Holy Vampires, Batman!

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by neoncat, Sep 20, 2014.

1. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I'm currently on a 8-2 run with this team, rising from 1400s to 1600s, so I guess I should tell you all what I'm doing so you can beat me back down. ;) This is a fairly standard 2-dwarf vamp build, with a support priest. It has some key epic / legendary item requirements, though.

There's nothing too complicated about the way it works - you soak hits and drain the opponent. The support priest should usually hang back, but can also assist with capping or go in for an unexpected kill. Most of the effort goes into deciding when is the right time to swarm, when you should stall, when / on whom you should cast buffs.

It's weak against sheer damage (my two losses were against oblit + all-out-attack combos). It's also weak against control wizards, but those get smashed by all the warriors running around, so I haven't really seen any dedicated control teams. It's also weak against smoke bomb + warriors, due to the need for LOS with ranged attacks and buffs.

2x Dorf Vamp
    Dwarf Priest
    1x Support
    Human Priest
    I should note that the first iteration of this build was triple dwarf vamps, mostly like the vamp presented here, but with 1 utility item on each for frenzies / nimbi / martyrs. I wanted more team move, though, hence the concentration of utility items into a human support priest.

I should also highlight a couple of less-used items that really help this build:
    Raging Rock - Toughness is a necessity for any dwarf racial, but the two Blind Rage are great damage buffs. You can almost always manage around the damage drawback.
    Burnished Plates - Frenzy Aura is fantastic, especially if you draw it with a full hand of attacks and some buffs stacked from previous turns. Marty's Blessing is also always fantastic, especially since vamps can easily soak a few hits for the card draws. The team heal works nicely with Talented Healer for a quick team bump.
    Ritual Straps - This is still my favorite non-vamp tokenless divine armor. Purging is a must-have, given the quantity of buffs / nimbi running around at the moment. The lifesaving block is also nice, and hide armor is a small healing buff that doesn't require an action.

BlackSabbath, Sir Veza and Stexe like this.
  2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I've run something similar that I found works well. I've been using 2 Elf Priests with Perfect Insight to use Pathfinding to ensure Team Runs (for getting into and out of combat) and Dodge (to survive). I've been thinking about swapping an Elf out for a Dwarf to try Blind Rage. Generally my team wins trades, but is reliant on having Mass Frenzy up and a Team Run to engage. I suspect using Dwarf vampires might be better depending on the map rotation.

The times I lose are usually due to your same issues of control / burst wizards or burst warriors. Or simply never drawing a Team Run / Pathfinding or Mass Frenzy.

neoncat likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Staples in my own vamp builds (since AotA). Love Ritual Straps, it's so techy. Nice build dude!

neoncat likes this.
  4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I tried using Sliding Boots on a dwarf vampire. I still think they need Dorimer's Boots, or something with Quick Run to get into the action and start killing those pesky wizards. It really depends on the map though.

5. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

hatchhermit likes this.
  6. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Whoa, Turquoise Boots are sick for a dwarf vampire. Healing Dash/Sparkling Cloth Armor/Quickness Aura are all good.

7. doog37

doog37 Hydra

You know I had never thought of how sick Martyr blessing is for a vamp build...
    I might just have to break out drains and the Mail Of The Martyr which I can't beleive is an uncommon and I now need to put on my shopping list, although it seems like Burnished Plates is the more popular choice.
    I wish I had any boots with Violent Spin, and I have been seeing Purging Burst a lot more and it is a nasty card which I might have to weave into my build if I go for one.
    Right now I am having fun with a weak (1250-ish) rating and I Nimbus Preist 2 Warrior build.

8. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Minor tweak: On both vamps, I've swapped in Turquoise Boots for Wlakwa's Boots, and used the resulting major token to equip Slippery Shield instead of Buckler Of Protection. Current rating is 1650, which is the highest I've ever bothered to maintain. It sure keeps those chests coming, tho. ^_^

My only loss in the last 10 matches has been due to rage-quitting against a stalling player. Control wizards continue to be a weak matchup, but cantripped Healing Dash and the response-move from Sparkling Cloth Armor have been excellent. 3x Hard to Pin Down has also added a ton of movement to the build, even if it sacrificed a Defender's Block on each vamp.

I've been underwhelmed by Quickness Aura, and might consider switching to Diamond Moccasins instead, since those have SCA, a decent cantrip move, plus Brutal Charge, which will often be more useful than Quickness Aura.

9. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

@spionecefalide has broken my win streak by stacking tons of armor and dodge while also colluding with the RNG. ;)

(And he still only won 6-5 with 2 hp left on his last character, and mine all at mid-to-full health.)

spionecefalide likes this.
  10. Stexe

Which map? A single VP one?

11. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Yeah, wide open one (modeled after streams).

12. Stexe

Yep, not surprised. Most single VP maps seem pretty swingy.

13. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

What about St. Forgue's Sword instead of the Lifesuck Spear? Frees up a gold token and adds a bit of weird versatility. Mind Worm seems like a dead card, but it can be annoying, especially early in the game, or if an opponent has an armour/harness combo.

14. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

15. Dracoste

Dracoste Kobold

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Flaxative, CT5 and Lord Feleran like this.
  16. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I actually adapted this build for a while.. I don't have all of the items and I decided I would rather have a draining dagger than the lifesuck spear. did pretty well but the whole Dwarf thing messed with me a bit. I have adapted a vamp from this build to my current 1-1-1 with my fun wizard (Heartripper, staff of chask and 4 runestones which is sweet since I have 0 attacks that are affected by squemish) and a typical human warrior.
    I would say the slippery shield was a must for me and i am a big fan of diamond mocs, (quick run, sparkling and brutal charge are three cards I am always happy to draw).
    I still have issues with when to advance an when to hold back when using Dwarves (and in general) I still miss nimble strike making up for my lack of planning movement wise.

17. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I like Draining Dagger for that purpose. I think it's an epic but I wound up with like 4 of them.

18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

19. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

Excellent build neon, quite powerful.

20. Dharzhak

Dharzhak Kobold

My team rolls with 3 dwarf vampires, with some variations due to equipment availability. I spread the support among them equally so that I don't lose any capability if any one of them drops out.

2x Dwarf Priest:
    Nanahut's Morningstore - I get a lot of mileage from Punishing Strike & Cleansing Ray
    Vampire's Blade
    Aegis Of The Defender
    Burnished Plates
    Turquoise Boots
    Kristoph's Skull / Very Bad Gift - Essentially, the same item; I just have one of each.
    Bleneth's Frenzy Charm
    Purging Charm
    Perfect Toughness
    Focused Healer

1x Dwarf Priest:
    Same as above, but drop the Skull & Frenzy Charm and add:
    Bleneth's Frenzy Tome
    Flax's Thirsty Vial