[Feedback] Auto Target

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by grolibus, Aug 10, 2013.

1. grolibus

grolibus Kobold

This function is rather nice, but:
    - "Winds of War" is automatically used on enemies, which makes the option unusable if you have this card in your deck. This is because this card is considered an attack only. Instead, cards like that should be considered Attack/Utility, and therefore not played automatically.
    - It doesn't work with attacks that include a move.

I'm sure people can come up with a few other points of improvement.

2. Lockon

Lockon Mushroom Warrior

CTRL+click. Solves all your problems. Now, if they mentioned this anywhere it would be better.

Keyser likes this.
  3. grolibus

grolibus Kobold

What does it do?

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

It disables auto-target for that card and lets you target enemies or allies regardless of what kind of card it is.

5. kogi

kogi Ogre

There is also an option in the settings which turn off auto target permanently.

6. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

ctrl+click when playing a card temporarily suspends auto-targeting. ie. auto-targeting isn't used if the the player is holding ctrl when they click the card.

Personally though, I disabled auto-targeting pretty early and I don't expect to ever use it again.. Auto-targeting does remove the need for a lot of redundant mouse clicks, which is nice, but it's just far too frustrating when auto-target causes me to waste a card - and that happens a lot. For example, if I've forgotten that one of my characters has Squeamish or Taunt attached to them, auto-target can cause me to use an attack against someone unexpected without giving me a chance to cancel; similarly if I've misjudged my character's line-of-sight, or range or something like that.

So for me, auto-targeting is a liability that I wouldn't want to risk.

All that aside though, on the topic of Winds Of War, I agree that it shouldn't only allow enemies in its auto-targeting. When I use Winds Of War, I'm just as likely to target allies as enemies - and so I don't think auto-target should assume that I'm going to target enemies with it (similarly for Misguided Heal).

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

8. grolibus

grolibus Kobold

Ooooh, that's great. Thank you!

I still think that the adjustments I mentioned should be made, but at least now I can use the option without wait ^^

Edit: actually, that solves only the (most important) Winds problem. Step attacks still don't auto-target like they should.

9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

That's because the game doesn't know if you only want to move and not use the attack portion, its working as intended.

10. grolibus

grolibus Kobold

Meh, the auto-targetting system doesn't ask me if I want to do the second action of attacking a second target with a hack chop, so I don't see why it should act differently with step attacks.
    If I wanted to not automatically attack, I wouldn't use auto-target... Especially now that I know I can press Ctrl to do it only from time to time ;)

Also, after moving you still have to press "Done" to confirm that you're not attacking... even if there's no one to attack. That could be fixed.

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, huh ? Now I'm like totally confused as to what you mean...

Great feedback ! ;)

12. grolibus

grolibus Kobold

You're saying that the game doesn't know if you want to use the step AND attack.
    I'm saying that it's like when you're in front of two enemies with a Hack Chop card: it doesn't "know" that you want to attack one AND the other (rather than avoid the one with Martyr's Blessing, for example). But it does it anyway, because that's what auto-targetting means.

karadoc likes this.
  13. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, this is where I'm confused...which Hack allows you to attack two enemies ?
    I checked the wiki and all the hacks (Lunging Hack, Powerful Hack, Mighty Hack, Obliterating Hack, Strong Hack, Almighty Hack) are single target. Do you mean chops ? That's because, in general, chops are not hybrid cards, ie, they don't have 2 components. You can see dev response in the below thread for an exception: Strong Chop.

https://forums.cardhunter.com/threa...d-by-multiple-target-attacks.2512/#post-28838

Strong Chop fouled up the auto-targetting because it was a hybrid card with chop component. Yeah, I agree that auto-targetting for hybrid cards needs more work. Any feedback on those front would be much appreciated.

14. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, I'll log a task to not prompt for done in that case (no targets after step).

Auto-targeting after step needs more work.

And, to the original point, I agree that Winds of War should probably be reclassified as a Utility, which would disable auto-targeting on it.

grolibus likes this.
  15. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Winds of War does 1 damage to targets and can be used as a ranged finisher. Its not a pure utility...purple/red hybrid ?

16. grolibus

grolibus Kobold

Thanks!! :)
    And yeah, I meant Chop...

Winds of War is definitely a Utility/Attack hybrid, even if it's hardly ever used for the damage.

17. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Free tip: If you combo unholy wellspring with winds of war, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone...um, 2 chars with 1 card at range ! Underestimate this card at your own peril... :D