On the Merits of Clerics

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by A Bear, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Since this thread, i've tried ditching the cleric to use two warriors and a mage, see how the mage supports them.

2. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a club of wrath =(

3. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

It's like the angry novice mace, except replacing the two minor heals with frenzy.

4. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

For a insane priest damage item try picking up the Martyr's Pick from The Wizard's Workshop all wizards quest it has 2x Violent Overswing

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

So does the Club Of Wrath. It also has two Bludgeons and two Unholy Frenzy(s).

6. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Incidentally I've looted and sold an additional 3 clubs of wrath today... I think the loot pool for some of the low level chests is a bit on the restricted side.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

That's fine and all but my item is as far as i understand 100% drop chance so its easy to get even if the item you suggest is possibly better ^^'

8. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

Only started playing a couple days ago, but Priests seem the most interesting of the 3 classes so far. Hitting a chain of Heals/Buffs after Altruism is super fun. Misguided Heal and Unholy Frenzy being dual purpose are both awesome.

9. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Altruism has been the awakening moment for my cleric play. While I still think many of their cards are very circumstantial or a little less powerful, their card draw ability really carries the day.

Clerics also make great "soft passers" where I don't want to move or take an offensive action, but I also don't want to risk ending the turn. Just throw a heal/buff on someone.

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

i never draw a single heal when my aulturism is active >.< and i have a healing priest....

11. Sir Knight

After my "in defence of Priests" post here, I find myself having Priest problems.

I figured I'd "quickly" (har, har) do the all-Priests challenge in Ruby Demon Portal. For about 4 or 5 retries, my Priests didn't . . . draw . . . attacks. Each battle stretched out as nary an attack card appeared for up to 5 rounds in a row.

Of course, I looked to my decks. I saw no Divine Weapon with more than four attacks in it. Divine Items, then? Heck no: I wound up finishing off one Imp with Unholy Frenzy and Misguided Healing (yes, casting both on the Imp). 37 card deck, 8 attack maximum. Compare to my Warrior's current 18, and Wizard's current 25.

In this level, you can't use any Talents, so options are limited. Recommendations?

12. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

Hmm... Dwarf skills have attacks and some boots have attacks.

13. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Yup--this was at the core of my cleric critique: clerics simply don't have enough offense cards on their own.

In a group, my new cleric makes for a great "home run hitter" who can swoop in and KO someone when he finally draws a 10 damage blow. As a team of three... I suppose you hope for a lot of home runs? It's particularly cruel that the all-priest challenge is also the first "timed" mission.

Maybe there are some low-level lifesteal divine items floating around (although I havent seen them) which will increase the number of offensive cards a cleric can draw. Otherwise, the reactionary and supportive themes of most cleric items will probably just slow you down too much.

14. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Its odd because Clerics are usually the most trouble when fighting npc squads of three, usually got some armor and pile on health regen, and they always got several strong attacks when i get close ><

15. Sir Knight

Then it looks like this "low-level challenge" does, in fact, require me to level quite awhile and come back with bigger guns. I don't yet have any dwarf Priests with racial skills: I was trying to see the effect of a low-level (and small-deck) Priest in the mix, and this one happened to be my dwarf.

I'm really exhausted on this one. Would anyone care to . . . just hire three level 10 dwarf Priests and duke it out in Ruby Demon Portal? And tell me what you win at the end? I'll game vicariously through you.

16. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

17. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

Didn't get it :(

18. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

I think sokolov's got it right here. Kitting out low level guys to maximize the percentage of attack cards probably outweighs having a few extra hp.

Which also opens up another can of worms: sometimes it seems like leveling up hurts more than it helps--particularly with the cleric. I don't want one (or zero) more hp if that means I get a new item slot demanding three more cards to thin out my offense!

This huge exception to this is [race] and [class] skills. Traits which act as instant cantrips and handy buffs? Yes please!

19. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

[​IMG]

Just got me a couple of these, gonna try it again with that party except with 2 of these on the Level 1s.

20. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Wait are you saying you did the all wizard quest and didn't get the pick?