets give it a try with 5 cards :

Every warrior get : 1 Lunging Hack,1 Clumsy shop, 1 Bludgeon (or Stab ?), 1 Pen.cut and 1 Block (overpowered ?)

Wizards get : 1 Pen. bolt, 1 Force bolt, 1 Maze, 1 Zap and 1 ... I don't know here, hesitate to put 1 Block on each class but feels like luck relying ....

Priest would have : 1 Simple Bash, 1 Simple Strike, 1 Bad luck, 1 Misguided healing and .... Shuffles ?

1 Shuffles for everyone ?

Also, an other idea would be that you can choose between fixed sets after deckbuilding your character in order to choose tactics oriented, of course your ennemy would see it and it will give important information about your strategy and he could react in deckbuilding his next character, like fire/electricity or arcane set for mage etc ...

The real problem with those sets would be a healing set of priest with altruism ...

I'm not a veteran arround so anyone who want to contribute here is welcome !

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. UiA

UiA Ogre

So are you suggesting there should be no/very limited choice in quickdraw? Almost looks like you're proposing an entire new "basic fixed deck" mode. Honestly I really like the format as it stands, consider you have a choice between 63 cards everytime, taking away the variety is like taking away the appeal of quickdraw to me.

6. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I agree, adding fixed cards starts to foundationally depart from what makes quick draw unique. Something like what Phaselock proposes could potentially find a place if a more fixed setup appeals to some people, but I think it's by nature a different mode of play, not something that should be a modification to quick draw.

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If enough people find it appealing, it could be fleshed out and become the basis of yet another league.

9. Fyra

Fyra #1 in Spring PvP Season

Interesting ideas!

10. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Well, but isn't a bigger deck better, escpecially if it doesn't require any longer for player to draft?

11. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I don't believe so, I actually like the small decks - but convince me otherwise.

12. Arcanan

Arcanan Kobold

[Edited] Apologise

Because right now the neverending drawing priest can be a bit anyoning and is clearly unbalanced in favor of them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I'm happy to discuss the merits or demerits of quick draw but I don't appreciate you implying that my play is abusive and exploitive just because I like a certain mode of play as it currently stands. Personal jabs certainly aren't going to convince me that change needs to be made. (If it wasn't personal and you think that universally the only reason people can enjoy games is through abusive or exploitive play, then I apologize for taking it as such.) If you'd like to rephrase your query into the mode of thoughtful and respectful discussion I'd be happy to continue our dialectic.

UiA and Stexe like this.
  14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

How about this:
    1. Ban non-handicap traits from the draft phase.
    2. Each char gets one fixed card based on their class and one for their race, then drafts 7 cards as normal.

This would give a 9 card deck without increasing the draft time (and keeping it mainly a draft game), and prevents any sort of trait abuse.

My ideas for the fixed cards:
    Misguided Heal, Bludgeon, Spark
    Shrug It Off, Elvish Insight, Lateral Thinking

Comments?

15. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Aye, devs will continue to tweak this format as more playtest data streams in. The current form is still experimental prototype.

I feel 1. is overkill. The problem isn't so significant to justify a trait-wide ban. Fixed cards add to the tedium, don't just consider the vets. Think about the first-timers/newcomers, they have to learn some cards which they didn't even select or have no say in picking. How fair/friendly is that ? Draw engine has been a hotly debated issue since beta. I'm not surprised that the subset of priest cards suffer the same fate. Unlike usual MP tho, Farbs can limit the card selections code-side. Which is all that's really needed to bring things in line...

16. UiA

UiA Ogre

Ok I've played plenty of quickdraw games and encountered a neverending draw priest team once, and that was when the quickdraw was in testing with only 5 cards. You seem to be saying the leagues are flooded with them, just haven't had that experience like you claim. I've found success in pods with whatever the random draws throw at me, be it wizards wars or priests, just make the best choices you can and you'll do fine, no need to be so bitter about it.

Also coming on here implying anyone who like the format as it stands are abusers and exploiters of the mechanic is patently facetious and borders on trolling. (Ad hominem attacks)

17. Arcanan

Arcanan Kobold

Ok I edited my post.

That said I am not ok with the attitude to say : Some exploit are rare so we don't do anything.

Also another Idea to improve balance would be to make impossible to have 3 time the same class.

18. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

The exploit is there, but it's not so easy to pull it off. Some days ago I learned that attachments cards aren't in your deck if at the start of the turn they are attached to some character, meaning you can't draw them. So, if you choose your attachment cards and traits accordingly (it's easier if you have another priest in the team to use Inspiration or Accelerated Thought), your priest has a good chance of drawing every turn the card you want to draw, which in my case is usually Nimbus, as it's one of the strongest in Quick Draw. But as I said, it's not like you can do it every game. And I like this league as it stands. I wouldn't like to add some fixed cards, that would kill it imo.

19. Soltis

Soltis Goblin Champion

It would be nice if something changes. As I have run into far too many draw priests. In fact Quickdraw has been the only time since the balance patch that I have had anyone hit their draw limit....
    If there is one thing less fun than running into a cheese team.... It is running into a cheese team and thanks to the completely random luck of the draw you haven't even been given the cards or characters you would need to counter them. At which point your choices are limited to stick it out for another 5-10min and lose or just click resign and hope your next quickdraw doesn't start out criminally one sided from the get go.

20. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

My biggest suggestion for Quick Draw is that you should only be able to draft one trait at Bronze and one trait at Silver.
    Well, something like that. If you draft enough traits you can thin your deck down to drawing the same Gold every 1-2 turns, which can be a bit much.

I'd even go as far to suggest that one of the card slots in your deck should be exclusively Traits, and have other slots with no traits at all.