Aloyzo's Arsenal Official SUBMISSION Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

A Savage Curse without the buff should be easy to do, so long as the discard happens under the same conditions. But this doesn't really help against Vengeance, since the character will already have used it to get in your face before playing any attacks.

I was going to comment on how no current features trigger on card quality, then realized you meant damage type. Discarding by damage type is only used by SelfDiscardByTypeComponent (Drained Battery) so may not currently be supported for targeted cards.

2. hello world

hello world Hydra

I'm a little surprised that the book was the last image to be used, and that there is now at least a card for each image.

Also I hope that people that liked my card realized that it always hits the caster, hoped the flavor would make it clear, but now I'm unsure.

And I was thinking something like, " fate is not only inescapable, but sometime even a little too far reaching" as flavor text.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I made a deliberate effort to come up with at least one idea for every image, so I now have about 30 ideas, but I'm not terribly happy with any of them. The book was one of the hardest to fit an idea to (card names: Scholars Without Borders and Gideon's Guide to Tactics).

Caltrops also does the "range 2, burst 2" thing.

4. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

speaking of the hand-on-book image, thanks @Sir Veza for the Rules Lawyer class:

Swear the Truth
    (hand on book image)
    Attack, Range 4, Magic Holy
    some decent-nice quality
    Uncommon probably
    Attach to target. Duration 2.
    At the start of each round, target reveals their hand.
    Flavor text re: truth, justice, and the Cardhuntrian way? I dunno. [insert Rules Lawyer joke here at any rate]

If anyone's looking for an idea to submit. $¦^ J

(Meanwhile, I've only half-considered any flavor text for Heightened Senses Blazing Reflexes. I oughtta get back onto that.)

5. ParodyKnaveBob

Flak finally answered, attachment most likely won't work, and the contest closes tomorrow. Man, I'm still stuck between Free Card or not. Of course we'd prefer to use Free Card, but if our opponents have it? Besides "discard oldest card" counterplay, there's not much one can do -- but then, that's where Ready to Strike and Quick Reactions are, too, except RtS and QR do something by themselves while in hand. With mine, though, even with other cards in hand being Moves, there's only so much stacking one can do because, unlike Armor that's generally intended to stay put and decrease damage over time (plus have other effects), Moves are generally intended to be used. Okay. I think I've convinced myself Free Card on Blazing Reflexes.

EDIT: The perfectionist has finally posted this thing. http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/aloyzos-arsenal-26-design-a-card.11943/page-3#post-136371 Even if it doesn't win, I'm satisfied with the card. Big thanks again to everyone who gave input! $:^ )

@Kalin: Discard two specified cards of a type? Linear? -- meaning potential multiple characters and no way to trigger many of the very cards it'd discard (Dodge etc.)? Immediately (taking out blocks afterward)? With some piddly electrical damage which can be buffed easily as well? That sounds like so much more than silver quality... I recall silver-quality Short Perplexing Ray being called OP for discarding 2 random cards at range 3...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Sir Veza and winner like this.
  6. orian34

orian34 Orc Soldier

@ParodyKnaveBob
    It's interesting, but I don't really understand when you roll dices to move?
    Seeing your post made me think of another version:

Brazen Speed (Boost card)
    • When you play a move card, add 1 to it and gain Free Move. Keep.

winner likes this.
  7. ParodyKnaveBob

@orian34: There are some Move cards that have die rolls on them. Blazing Reflexes would affect those. Your suggested Brazen Speed is akin to Fleet, already in the game.

8. orian34

orian34 Orc Soldier

oh, right. Fleet gives some armor I think?
    Also, I just tried to look but except for laser rolls, slowed, armor and boost hybrid cards, that's all.
    That would mean your Blazing Reflexes increases armor rolls and dodge chance. I'm not sure how I'd feel having 1/2 chance to dodge an attack with 1 dodge or reflex teleport. With free card you could stack 2 of those. It feels a little too good.

edit: now that I checked again, if it boosts moves, then there's nothing that rolls dices except the rocket dash, because of the way hybrid cards work.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    winner likes this.
  9. hello world

hello world Hydra

@Sir Veza.

You might want to up the quality of your card since drawing 3 cards has only been done at amethyst for now, even if your submission is probably worse than delegate(less powerful if saved to the end of turn, run is probably a better card than most things a character can draw from their deck, works worse if you lost a character)

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

@hello world
    You're right, but there are at least 3 submissions I like better than mine, so I'll leave mine flawed.

11. ParodyKnaveBob

@orian34 Correct on all points. You've missed a lot of discussion (that actually started a year or two ago). It could've been interesting to be a Trait so that it'd be easier to put more in a deck, but Flak said he'd try to build the mechanic locally (using a hodge-podge of different components that might not jel), and as I feared, it didn't seem to work. Therefore, even as not a Free Card, I figured you couldn't get more than one in a deck, hence my going ahead and marking it as Free Card.

Sir Veza and orian34 like this.
  12. orian34

orian34 Orc Soldier

The small bit about the stacking 2 was stacking 2 dodges or reflex teleport with 1 sense in free card. So you'd have 2 boosted rolls.

13. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

@ParodyKnaveBob I'd really love for that Boost to be made... it'd certainly make your adventures with Myx'd a bit easier, eh? =P

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  14. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Any luck boost is going to have to be limited like PKB's idea because with the abundance of unreliable blocks possible, I doubt a simple straight boost to rolls will happen.

15. 3beaner

3beaner Guild Leader

what's happening w/ AA these days? far as I can tell last one was end of August and we're still awaiting a winner? or am I missing something?

16. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Most recent one closed in mid-September, actually.

17. quixote

quixote Orc Soldier

It seems Aloyzo's experiment has failed. Hohoho.

18. HisRoyalHygiene

HisRoyalHygiene Guild Leader

To alleviate pressure on @Flaxative is there a part of this process that could be crowd sourced? AA is one of the most interesting parts of cardhunter and eliminating some of the wait each time would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps aloynzo needs an apprentice?

(for the record, I'm not nominating myself. I think I have consistently demonstrated my naivety when it comes to game balance and design)

tolkien likes this.
  19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I doubt it. Coding and testing takes time. If Flax needs help, I'm pretty sure he'll ask for it if he hasn't already. (I know he hasn't asked me, but I'm a campaign player, and not overly concerned with balance.)
    If he says he'll do it, he'll do it. The fact that he didn't set a deadline doesn't bother me. It will be done when it's done.

20. 3beaner

3beaner Guild Leader

You old farts and your patience
    :p