Smithy- Build your own Items

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Juxtapostion, May 21, 2015.

1. doublequartz

doublequartz Lizardman Priest

"One of each" makes for all the fun items.
    Elemental Sword
    Epic Weapon
    Level 14(.5) [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mighty Hack
    Fiery Stab
    Icy Block
    Nimble Strike
    Immovable
    Arcane Feedback

Staff of Force
    Rare Staff
    Level 7 [​IMG]
    Force Cannon
    Force Cone
    Force Blast
    Force Bolt
    Force Field
    Forced Rotate

Continuing the theme, Burst staffs are always in high demand. Wizards also needs their own song.
    Bombersong
    Legendary Staff
    Level 18 [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Fireball
    Radiation Bomb
    Ember Burst
    Arcane Burst
    Spreading Laser
    Big Zap

Single-item Anti-synergy is one of my favorite game mechanisms. it makes some of the cards at top of the power curve more bearable.
    Awkward Futuristic Mail
    Epic Heavy Armor
    Level 21 [​IMG]
    Force Field
    Adaptable
    Arrogant Armor

There aren't many good source of Sundering Strike. Denying heal is proven to not break the game yet there aren't more of it either. So we introduce this bleeding edge technology:
    Bleeding Edge
    Legendary Weapon
    Level 17 [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sundering Strike
    Sundering Strike
    Sundering Strike
    Sundering Strike
    Hemorrhage
    Hemorrhage

Robauke, BlackSabbath and fatcat__25 like this.
  2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

BlackSabbath likes this.
  3. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

As I play back through the expansions, crafting a team from items from each release, I noticed a lack of skill involved in the creation of sky citadel.

Space Marine
    Human Skill (majortoken)
    Laser Block
    Push The Button
    Run

Eldar Rocketry
    Elf Skill(majortoken)
    Rocket Charge
    Rocket Dash
    Fright

Mimetic Squat
    Dwarf Skill(majortoken)
    Mimetic Crown
    Mimetic Armor
    Immovable

Light Knight
    Martial Skill(majortoken)
    Laser Thrust
    Team Walk
    Impaler

Racial Cleansing
    Divine Skill(minortoken)
    Genetic Engineering
    Gene Therapy
    Holy Presence

Polar Levitation
    Arcane Skill(majortoken)
    Cooling Laser
    Hover
    Hover

We're also missing an elf skill for Aloyzo's Arsenal at this point. (I suggest my previous post Parity: Warp Run, Warp Run, Vulnerable.) this evens things out between races such that each has a way to deal with attachments from the skill slot.

4. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

BlackSabbath, tolkien and fatcat__25 like this.
  5. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

6. doublequartz

I see we're making references.
    Asimov's Authoritative Amulet
    Common Divine Item
    Level 3 Tokenless
    Fright
    Prestidigitation
    Impenetrable Nimbus
    In this order. Force Field would've been bit better fitting theme wise but less balanced.

Super Hot Dagger
    Legendary Weapon
    Level 18 (majortoken)(majortoken)
    Nimble Strike
    Time Snap
    Dodge
    Nimble Strike
    Accelerate Time
    Vicious Thrust
    I admit this is pretty far-fetched. Unused card potential is just so tempting.

Obsidian Crafting Kit
    Epic Arcane Item
    Level 19 (majortoken)
    Lava Pool
    Flash Flood
    Penetrating Cut
    Pick included.

"Heedless of obstacle or hindrance, they hurled themselves at the foe." -Saga of Skarn Elkinford
    Howling Guidance
    Hurling Guidance
    Rare Human Skill
    Level 19 (majortoken)
    Scamper, Team!
    Jump, Soldier!
    Dangerous Maneuver

Speaking of Team! moves, why couldn't we have this card? it doesn't even pass for a card idea.
    Cooperative Ferocity
    Dwarf Skill
    Probably (majortoken)
    Dwarven Battle Cry
    Charge, Team!
    Charge

Giving each race ways to counter what each class does.
    Elusive Counter
    Epic Elf Skill
    Level 21 (majortoken)
    Acrobatic Flip
    Quick Reactions
    Warp Run

Flexible Counter
    Epic Human Skill
    Level 12 (minortoken)
    Escaping Run
    Counterspell
    Purge
    Maybe with Open Wound in place of Purge? Humans don't have their own ways to counter each class, so they end up getting something generic.

Stalwart Counter
    Rare Dwarf Skill
    Level 15 (minortoken)
    Parry
    Immovable
    Antimagic Skin

Shotgun Slug is hard to put in an item because it's hugely undercosted. Fortunately, wizards also have one heck of overcosted card..
    Unstoppable Shotgun
    Common Staff
    2 of each:
    Shotgun Slug
    Shotgun Spray
    Penetrating Bolt
    I would like to see Shotgun Spray in game. for some reason we don't have long range damaging Cone attack.
    Its potential in Death March is awesome and would also make Smoke Bomb a real thing.

As a Smoke Bomb Arcane Skill, this would've made the most sense.. but it's also less than playable. so Novice Obfuscation got the favor.
    Incomplete Combustion
    Common Arcane Skill
    Level 13 (minortoken)
    Kindler
    Firestarter
    Smoke Bomb

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    BlackSabbath and fatcat__25 like this.
  7. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

What about Robotic Rules Robes?
    Since my kids play minecraft, I caught that reference.
    I love Charge, team! it belongs on the card ideas thread.

8. doublequartz

Everyone, if you're excited about what comes next, we better make tributes for the new devs... of gamebreakingly overpowered items, exclusively available to them! Let's start with giving them 3rd copy of the best block in the game...
    Knight of the Unity
    Epic Martial Skill
    Level 18 [​IMG]
    Defender's Block
    Wind Dancer
    Penetrating Lunge

"Hey, you use Unity?"
    Oh wow, another game engine showed up. It seems that they wants to compete too...
    Unreal Engine
    Rare Arcane Skill
    Level 19 [​IMG]
    Illusory Barrier
    Dimensional Traveller
    Rocket Dash

Previously, wizards got their own song. But they had more things they miss! Lunatically powered item is one of them.
    Orb of the Pale Moon
    Rare Arcane Item
    Level 16 [​IMG]
    Teleport Self
    Illusory Barrier
    Zap

This also fits into my previous post better, but I wants attention at all, so I'm not editing this in.
    Alchemy Circle
    Epic Staff
    Level 14 [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Fireball
    Wall Of Stone
    Touch Of Death
    Nimble Strike
    Hard Tin Fist
    Stone Spikes

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  9. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  10. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

For organization's sake, I will create a new post for a new card to focus on, and add any further items using scorching rays to the previous post.
    This post will be items using disenchant, which might be a bit overpowered, but is an interesting idea.

Spellshatter Locket
    Epic Arcane Item

Level 18 (majortoken)
    Disenchant
    Counterspell
    Mind Leak

I would also be interested to see other people think about how to use these un or under-utilized cards. It is fun to think of sensible items using super powerful cards.

After it being pointed out that Disenchant belongs on priest items, I have come up with the following:
    Witch-Hunter's Flail
    Rare Divine Weapon

Disenchant
    Frenzy Aura
    Inquisitor's Strike
    Inquisitor's Strike

Purging Strike
    Purging Strike

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  11. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Super quick thoughts:
    Lovin' it.
    Searing Coat has no Armor cards and a Boost normally only found on the Skill.
    Disenchant is probably more of a Priest card—and really ought to be Utility, come to think of it, instead of Attack.

12. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

@fatcat__25 I refer you to the following thread for wise guidelines for suggesting new items

fatcat__25 likes this.
  13. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

I'd play hell's everliving flames out of Searing Coat.

I think I had the idea to put Firestarter on robes before, as it's the only other item that's exclusive to wizards with only one slot, so it felt the safest bet for a potential fourth copy. As it's been pointed out before, however, Searing Coat lacks an armor card, currently, and considering that Firestarter is considerably undercosted at bronze (in line with most of the cycling traits, sensible considering that they only occur on class skills, resulting in this being rather hard to abuse), I feel that the robes with Firestarter should not be too streamlined. I'd consider replacing Combustible with Cloth Armor. This would bump up the item level to 18, requiring a major token, remove a cycling card from the item and add an armor card to it, and a rather anemic one at that. I think it'd make the concept a lot more balanced (I'd still play it on every occasion I get, though).

As much as I love the idea of Demonic Flames (the unholy drawbacks on fire cards), I don't think I'd use it. Not because of the Demonic Revenges, even, I just dislike Firestorm a lot and systematically don't use items with it. Much like in the previous case, I don't think it'd particularly hurt the item if it required a major token, albeit in this case in exchange for much more useful and interesting cards than Firestorms. Flame Spit would be, I believe, fairly fitting thematically speaking, too. It is a card that's, while underpowered at bronze (compare it to Flame Jet that trades a single point of initial damage for the ability to hit multiple opponents), is still good to have in a few copies for variety's sake, and generally not easy to find on arcane items. If my algebra's correct, replacing the two Firestorms with Flame Spits would increase the item level to 15 and the token requirement to one major and one minor. I'd personally be perfectly fine with that and would be much more inclined to use the staff that way. As a final (also quite subjective) note, I think that an indication that it is in fact a staff would be nice. Demonic Flamestaff or something like that.

Not sure I'd play Malfunctioning Flamethrower but I find it a lot of fun. I've heard it being said before that malfunctions are typically not put onto items as they are, but that's weird because Laser Spray shows up on some items by itself, so I'm not sure why Meltdown couldn't. Very flavorful, interesting choice, and the item looks pretty good otherwise, but with a considerable risk. I like it.

As for trying to design an item, let's see. Other than Scorching Rays, another card I'd like to be able to use more is Fireball. Obviously quite powerful. Found only on three items, all three of which have substantial drawbacks. Staff Of The Fire God is by far the best of the three, although two Magma Sprays are a pretty bad deal. Searing Flame has three Flashes of Agony which are dumb and unsuitable for a fire wizard, and Spritastrophe is just too all over the place for use. Let's try to build something systematically. We want Scorching Rays and Fireball. As mentioned before, Flame Spit is a useful card to have on a staff designed for pyromancers, and we can reduce the item level with drawbacks, all the way down to 21 (it's futile to assume that we can go below this if we want both Scorching Rays and Fireballs).

In fact, forget Flame Spit.

Hellfire Staff
    Staff (level 21, legendary, (majortoken)(majortoken))
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've decided to go with Friendly Fire for another thematic black card that can be quite serious (burning 2 on a random ally with Firestarter on can mess things up), to avoid plagiarizing the idea with Demonic Revenge (which otherwise would still be a really nice fit), and to make the item legendary.

Another route to take could be to go a little less extreme. Let's say we cut down the Scorching Rays and/or Fireballs to one, but add two Instant Burns. This could be helpful in allowing us to double up on the staff. If we're fine using up all our major tokens on the two staff slots, we could go with something like...

Pyromancer's Battlestaff
    Staff (level 21, legendary, (majortoken)(majortoken))

I wasn't quite sure what to put as the last card. I went with Fire Bolt, as I think we could actually use that card for players. It's definitely not overpowered at paper quality, and it'd be nice to have alternatives for pyromancers at this level that have a range of more than two tiles. If you don't like that, Magma Spray is of course still an option. Having a black card in the last slot would net us a staff of level 19, still requiring double major. We'd have our options here, such as Friendly Fire, Demonic Revenge, or whatever else you may have in mind.

If we want the staff to require one major and one minor token, we need to let go of one of our Fireballs.

Wym's Singestaff
    Staff (level 16, legendary, (majortoken)(minortoken))

As before, feel free to substitute Friendly Fire to other black cards of your preference. And once again I opted for Flame Spit for the aforementioned reasons.

...I might have gone a little too deep on manifesting my dreams in item form.

tolkien, Maniafig and fatcat__25 like this.
  14. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

Thanks @tolkien, that guideline list should help a lot. As for Searing Coat, is feel like a dunce for having armor without armor, and think Frostguard's suggestions to fix that seem appropriate. I missed that Disenchant is holy, rather than arcane. It would make more sense as a priest's card because of that. Hopefully I have time to come up with more items soon.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    tolkien, ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  15. fatcat__25

fatcat__25 Orc Soldier

16. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I vote Pyromancer’s Battlestaff. It adds the most new toys to the game without destroying balance.
    MAGA Make Aggro Great Again.

fatcat__25 likes this.
  17. doublequartz

Smith doublequartz's New Year Special

Card Hunter made me grow fond of alliteration. Unfortunately, there aren't many Arcane Item kinds that begins with a T.
    Turnbull's Triangle of Tickling
    Common Arcane Item
    Level 11 [​IMG]
    Winds Of War
    Dissolve Armor
    Force Bolt

Slice of Life
    Rare Martial Skill
    Level 6 Tokenless
    Slicer
    Morsel
    Dangerous Maneuver
    Here, if 4-card item was possible, I would have added GLOMP...

It seems for some reason the devs have decided not to print a tokenless Mind Worm item. Seeing how weak it is, though, I think we could have one...
    Brainwashing Worms
    Legendary Divine Item
    Level 6 Tokenless
    Mind Worm
    Mind Worm
    Savage Curse

I usually prefer to respect the item design guideline. Well not this time. Having even one non-Trip card would be untolerably off-flavor.
    Qwop's Shoes
    Uncommon Boots
    Level 1 Tokenless
    Trip
    Trip
    Trip

Stout Dittowarf
    Rare Dwarf Skill
    Level 21 [​IMG]
    Duck
    Mimetic Armor
    Mimetic Armor

This one is probably bit too strong in terms of balance. Still, I find this item to be a natural extension of existing dwarf skills.
    Advanced Raging Battler
    Legendary Dwarf Skill
    Level 11 [​IMG]
    Battle Rage
    Blind Rage
    Toughened Hide Strips

ParodyKnaveBob and fatcat__25 like this.
  18. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

fatcat__25 likes this.
  19. doublequartz

With the incoming CF expansion it's high time for us to create some Japanese-themed items. I've wished that Flash Flood and Teleport Self was found on one item. While that's likely overpowered, Leap is a thematical downgrade similar enough to possibly justify introducing it on a new slot.
    Inaba's Portable Bridge
    Level 9 [​IMG]
    Epic Arcane Item
    Flash Flood
    Leap
    Dropped Guard

Spooky Battlestaff
    Level 15(.5) [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Epic Staff
    Unnerving Strike
    Startling Strike
    Boo!
    Hex Of Dissolution
    Shifting Block
    Chilling Rime
    Yes, there's no CF cards in here. I'd rather not force myself into using any new cards when it makes more sense otherwise. This staff however is tuned for CF, Grinding Aura in particular.

Self purging with Arrogant Armor, Lateral Thinking and/or Gene Therapy looks like an interesting concept to build around. Sadly, actual attempts to do so is followed by realization that items like Enormous Mattock are not far enough ahead of its alternatives, partly because of power creep-inducing items like Stolen Torch.
    Intimidating Club
    Level 18(.5) [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rare Weapon
    Anvil Strike
    Strong Bash
    Lunging Bash
    Devastating Blow
    All Out Attack
    Fright

Overloaded Medallion
    Level 12 [​IMG]
    Uncommon Divine Item
    Demonic Power
    Boosted Heal
    Mind Leak

Despite having three good cards, this robe is probably not strong enough to justify (majortoken)... More of thematic item than anything viable.
    Aurora Veil
    Level 18 [​IMG]
    Epic Robes
    Cone Of Cold
    Illusory Barrier
    Sparkling Cloth Armor

tolkien likes this.
  20. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

fatcat__25 likes this.