Aloyzo's Arsenal #2 Peer Feedback & Discussion

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pawndawan, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

That item would be somewhat overpowered as a boot item. Too much damage for a zero token boot. A charge instead of the 2nd LB would have been a bit more balanced.

2. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

...And this is why...

The PLOT ARMOR should be the option!

Do YOU need a picture-perfect hero from books, anime, games, you know, the one that always dodges a bullet, the one that is protected by the PLOT ITSELF?

Do YOU need somebody who just doesn't want to die? And doesn't let anybody kill him?

I knew you'd like it.

IT HAS THREE BLOCKS THAT ARE GUARANTEED TO PROC although only on low health
    Not only they block the next attack you'd normally be a victim of, THEY ALSO ALLOW YOU TO DRAW A CARD

How would that be better than ANY block there?!

NO IT'S NOT. You can use three of the shields on some people for the 1HP quests in campaign. You can also KEEP THE HERO YOU WANT TO BE ALIVE... ALIVE!

So now that you know all that, VOTE FOR PLOT ARMOR!

#PlotArmorForLyf

Maniafig and Pawndawan like this.
  3. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

@billiska: Thanks for sharing your thoughts behind your item. :) Changing Reflexive Teleport to Dodge would make it better and more usable in my opinion. Although Frenzy Aura is on Dwarf skill, I got from AA #2 that BM or at least Flax wants to avoid those in the future. Also worth noting, is that currently Frenzy Aura helps two classes, whereas Arcane Shell is only targeted to Wizards. All in all, good concept, but I agree with Flax that major token is too much for it.

@Rebel7284: Your item is really interesting and thematic. I originally dismissed it because it used monster-only card Short Missile. I agree that it should at least cost minor token to get Short Missile to warriors. I think introducing ranged attacks to all classes should be tested more thoroughly, so AA should not be place to introduce them. Also, new ranged attack options should stay restricted, if BM is thinking introducing more classes in the future.

Haha, cross-class / race skill could be cool concept. :)

So far, I've dismissed all Forward Thinking items, because they only contain one copy of the card. I'd like to see 2x Forward Thinking item sometime in the future and I like your item. Slowed is not trait and it fits also thematically to your item. :) I don't have enough experience to comment about the power-level of the item, but if it can (in theory) boost Cooling Lasers, it can't be all bad.

I think they're too strong and crafting legendary items should be avoided, unless there's a really good reason for it. So I think changing Dangerous Maneuver to Shuffle would make it better submission.

@Fry: I added the AA#2 video to the OP. :)

Yes, I totally agree! This would encourage me to try those 1HP quests more often.

Xayrn likes this.
  4. MathuranF

MathuranF Lizardman Priest

I did like the idea of plot armor at the time, but seeing such a similar item such as Impetuous Shield makes me less excited at the prospect of it being made into an item.

timeracers and Flaxative like this.
  5. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  6. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

BTW: that is what you should use in 1HP quests for priests when they get enough tokens(Halo shield isn't as good as impetuous shield if their are melee enemies)

7. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Oh, great. Another item I would never use. No offense, but I don't find any compelling reason to use it. Additionally, I despise how a class-focused item that is available for all classes won in a round where the items that could be submitted were intended for multiple classes.

I would like feedback for my item, Tactical Thinking. It's similar to Xaryn's Careful Thinker in that it has two copies of Forward Thinking, but its use and other aspects are different. I'm not sure where I went wrong this month. Please point it out to me.
    Tactical Thinking, Level 21, major token
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I designed this double-Forward Thinking item as a major token item as opposed to a minor token item because Flaxative commented on the strong nature of 2 gold 1 drawback variety of cards, and at the same time I thought it gives you good value in the form of two traits (which would be totally cool for card hoarding) and a strong multipurpose block.

I would actually play this item. Imagine stacking Cooling Lasers and Arcane Auras on a wizard! It would fit perfectly! Here's an example: Supercooled Laser, Staff Of Winter, Cotton Wizard's Robes, Ulalia's Boots, and Tactical Thinking. You get a variety of high-quality boosters (Cooling Lasers, Arcane Auras, and Forward Thinking) to complement your set of bronze/silver attacks. Additionally, in this sense, a multipurpose block would be perfect - you don't want that Arcane Aura to get discarded because of a damageless Boiling Armor or a low damage priest Stab.

For warriors, this would fit interestingly for several warrior builds: an All Out Attack warrior, a warrior full of parries and blocks, and a warrior with some decent armor. It's also great for any class for those who want to wait and passively build an advantage. Heck, I may go as far as saying it opens up the possibility of Forward Thinking + Mind Worm builds with range-2 vampires. That is interesting, in my opinion.

Okay, it doesn't have amazing flair. But if an item has interesting use and concept, I think it's worth mentioning. I'm just disappointed by the videos because I see obviously hopeless items getting feedback because they're thematically "cool" but utterly unusable.

Sorry for the rant, but to be honest I think Aloyzo's Arsenal is a bit poorly handled. I admit, there are great comments about some items, but a lot of it is pointless. Dynamic Staff was an interesting choice still despite my forewarning to @Flaxative that its double major token cost would make it weak (which it did, and that's why it's not gaining much use). I actually found a bit of use for it in the Copper Zapping Wand build. This month's choice seems far less interesting, especially when you have items like Leomunk's Kickin' Boots lying around. Its use is so situational (you need BOTH a way to deal with your own drawbacks since Trip is potentially fatal AND a way to complement the Lunging Bash concept). This may be just one man's opinion, but I hope it would be heard.

P.S.: I'm getting a bit worried Flaxative is being too subjective about the picks. Listen to the last few minutes of the video. The top picks seem to be about those which "tickled his fancy" with cards that he really liked (e.g. Flight Aura) and themes that he really liked for builds he really liked (e.g. what's good for vampires, check this for the previous month's submissions).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

You didn't go 'wrong' anywhere, or else you would have been in the video, probably. :p

9. chrislafeken

chrislafeken Kobold

Can I get some feedback on my first time submission D: ?
    I wasn't in the video so I'm assuming it meant it just didn't stand out mechanically or thematically.
    Mage-bane Tower Shield
    Reflect Missile, Auto Block, Missile Block

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Oh! I actually thought your item was pretty cool. I almost mentioned it in my video but I trimmed it with a couple other cool entries so that my video wouldn't be too long. That said I hope other players give feedback too. Sorry I'm commenting so much in this thread. ;)

11. chrislafeken

chrislafeken Kobold

Omigosh everyone, he must think of himself as part of our peers!

12. billiska

billiska Ogre

Nothing wrong with that either.

They are both weak I think. I would make an exception for 2 forward thinking to go with obvious maneuver. But that is just my 2 piazzas.

13. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

It's tricky. If you go 3-traits it will end up being an amazing cycling item that allows you to hoard cards and have a smaller deck at the same time for a minor token. This kind of design was discussed in the video for last month's submissions.

14. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

Yes, I specifically made sure the third card on Careful Thinker wasn't a trait to avoid making the skill overpowered, as per Flax's dairy-themed lamentations. That being said, I also wanted the final card to be black quality because, while it opens up new build possibilities, I don't think 2x Forward Thinking is worth a major token, and I've made it a personal point to only submit items I'd use myself.

I do genuinely appreciate the feedback, though.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    Sir Veza likes this.
  15. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

I like the minor token 2x Forward Thinking version more, because it leaves full major tokens for weapons/staves/armor/robes/whatever.

It's good and nice concept, but I think it's too similar to Gunward Shield.

Flaxative likes this.
  16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

@Xayrn, I like pairing Slowed with cards that are undervalued, or have huge variance and can sometimes break the game open (like Leadership). I believe Forward Thinking is actually a balanced gold trait, so actually I think your item is pretty weak. Slowed is one of the worst black cards in the game because it's a dud draw (unless you're running a lot of Energizing Move/Quickness Aura). 2x Forward Thinking + non-trait black card is definitely hard to design given the cards available in the game. 2x Forward Thinking + paper trait (e.g. Wimpy) would be a pretty fair level 18 item (compare to Superb Mobility which has 3 cyclers), but yeah, that would cost a major token. Hm.

Xayrn likes this.
  17. Fry

Fry Ogre

There's no way this contest can be objective, so...yes, it's entirely subjective?

Sir Veza likes this.
  18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I'm worried about Flaxative being too "Bay Area Californian." Odd perceptions and sense of style, that lot. So how can I build a Prius out of cards? ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    Juxtapostion and Flaxative like this.
  19. Questor

Questor Ogre

So, another pointless item.
    I hoped that this Aloyzo thing will enrich the game with items which are not overpowered but at least useful, maybe this will change in the future.
    But if the same persons keeps picking the winners, maybe there should not be such a competition.
    Or it should be made clear that the items are not to better the game but to troll the whole playerbase.

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Pfft, Priuses. Those are so not green. Try a bicycle made out of hippie beard hair.

Inkfingers, Juxtapostion and billiska like this.