[Summary] Recapping 2 years (almost!) and looking ahead

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Phaselock, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Its been a while since Card Hunter was released (Sept 2013) and we've re-capped major activities 6 mths later. Since then, Card Hunter had leagues & quick draw modes, released 2 expansions, integration with Kongregate (Dec 2014) and Steam (July 2015), released co-op etc.

No doubt there will be more stuff to do as with all games that hit Steam (pun intended) in the coming months. I hope that the surge in userbase stays and old-timers like myself will get to see CH live up to its potential (Speaking of which, I've not received any email announcment with this expansion, we are still missing a whole bunch of vets. *peers at @Sir Knight).

Looking ahead:

There've been ton of ideas in forum, mostly dependent on having a larger userbase. I'm sure Jon/Farbs/Flax all have ideas of their own. Behind the scenes, are fears about dividing the playerbase still relevant ? Does the current content have enough retention ? Is the ARPPU increasing ? Bring back the team ? Is flash still dying (recent hype) ?

Well, since CH is now finally on Steam, I asked myself: what's next from a gameplay point of view ? Its about 2 yrs since game started, can CH now focus on more game-related content ?Can CH finally stop hunting for its userbase ?

So I sat down, thought hard and made a top 3 list, stuff that I hope won't take 2 yrs to realize:

1) more frequent expansions (1 per yr just doesn't cut it, yh...hire more staff ! Not the wizard item)
    2) 4th class (discussed to death for the last what, 4/5 yrs ? -.-...about time, right ? right ??)
    3) officially supported endless dungeons (arena defense, champion mode, survivor series... <insert repeatable sp/co-op ultra difficult content here>, satisfy vanity of the homo sapiens)

Share your lists, what are your top 3 expectations ? What do you want to see this game become ?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Pengw1n, Luke Elowalker and Bandreus like this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

At last one speculation in your post is an imminent reality.

3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Steam release was in 2015.

Phaselock likes this.
  4. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Which one? They all sound good.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Juxtapostion likes this.
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Flash is dead, but some of us aren't above playing with the corpse.
    I'd prefer some variable adventures to be on par with the regular adventures, and others to be ultra-difficult with increased rewards.

Christofff, FrigusMacto and Phaselock like this.
  7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I'm not following the mule but can guess which. ;)

Fixed, thanks for the heads up.

I've worked with Unity and I'd recommend it as the engine of choice to port into.

The problem with regular advs, ie, under lvl 18s is the need for new cards/items. That means another whole round of balancing for both sp and mp (which suxors!). <3 ultra difficult... Is there any adv more difficult than troll tyrant? Roll that 4 game painfest into 1 and we'd have a contender, imo.

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The versions I was thinking of wouldn't need new items or monsters. Just a mix of maps and monsters that wouldn't be selected until the adventure was started, so the players wouldn't know what they'd be facing.
    Even an endless dungeon could be built along these lines, with the stages getting harder as you go. Since there is currently no way to win an epic chest in SP, it would be nice if there was one somewhere up (down?) the ladder in an endless dungeon.

9. ArnieBear

ArnieBear War Monkey

I seem to remember flax stating in another post that he was working on some additional SP content - so its most likely option 3 in the list.

I think he stated it would be finished after the ettsc expansion was released (no specific time tho) and I for one cant wait to see what will be added as there is lots of scope/suggestions that could be added

As for this I think the content added would be similar to what Sir Veza states with a randomised scalable dungeon, that would begin at a low level and scale upwards as one progresses from map to map. Options within this might be choice of starting level, length of adventure etc. Will be interesting to see how treasure would be handled I would love the opportunity to get an epic from a sp adventure

A survivor and arena defense mode would be cool also - but that would be a very different and additioanl sp mode i think

Sir Veza and timeracers like this.
  10. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I personally would like to see more MP content. There's a ton of SP content already, and there's no more worry for splitting the player base too much, so more ranked MP queues will definitely be interesting.

Like StarCraft, it would be cool if there were 2v2 and 3v3 ranked modes. You select one character and are teamed up randomly, so you have to work with the person you end up being with. You also have to make a more generalized character or a focused character with a general function to be able to rise in ratings.

Also, I believe blitz ranked modes could be interesting. 5 minutes maximum per side, but slightly larger maps to compensate for the lack of time to think when playing wizards. Disconnection time could still be 2.5 minutes.

11. RedPower

RedPower Kobold

Naked permadeath runs. I love me a good rogue-like - the latest steam rogue-likes have been disappointing.

Failing that, rogues.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Sir Veza, karadoc and Bandreus like this.
  12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've never gotten any Unity games to work on my computer (I don't think my system is good enough for it). Plus, one of the things I like best about CH is the fact that it's not 3D.

13. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

You can make 2d games in Unity just fine (they added tons of 2d-specific functionality in recent releases). I don't think CH needs to be ported over though.

And I am definitely looking forward to CoC, which I guess is what @Flaxative was pointing at.

Anyway, these have been almost-2 fantastic years. I have little doubt CH will keep improving and delighting us for many years to come!

Phaselock likes this.
  14. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

15. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I need a single player farming challenge, so that I don't have to rage about PvP. A working API would be nice too. ;)

Sir Veza and Phaselock like this.
  16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

17. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Whaaaaaaat?!

Oh! Oh, I see. So the @ summons was the one. Glad to deliver. But Phaselock: you should be more careful with your wishes.

Phaselock and Flaxative like this.
  18. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

this is my favorite emogi

Flaxative likes this.
  19. WhiteSorcerer

WhiteSorcerer Guild Leader

If some secret cult of testers is going to be formed again for any new content I would like to know if i'm eligible to be part of it :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  20. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Heh, serves me right for rubbing the magic lamp...that twit with the wit. :)