Gotcha! Rules FAQ

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by neoncat, Dec 5, 2013.

1. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

There are certain interactions between cards which aren't obvious, even after the effect becomes apparent. Let's collect a list to help out new (and even experienced) players...

2. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

3. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Hover causes a character to ignore all terrain attachment effects except line-of-sight and blocking, and so will ignore:
    - healing and card-drawing from Blessed terrain.
    - open movement (via Smoke Bomb or a friendly Wall Of Illusion) when the underlying map terrain is difficult

4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Lifesaving Block won't trigger for...

Self-buffing attacks, when the base damage is not enough to kill you:
    Anvil Strike
    Backbiting Strike
    Cowardly Attack
    Devastating Blow
    Mob Attack
    Swarming Attack
    Touch Of Death
    Tree Limb Smash
    Zombie Mob

Damage modifiers, when the base damage is not enough to kill you:
    Raging Strike
    Unholy Curse
    Vulnerable
    Combustible

Any attack by your own team, notably:
    Firestorm
    Cone Of Cold (and other cones)

Terrain effects:
    Acid Blast
    Acid Jet
    Acid Pool
    Acid Spray
    Hot Spot
    Stone Spikes
    Volcano
    Wall Of Fire

(h/t to VNSAramaki)

Lusus121 likes this.
  5. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

and ignore open movement from Wall Of Fire

6. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

7. SgtSteve

SgtSteve Kobold

Path of Knives does not count the number of squares moved when calculating damage, but rather the total distance from your starting position to end position. I.E. if you move 3 squares, but are only ending up 2 from your start position (going around corners, etc) you only take 4 dmg.

neoncat likes this.
  8. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Arrogant Armor discards all attachments, not just enemy effects. It negates handicap cards like Mind Leak as well as positive effects like Altruism.
    However, it does not discard traits that you already had attached before it was drawn.

With armor cards, look for the Keep keyword. If it doesn't have Keep, it will be discarded after it blocks. These include:
    Horned Plates and Inspiring Armor, as well as many cards with "Aura" in the name.

9. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

This thread is a great idea!

I added a link in the regular FAQ thread to this one.

10. SgtSteve

SgtSteve Kobold

If you refresh an attachment with Arrogant Armor present, the old copy is pushed off by the new one, and then the Armor dispels the new one as well. In this fashion old traits can be removed.

11. ArtificerProdigy

ArtificerProdigy Orc Soldier

Bungled Heal uses party order for a tie breaker when distances are equivalent. I always put my wizard first in the party for this reason, since he has no blocks, and is often targeted first.

Bearson Onyx and neoncat like this.
  12. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Very nice thread idea.

13. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

When I think of it, one should probably put Warrior last too because in team moves he is usually the one who wants to step into a particular spot and hit something.

The only downside is that if the Warrior is bravely proceeding first down a narrow corridor, it's best if he moves first. I think an instinct for this is why I have tended to naturally make him first in the move order.

Ghostbrain likes this.
  14. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

15. Lusus121

Lusus121 Goblin Champion

I'll try to get this stuff on the wiki.

16. Finite

Finite Kobold

Stuff that doesn't trigger Lifesaving Block might trigger Flimsy Block because of the bonuses are added after block effects (which makes it quite nice in your typical zombie mob situation).

Blooming Ground can affect wall of stone, though. If the wall spreads it can actually put someone (preferably a nasty geomancer) IN a wall square.

doog37 likes this.
  17. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Does being encased in stone do anything, game mechanics -wise? Or can you just walk out, whistling and swinging your cane around like you had not a care in the world?

18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

(Off-topic...?) Another thread indicates that a character located on blocked terrain can neither move nor be targeted.

19. Eton

Eton Mushroom Warrior

20. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

(Note: These may be bugs, but they're long-lived and significant for certain cards.)

Wall Of Stone is a blocking terrain attachment. Thus, cards which care about blocking terrain will only look at unmodified terrain state (i.e., the underlying map terrain).

List of known buggy/affected cards:
    Cautious Sneak
    Wild Spark

List of unchecked cards:
    Large Weapon
    Anvil Strike