[Suggestion] PvP Test Server Season! (Only 1 week long)

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Scarponi, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

So I want to see the new content get plenty of test before going live, but there's not enough action on the test server to really do so. One can get a feel for new cards playing the AI, but the AI just can't create a feel for the meta.

What if there was a short PvP Season on the test server with good prizes that are awarded on the live server to the winners?! I'm thinking something like a 7 day span. All test server accounts could have their elo and win totals wiped just before the season starts so it could even begin everyone on the same page. I think this would give enough motivation to both get the numbers needed on the test server, and the dedication to build that winning team that actually will mimic the meta. I think this would be superb for feedback and a way to reward those who choose to help test. Just make sure to give people a couple days advance notice so 1) the word can get around, and 2) people have time to craft that "winning build."

Squidy likes this.
  2. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I would be in.

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I would try to help people get some games vs humans but don't have the time to do dedicated environment-aware testing.

The Sorcererers Guild, on the other hand, should participate as much as possible :)
    If this becomes a thing, I'll announce it.

4. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Right now the current state of the game from the balance changes is VERY bad. It is super binary with a "win or lose" type situation. There are a few culprits that just make the game super boring right now on the test server. I feel like we should wait a bit to do this.

5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well the idea is specifically to get more group play on the test server to identify if/what more changes are needed before launching to the live server. Otherwise there's not enough feedback and it will end up going live and only then get further tweaked, or untweaked as the case may be. I don't care if this idea is implemented sooner or later, but I think it would be very valuable to happen at some point before the changes go live. A mini-beta if you will.

6. Stexe

Oh, I know the purpose, but there are already a few major flaws that will make testing pointless if it is a "PvP season" where winning is the goal. I definitely think this would be a good idea in a few weeks when a few of the major problems are dealt with first.

Scarponi likes this.
  7. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Ofc some changes can be made before (draw limit, good harness stacking) but during that 1 week, let it be an important week then, BM can change something every 1-2 days during the season.

8. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

May you develop please?

9. Stexe

I'd love to develop, but it is tough getting a job in the industry! :-P Oh, I assume you mean expand upon it, sure.

Basically, Harness stacking and Cause Fumble are insanely strong at the moment for defensive purposes. You can essentially just stall out any team and win simply by negating the enemy's attacks through either damage reduction or blocking.

The enemy can counter this by stacking armor removal and block removal -- but then if the enemy doesn't run Harness and Cause Fumble they are at a huge disadvantage. This essentially means the game boils down to rock-paper-scissors before the match starts. There might be some "fine balance" between armor removal, block removal, and other cards -- but at that point you're basically forced to run a certain set of cards "just in case" above all else. There's less interesting and meaningful decisions to be made as you're scripted to always include some cards and there's less interesting gameplay because the cards are either "you get the removal card or you're screwed."

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Just to keep you guys up to date on your own awesome ideas, we'll definitely be running a small competition on the test server—soon. Probably starting in about a day or so. The goal will just be to incentivize as much playtesting as possible. I don't think there'll be any significant balance changes prior starting the competition, but it'll be a short-term thing, and we may iterate. More details soon!!

11. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

One day delay may be too little as some guys might just not participate caus they heard of it too late and are too behing in the rankings to get a prize. The point would be to get as many testers as possible.

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

For our purposes, it's probably better to start early and run more smaller prize windows than to do a longer term competition.

13. Stexe

If Harness, Cause Fumble, and Flash Flood aren't banned the tournament is going to be beyond boring. There's just too many balance flaws right now for it to be interesting or fun.

neoncat likes this.
  14. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Stexe likes this.
  15. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I think the point is to prove it's broken, in case of brokenness.

16. Stexe

It is broken -- we've tested it. Even if there is a counter to it the game devolves into rock-paper-scissors before the match even begins -- which is poor design and bad balance. You want something where there are interesting and meaningful decisions before AND during the game. Granted there's not a huge reason to NOT test if Jon is willing to give away pizza and such for a few days before it is fixed. Just putting it down now so neoncat and I can point out we "called it." =)

17. The Run

The Run Mushroom Warrior

harness is not op, cause fumble is but then again if you come up against 2/3 wizards it turns into junk.

18. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

No need to call it 100x times though ;)

If this indeed is a problem, the more it's tested the better. Testing might not always be fun, that's why there's an incentive - they're basically asking you to break the game at this point. I suggest you you do this, with glee - and laugh all the way from the bank.

Sir Veza likes this.
  19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

In my experience, thorough testing is always boring, but still important.

Flaxative and Pengw1n like this.
  20. Stexe

Oh, yes. I've done quite a bit of beta testing in the past and I definitely enjoy breaking games, but I also know a major problem when I see one (and when I test it with 5+ people already). =)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014