Can't Connect to Game

Discussion in 'Support' started by admin, Jun 2, 2013.

1. kaoao

kaoao Kobold

Im having the same problem as dreadpiratebrown. I disabled firewall, norton, and opened the ports. Could the problem be that I am on a university's internet?

2. gravitygroove

gravitygroove Kobold

This is kinda a huge fail for the game. Since the update, IE no longer works (maintence screen forever.) And chrome already doesn't work due to the java error i posted earlier. Running out of browsers to play your game on fellas, and quickly.

Note: i attempted all steps to resolve the IE issue, it worked before the update, has not since. I even rolled back my whole system a couple days, same result. So that's the biggest 2 browsers out there, non functional for Card Hunter. Nice.

3. j-wiz

j-wiz Blue Manchu Staff Member

Which version of IE? We're aware that IE8 and IE9 have problems, and we're looking into updating the status check to work around their problems when we can detect those browsers.

The warning about (Google Checkout) payments.html doesn't prevent connection to the game. I'm not sure why Chrome wouldn't be working for you. Did you try to load that check_maintenance.jsp URL directly? And what was your result?

4. gravitygroove

gravitygroove Kobold

Much to my surprise you guys must have fixed the chrome bug. Previously that java note would be in console and flash would simply not load beyond the initial checking of server status. Ie 8 is the version i was using. Chrome is my preferred browser, going to try to play a few modules and see if it works out for me.

5. j-wiz

Glad to hear Chrome is working for you now!

I think the big change with this last build was moving the maintenance check from http on port 8080 (which is, apparently, frequently blocked by various providers because it's commonly used for anonymizer proxies) to the standard https port 443.

6. Planeswalker

Planeswalker Kobold

Yeah there is definitely an issue on Internet Explorer 9. I have both Chrome and IE9 on my home and office PCs running on Windows 7, I tried this on both. When I press Play Now button on IE9 I see the "Card Hunter is currently down for maintenance. Please try again in a few minutes." message; but on Chrome I can play the game with no problems. At first I was confused, thought the game is down. But then I figured this out so I play Card Hunter on Chrome browser. But other players may also think servers are down while it's not and give up on the game; so hopefully this gets a fix.

7. Mandavar

Mandavar Kobold

It is the same for me, I can not connect with IE9, but Firefox works fine ..

8. j-wiz

IE9 should be working much better now. Since it was unable to make the pre-load maintenance check (trying to save you a download if there's a high likelyhood your client is out-of-date and we're in the process of pushing up a new version), we're now just skipping that for IE9. Now when the server is down for maintenance, you'll get to the login screen and get an error when you try to log in.

In our testing here, we found that IE9 was also having problems updating Flash automatically. The end result was that you'd end up with just a black screen running the wrong version unless you went and updated it yourself.

9. Martin

Martin Kobold

Last night (roughly around 11:30 pm Pacific time) the maintenance check was unable to GET check_maintenance.jsp (via https, on Chrome) for at least 10 minutes. I verified that other requestors (Firefox, Safari, wget) were also unable to retrieve check_maintenance. I was able to login on the the test server. The problem resolved itself with no changes on my end. https requests to other hosts were working normally. The hostname resolution for live-server did not change during this time (and I was not seeing host-unreachable in either the browser or the java console). Just thought I'd mention it, in case you find this helpful for debugging. Should you think of any other information that would be helpful in debugging (such as, perhaps, the actual times these requests went in: I just didn't think to note that down last night), do let me know, and I'll be happy to oblige if this happens again.

10. j-wiz

Thanks for the information. That would be during the window when we were deploying the latest build, so it's not surprising that your browsers weren't able to check on the server status at that time. If it comes up again, though, please do let us know.

11. MutantFod

MutantFod Kobold

I can't connect and i'm really not sure what to try anymore.
    I've tried the flash troubleshooter, disabling addons and reenabeling, rebooting, reinstalling and 4 different browsers. All come up with the same result.

=== CARD HUNTER CORE PC Client ===​
    Fri Nov 8 23:51:13 GMT+0100 2013​
    Sandbox Type: remote​
    Version 0.2.7673​
    SFS Version: 1.1.6​

Loading configuration sfs-config.xml​
    Initializing world screen​
    STACK TRACE:​
    TypeError: Error #1090​
    at com.smartfoxserver.v2.util::ConfigLoader/onConfigLoadSuccess()​
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()​
    at flash.net::URLLoader/onComplete()​
    CLIENT VERSION: 0.2.7673​
    Can anyone help me out here? :)

12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Did you try the things listed in the first post of this thread like opening the ports? Sounds like it could be one of those things blocking your access to the game.

13. MutantFod

MutantFod Kobold

I tried that, yeah. No luck.

When googling "TypeError: Error #1090" you get XML, Actionscript and Flash programs that are bugged, serverside, due to gibberish code.
    But if it was that, i guess more would be experiencing it.

14. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Are you behind a proxy at all? Error #1090 is an XML parser error, but if you're the only one getting it then it's gotta be okay on this end.

15. j-wiz

To expand on Megadestructo's response: that error appears to be that the client is receiving a non-error response when it goes to download the configuration XML file, but the content of the response isn't actually XML - meaning something other than the web server hosting the configuration file is handling the request.

16. MutantFod

MutantFod Kobold

Okay, I'm back and finally got to play it. The computer I'm borrowing is heavily infected with malware. I had to uninstall a broken AVG firewall, install, and, do a ton of sweeps with Avast and then it suddenly loaded the game.

Megadestructo likes this.
  17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

You should probably change all the passwords you've used on that machine unless you want a nasty surprise some day.

Megadestructo likes this.
  18. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Ditto on that and good luck! Glad you got it working and found the root of the issue!

19. Rolnor

Rolnor Kobold

After internet explorer and flash player updated screen goes blank after checking server status. What's going on?

20. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

May I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling flash as a first attempt to narrow down any problems?