[Sugestions] Improving underpowered cards or seldon used cards

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by tuknir, Nov 9, 2013.

1. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Hey, seems theres many threads about nerfing some cards, lets do the opossite, lets talk about how some underpowered or cards that almost never see play and pitch in some ideas how to improve then. let me start:

Mind Worm : this isnt a weak card but i fell it could have a bit more love

some Ways to improve it ( note: im not suggesting to put then all on the card, just some ideas how to change it a bit) :
    -Increase range from 4 to 5
    -Make it a dmging card, like dealing 1 dmg to the target
    - make it deal 2 dmg if target was zero cards in hand in the end of turn, so its not so useless if target only ends with 1 or none card in hand

fell free to give your love to other cards that needs it

Bearson Onyx likes this.
  2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I was under the impression that Mind Worm wasn't used much was due to it's limited availability (legendary & epic items only - apart from a single rare). I was planning to build around the card, when I got some items with it...

3. tuknir

Thats also true Pengw1n, not many itens have it, its pity i see so much potential on it, its a fun little card :)

Flaxative and Pengw1n like this.
  4. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Some of the non-keep armors (Cloth Armor, Rusty Armor) feel pretty useless. Usually they just get into the deck with some zero-token boots or helmet, and then end up discarded because they failed to trigger in the round they were drawn and I have better cards to keep. I don't have a better alternative to Shifty Skin Hat yet. For Boots, Nimble Chain Boots avoids this quite nicely (if you want an armor card on your token-free boots).

5. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Has anyone suggested a stone spike spell that covers more than a single tile? With all the acid and lava I can hose the battlefield down with, I'm a little surprised there isn't a "wall of spikes" card someplace in the game.
    Using it as area denial is probably limited by the fact you only get one tile, making acid probably more versatile for this (and also removing armor), while lava allows travel but deals more damage. Spikes don't seem to get the love and I don't know why yet.

6. Pengw1n

Caltrops, currently not available on any items. I suggested a change to Stone Spikes recently.

7. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Good grief, all squares within 2?! And it deals damage? Isn't that a bit extreme? I wouldn't give that to players anyway. :/
    That things's a tiny tac-nuke. I take it it's a boss card in one of the adventures you buy with pizza? I've never seen it before.

8. Pengw1n

Probably the reason it's emerald - and not available to players, and not even to any current monster decks from what I recall. But yes, there's certainly room for a spikey card in between.

9. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

That thread of yours isn't a bad idea at all. Melvelous might finally feel intimidating with that enhancement, too. Right now when he moves me onto spikes and overcomes his near-constant defensiveness debuff, I just sort of think... "Ho hum. You sure showed me."
    Personally, I'd like to see the stopping power of the tile attachment explored a bit more, and I think that would involve allowing the player more attachements as well, so basically a new card? If we wanted to make it feel a bit unique, then maybe allow players to place two of them, but unlike walls they don't need to be attached/adjacent to each other? Then restrict the range to something close like 3 so I'm not popping your party with them at the end of each round in MP constantly?

10. tuknir

Not eactly a terrain atachment, but what about a spell called "Worm Hole": it lets you place to teleport "portals" in a 6 range. Anyone that goes to the portal is teleported to the other end? maybe duration 3?

Bearson Onyx likes this.
  11. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

If it didn't halt movement and just let you continue your remaining move starting from the other side, that would be kind of neat. Just causes two distant tiles to be considered "adjoining" for purposes of movement... probably not missile fire, though.
    If such a thing as wall attachments were ever introduced, this would be a nice thing to stick to walls and keep off the floor.
    Then the confusing part is what do you do when someone else casts it too and you've got 4 identical looking portals?

Heh, we're not really improving underpowered cards anymore. Fun idea, though.

12. tuknir

Back on topic
    Bad Luck really needs a bit more love

some improvments:
    -the easier one-make it subtrat 2 from rolls. but i think this would make it very powerful

so what about
    - subtrat 1 from target rolls and every time target rolls a 2 or less it takes 3 dmg ?

13. VNSAramaki

VNSAramaki Mushroom Warrior

Bad Luck is a paper card, so it's not supposed to be too good.

14. Pengw1n

Agreed, it's a low quality card - however, maybe there should be a better version as well - "Really bad luck"? ;)

15. tuknir

that actualy makes more sense :)

but bad luck even as paper card is so sub-par

16. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

I would give it to players. Maybe you would start seeing cleansing (including smoke bomb) and free-move cards in play. Anything which changes the meta is good in my book.

Bad luck isn't a bad card - given that it can be played in so many ways (as mentioned here), but a boost would't be bad I guess.

Subtracting 2 would make it really powerful (change a 50% armor to 16.7% chance). Maybe give an extra effect each time someone fails a roll (like 1 or 2 for each point one was short to succeed in a roll).

17. picklesthecat

picklesthecat Kobold

I got Mindshrinker and I found Mind Worm to be a pretty bad card actually. I only rarely use the weapon because of the awesome attacks and would rather have almost any other priest spell over it.

In theory it's interesting, and I like cards that try to win the card game by denying your enemies (Like Short Perplexing Ray ). The problem is that like Accelerated Thoughts it's delayed. What makes it even worse is that there is no guarantee the enemy will lose any cards at all. In a typical game I'd usually see an enemy discard one card, making it as powerful as wavering faith and then even delayed, which is a paper card.

Personally what I'd do is make the card only last 2 turns, but instead make the target discard a card at the beginning on the next round (like when fire cards do damage). Your opponent can still counter it by having no cards in their hand at the end of a round, but it will more likely result in a 1 card advantage over 2 turns. I think it would be appropriately powerful for a bronze card.

18. SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown Mushroom Warrior

19. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I'd like to see bad luck apply to any rolls that the effected target is a party to, so applying it negatively to both target attack rolls as well as defensive. If their bad luck also effected their ability to get through my own armor (something that I guess is considered "my" roll?) then it would start feeling a bit more like "bad luck" and not simply "the curse of crappy defense". The only time I've really gotten it to feel really useful is tossing it onto bosses like Melvelous who seem to have near permanent defensiveness debuffs attached to them. It was when his attacks started failing more that I realized that unlucky really aught to apply both ways to feel right. Make it feel like the target's attacks are also just slightly easier to block.

20. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I support the feeling that cards like terrain cleansing effects would be really nice to see having more value and more use, but this feels like an extremely overboard way to start out trying to encourage this. I can list a few reasons and maybe some of them will make some sense.

1. This is a card that does damage like an AoE burst. It's like a fireball that also leaves a humongous terrain attachment that has stopping terrain. It's enormous, so it's easy to hit a lot of characters with it, and even when cleansed in some way, you still probably do 4 damage to everybody. We'd need a bit more than just cleansing effects to cope with it in any sort of meta.
    2. It's emerald quality... so any arguments anyone has over nimble strike will likely be magnified against this card by a ton. It's rare, so players who have it will be the envy of anyone who doesn't ever get it. It deals instant AoE damage at the moment it's cast. It's also a terrain attachment that does damage. It's got stopping power. It's so huge that it would take really big cleansing to deal with it. You're not going to just use a single spot cleanse, or make a little lava bridge to get across something like this. It's 5 spaces wide, like rockfalls. This one card carries a ton of effects that would normally take several cards together to replicate.
    3. Getting a character stuck in the middle of something that big like an elf wizard will be a situation where you either have exactly what it takes to escape from it, or you're just pretty much dead. You're probably going to end up taking terrain damage at least twice, plus the 4 just for getting hit with it in the first place. The enemy will also probably be a control wizard so you're fighting Winds of War on your way out of it the entire time. This means that either cleansing effects or free move won't feel like an exciting new option to this wizard's player, they will probably feel like a flat-out necessity that they absolutely can't live without. I think we want players to feel like protection from this new sort of threat is a wise option to consider, but not a downright essential that they can't survive without gearing themselves against constantly. Consider how everyone already seems to think that team moves are pretty much essential because of the preponderance of encumbrance effects the game has. The presence of a card like this in PvP will probably magnify that.

I think that if we wanted to introduce a more attachment-centered environment where cleansing effects felt merely valuable but not essential, then large-scale AoE attachments are a great way to start, but I'd suggest several alternatives to Caltrops.
    I'd make them less of a direct-damage effect, for starters. Not all terrain needs to be painful. A spell that spreads kudzu radially outward from a center point in random growth directions (creating a non-perfect region of stopping terrain) would get you a lot of AoE stopping terrain without also spelling doom for anyone with an elf's hit point total. I'd prefer an effect like this over something like the giant mud pits because it wouldn't be a perfectly dense 5x5 area of stops. Another one that would be pretty fun would be just coating an enormous area with ice, such that movement across it can only be linear. All moves would behave a little bit like charges, and taking a corner would force a character to use two moves instead of one. Annoying as hell, but it's not going to kill you.
    I'd also encourage more AoE terrain spells with defensive-like effects, like the smoke bomb. They're annoying, but in themselves are relatively benign, to the point where people carry them simply to cover up other more dangerous terrain effects. An environment where I'm cleansing an opening through your defenses to shoot at you sounds much more fun for both of us than a situation where I'm desperately cleansing my way out of an enormous fire pit that I can't escape from or something that's going to kill me if I don't get rid of it immediately.
    Am I making the distinction clear? I just quit smoking today, so there's a very real chance what I'm typing only looks like English to me and is actually random gibberish...

spacedust, Mirkel and Kalin like this.