Cult of the Bejeweled

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by exythe, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

Nothing major, added a third elf warrior, and it's quite amusing to play against control wizards when each of the elves has drawn Elven Maneuvers.

2. So, that's the build everyone is hyping up right now. I've seen that it's pretty efficient, but seems too straightforward to me. And the fact that people tend to use more and more copy-pasta builds in ranked is sort of disapointing. I'd rather see some unexpected dank builds, for example 3x 360 no scope flash of agony yolo wizards.

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

There's always going to be a build that's easier to play, and this is that. It's not the best build, it's just easy to be competitive with it.

4. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

The problem is that one of the easiest builds to use is also one of the most competitive. Not the most competitive, but it is up there depending on Elven Maneuvers + Vicious Thrust draws. Still extremely strong for how easy it is to play, which probably isn't healthy for the game overall.

5. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

I would like to say that despite the ease of play Bejeweled Elves provides. It is still difficult and up to the player to take CoB to the higher ELO's and sustain wins across multiple rotations. I think that the biggest plus and the reason its so popular is that it is cheap. I feel like breaking out of the CoB all the time but typically feel like my alternatives are lacking key items to make them competitive. But, I will admit I struggle to use other classes then warrior effectively. So it could just be that I am inexperiences/bad at playing wizards and priests.

6. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

I feel a 2 warrior + Buff/Purge priest is the most consistent on the current map rotation. MF typically makes up for damage output loss from 3rd warrior and the ability to fire off purging bursts is a great counter to strong traits.

Bejeweled elves are easy to play but I find they break down fairly quick when you know what to expect. Stay in a tight formation with your team and keep a team move in reserve. You can pick one of them off once you see they are out of moves or blocks. Very easy to do on the current map rotation as the elf team will often split the party to try and grab some easy VP. When you see them spend their dash that way, pounce on one of the others(or the far one if you can reach them).

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. Stexe

Unless they have Elven Maneuvers and/or Martyr on them -- then good luck getting away.

8. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

Did I mention the 6 purges on my priest? People depend on traits too heavily these days....

Also, Martyr would imply a 2 warrior + 1 Priest build would it not? ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  9. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

10. Stexe

11. Byungmo

Byungmo Kobold

thanks for a great guide

12. Beravin

Beravin Kobold

Haha, I did the exact same thing and threw on 2 Bejeweled and a Rageblood. I knew it would be amazing the moment I found out they existed (which was not long ago, actually, as I'm quite new). Still looking for a few luxury pieces to fill out my build and then yeah, I'll take my 2 warriors / 1 priest into multiplayer and see how I fare.

13. Still reasonably enough since the items involved haven't changed radically, although if you do happen to run against cushioning armor you may wish for some means of penetrating or breaking it -- it would be unfortunate for a blind rage + mass frenzy + powerful hack to be reduced to a mere 5 damage.

14. RedPower

RedPower Kobold

Double nova axes on one elf is generally the preferred solution. Penetrating beats cushioning, and the purging strike is welcome against nimbus/forcefield users.

15. SlowComputer

SlowComputer Kobold

Thanks to Exythe for revealing his deck, and allow me to reach 1700 with a similar version of CotB.

QuickJon likes this.
  16. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

Just purge them... It's really not that hard. I'm not scared anymore when I face a CotB. Its not a bad build, but you know EXACTLY what card they draw, and when you get a little experienced, this is an overwhelming advantage.

17. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

If it would be that easy to have reliable purges. I dont dare to play more than six purges in my deck, because elsewise my priest would not have much punch

Stexe likes this.
  18. Stexe

Yeah, Purges are really another binary thing that it would be nice to have fixed. Purges are either amazing or useless. At least with Purging Strike you can use it to check for blocks if they have no buffs on them. Wish there were more purges that actually had uses outside of simply "remove buffs."

19. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

If you add effects to Purges they are either still too weak to play normally, like the heals on Cleansing Burst, or the Purge itself becomes the secondary effect. The reason why Purging Strike is so good isn't because of the 3 damage attack tacked on. It's good because Purge itself is so good. I personally don't see a problem with having straight Purges. It's very rare that you'll be lacking targets and they can still check for stuff like Defender's Block. If you still can't find a use for Purges then that just means you aren't running enough Enormous Mattocks. ;)

20. Stexe

The thing about Cleansing Burst is that at least the heal can be useful in some situations. That was a really great change. I'm not saying Purges should get a heal, but going forward I'd like to see less Purge / Purging Burst and more cards that have additional abilities *and* Purge. Something like Blizzard Breath but a bit more balanced.