Is the game dying? And how to save it, if it is..

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Janet, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Janet

Janet Guild Leader

Since returning to the game after a couple of years of absence I noticed that there had been very little in terms of update. We're now more than halfway through the month, with no leagues scheduled and no monthly meta to date. This all suggests that the DEVs don't have the means/time to keep carrying this forward. Yet, I think it would be a tremendous shame to see the game go, because I think it is timeless and one of the best games out there, like Battle for Wesnoth.

To this end, I would humbly suggest to the DEVs:

1. To consider going down the open-access parth of Battle for Wesnoth, if they feel it is not sustainable for them to keep following this.

2. To create a fixed set of the best leagues (Quick Draw imo) and just leave it running permanently, it's better than having no leagues

3. To just leave normal months names to meta, without having to create a new entry for each month, like this we get meta without needing their intervention, even if the content is less appealing

Thanks,

J.

2. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I would also humbly suggest monetizing the curate(s) in a motivational, encentivizing, commission oriented way. Or consider bringing in a board of trustees, hand-picked to ensure a continuance of style, that would spread out the workload.

Janet likes this.
  3. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Yeah, can't work out why leagues and guild months aren't automated.

On the other hand, I played my first regular MP matches in like two years, so there is that.

Janet and caniponu like this.
  4. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Jon aka Blue Manchu Games have been working on a new game called Void Bastards for the last couple of years.

Although, forums are still the best place to discuss and propose things to other players, I think fastest way to get attention of the devs is to email support@cardhunter.com.

Janet likes this.
  5. Janet

Janet Guild Leader

This would already solve 70-80% of the issues

I've always been happy to pay for content to support game (even when I didn't need to pay)

They do check forum from time to time, and I thought it best to bring this up with the other players too

Pawndawan likes this.
  6. First of all I would really like to see this game persist (and perhaps even evolve) for some more years. And by now I've (grudgingly) accepted that there is some potential not utilized (higher levels, more powerful tokens, projectile attacks, ...). But that the number of active players is constantly decreasing isn't a positive sign after all.

BUT:
    - I, too, don't get why some parts aren't already automated. Even by the time where the devs were still working on this game, league schedules were running out from time to time without new ones coming up. And I guess no player would complain if leagues would just rotate (put them all into a list, shuffle them once and take the first four for this month and afterwards put them at the end of the list and take the next four, or distinguish the different types of leagues and do several such rotations). This will probably also work for ranked MP themes. This always involves actual server updates but the sessional items coming to Cardhuntria isn't automated either. Last year we missed out on Halloween items. And events like Halloween, New Year and CH Birthday are pretty much predictable, they aren't just there out of the blue. Is it asking too much to grant us users the few events that we get in this game?
    - If the devs are moving on to another game (and I don't mind if they do so), then why do they still organize AAs and miss to award them. If they try to keep this game alive by doing an AA every now and then, then please give us the new items afterwards. Posting a new AA contest is in a way a commitment to the community so please keep your promises and select a winning item. Or make them run for a longer period of time. There is no reason to limit them to two weeks if no-one has time to select a winner for another four weeks.

I guess this is more a "why you could think the game was dying" than any suggestions on how to rescue it, but I thought to mention this here.

Kornl, Sir Veza, Janet and 2 others like this.
  7. Janet

Janet Guild Leader

Thanks for chipping in, I think the game has the potential to keep running for a very long time. Battle for Wesnoth has been running for 13 years.

8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

RE: Leagues

Don't know why they are not automated, but for a long time I've had a forum PM aimed at Jon, Farbs and Flaxative identifying new leagues need to be added. It got to the point where all I had to do was post a one word message to that PM and one of them would add more leagues usually within 24 hours. This is what has been keeping leagues loaded on a regular basis for a long time now. For personal reasons I've stepped away at this point, sooooooo: Someone could step up and be the PM guy, or no one can do it and there could be hope that with the "system down" (me not PM'ing anymore) that this would motivate them to automate. Best of luck either way - and hello and goodbye to all!