Wow, Pathfinding

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Knight, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

We've got a few threads for underappreciated cards/items. I want to quote this little post:
    This is an understatement: not of how "creative" you have to be in order to use it, but how AMAZING Pathfinding is. I didn't fully appreciate that Step cards count. And that Lindbergh might be wrong about the "can't build a deck devoid of any basic Moves" part. In short . . .

Pathfinding is a replacement for the lost Attack Skill.

Start from a deck with Step cards on the weapons. Then you can get Boots with a single non-Step-card Move pretty easily: Good Spiked Boots is lovely, Light Chain Boots is utilitarian, and Boots Of Aggression has NO basic Moves (though you have to like Charge damage). Then you choose an Elf Skill with Pathfinding and little else: Practiced Scouting is okay, while Frightened Scouting has NO basic Moves.

Frightened Scouting forces you to have Cowardly. However, if you happen to draw Cowardly during a Pathfinding run then you will discard it with no ill effects.

So if you use Boots Of Aggression and Frightened Scouting, then Pathfinding IS Attack Skill. Personally, I'd just pick something like Light Chain Boots where the remaining Move is incredibly useful (Quick Step), and then Pathfinding is basically win-win.

Edited P.S.: Sorry, I misread. Frightened Scouting has Elvish Mobility. I thought it was Elvish Insight. There is now a teeny tiny chance of Pathfinding drawing Move cards no matter what, but you still can force it to draw only cool ones.

Flaxative, Zalminen and Megadestructo like this.
  2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Actually, imo Pathfinding is a problematic card in that elves pretty much NEED it.

Cycler for 2 x steps
    Cycler for 2 x moves
    Removes encumber
    Cantrip enabler

Too many good stuff all in 1 which makes me wary. ugh...

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I was thinking about how it has other unique qualities, too. Like how Pathfinding will go through your whole deck, while Attack Skill will stop at six cards.

And when you say "Cantrip enabler," you're referring to the Magic definition of "Cantrip," being card-draw, right? Because it doesn't seem to have Card Hunter Cantrip.

4. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

The fact that you can only get one Pathfinding card period makes me not wary. Great card, but then again, so is Slippery. Very different admittedly, but I much prefer Slippery on my Priest/Mage.

Flaxative likes this.
  5. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I've known for awhile that Pathfinding can be used like that, but I still generally prefer to use Escapist as my elven trait. Pathfinding is very good, especially if you use heaps of step attacks; but Slippery is excelent regardless of what else is in your deck, and Elvish Insight is pretty good too. So I almost always use Escapist.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

A bit of both actually. As in holding onto Pathfinding to setup burst attacks with Quick Run/Quick Step. With elves being fragile as it is, its a nice combo even w/o using monkey warriors.

ps: monkey warriors = warriors that dance around the whole field from 1 end to the other using tons of steps.

7. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Definitely an under-appreciated card, but for me it goes in the same category as elvish insight.

"I would really love building with this card, but then I would have to run elves..."

Personally, I like Inspirational Thinking.

spacedust likes this.
  8. vacantskies

vacantskies Kobold

I definitely like using Pathfinding with Quick Run. Wait till you have the perfect attack then pathfind to a Quick Run.

9. progammer

progammer Ogre

Pathfinding is problematic when you load up your warrior with vibrant pain. It is designed to draw move card simply because drawing attack only would make it very powerful. Now, step attack card gets even more powerful due to its synergy with pathfinding.

It's a good combo, but as it has been discussed before, there can only be one per deck, and the item that come with it has 2 more move or 1 move card and a dangerous trait. You have to spend a gold token to get Escaping Run with it to minimize move card without puting a drawback card in your deck.

In actual effectiveness, its a card that generate +1 card advantage, guaranteed, unlike parry or toughness which requires opponent's interaction. And if built correctly, can make sure 2 attack card is drawn. The encumber shred is really not needed, but it is buffed to promote more uses of elves vs encumber party.

TL;DR It is the best card advantage type of card available in the game. Dwarven Battle Cry come in second place.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

What about Inspirational Thinking, as mentioned above? It's just as much card advantage, right?

11. zelink551

It's also worth noting that the items that Pathfinding are on (5) either have Cowardly or moves, so it won't be perfect.

12. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

Yes, Inspirational Thinking is certainly better than Pathfinding. You don't have to build your deck around it, it's a lot more flexible, it's useful in pretty much any round, etc. On the other hand, the fact that you have to blow a major token on it, and the fact that even if you do the rest of the cards on that skill aren't going to be very good - that makes Pathfinding appealing.

13. zelink551

I dunno, Inspirational Thinking combined with Shuffle Team and Weak Parry; that's a pretty decent lineup. I usually run that on my high level Human Priest.

Flaxative and Vakaz like this.
  14. progammer

progammer Ogre

It's a decent one, I think i forgot about it, it probably rank somewhere between path finding and dwarven battle cry.

Edit: Never mind i'm drunk, dwraven battle cry is not comparable to both pathfinding and inspirational thinking. But between inspirational thinking and pathfinding, ill rank pathfinding higher